Jack Monroe #65 Green gages and ham

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Screenshot_20200827_230725_com.instagram.android.jpg

Spotted this little exchange on insta on Thursday night. Someone probably already shared it. I am very behind, I'm busy don't you know

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 26
To be fair it would be quite an achievement to mess up Mac & cheese from a can.
Blended? Actually I am having flashbacks to when my dad was in hospital and we referred to his tube food as macaroni cheese....bleargh!

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
For twenty years I've stared my level best
To see if evening—any evening —would suggest
A patient etherized upon a table;
In vain. I simply wasn't able.

(C. S. Lewis)
Yesssss - a poetry clapback, I love it! (Describing an evening as being like a patient etherized on a table is incredibly weird and creepy, isn't it?).

YOU SHOULDN'T LET POETS LIE TO YOU Art Print by Frejjuya | Redbubble

I hate vegetables with mac and cheese, pls don't ruin my delicious plate of carbs 'n' starch with your healthy tit, it's so WRONG.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
It is actually poetry, though I'm not sure that I entirely agree with the literary world's opinion. It's a relatively well known couple of lines (well, perhaps more well known by those of us that have been forced to suffer from it) from The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock by TS Eliot.

Let us go then, you and I,
When the evening is spread out against the sky
Like a patient etherized upon a table;
Let us go, through certain half-deserted streets,
The muttering retreats
Of restless nights in one-night cheap hotels
And sawdust restaurants with oyster-shells:
Streets that follow like a tedious argument
Of insidious intent
To lead you to an overwhelming question ...
Oh, do not ask, “What is it?”
Let us go and make our visit.

In the room the women come and go
Talking of Michelangelo.

Etc, etc, et bloody cetera.
Oh dear, well I am showing my ignorance there. 😳 I had a sinking feeling just after I'd posted that it would turn out to be the work of a Famous Poet. I still don't think it's much good though, sorry T.S. old chap, but I'm clearly an unlearned oik so what do I know?!

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Oh dear, well I am showing my ignorance there. 😳 I had a sinking feeling just after I'd posted that it would turn out to be the work of a Famous Poet. I still don't think it's much good though, sorry T.S. old chap, but I'm clearly an unlearned oik so what do I know?!
You are not on your own. :D I would say in our defence, quoting a few lines of a poem without the context of the rest of it completely looses its meaning.

Though overall, after reading the full poem added by @Blurp I am in agreement with @Veronicaaa " Describing an evening as being like a patient etherized on a table is incredibly weird and creepy, isn't it"

Reactions: 15
It's an easy mistake to make...oor Jackie does tend to speak with the florid, turgid prose of a turn of the century affected intellectual 🤣

I mostly find Eliot pretty overblown, but I do quite like the Four Quartets:

O dark dark dark. They all go into the dark,
The vacant interstellar spaces, the vacant into the vacant,
The captains, merchant bankers, eminent men of letters,
The generous patrons of art, the statesmen and the rulers,
Distinguished civil servants, chairmen of many committees,
Industrial lords and petty contractors, all go into the dark,
And dark the Sun and Moon, and the Almanach de Gotha
And the Stock Exchange Gazette, the Directory of Directors,
And cold the sense and lost the motive of action.
And we all go with them, into the silent funeral,
Nobody's funeral, for there is no one to bury.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Morning cabal. Apologies for harking back to the previous thread..
Why was that steak and mushroom thing green? I don't understand

• Haha
Reactions: 13
OMG!!! After I brought up the fact that this book was mentioned 4 years ago and never completed...hi jack 👋 FYI looking your purple risotto made me almost throw up

69CD9822-8604-4A84-AE1E-BE232BE4E6E8.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 27
It is actually poetry, though I'm not sure that I entirely agree with the literary world's opinion. It's a relatively well known couple of lines (well, perhaps more well known by those of us that have been forced to suffer from it) from The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock by TS Eliot.

Let us go then, you and I,
When the evening is spread out against the sky
Like a patient etherized upon a table;
Let us go, through certain half-deserted streets,
The muttering retreats
Of restless nights in one-night cheap hotels
And sawdust restaurants with oyster-shells:
Streets that follow like a tedious argument
Of insidious intent
To lead you to an overwhelming question ...
Oh, do not ask, “What is it?”
Let us go and make our visit.

In the room the women come and go
Talking of Michelangelo.

Etc, etc, et bloody cetera.
I must most respectfully disagree; I love TS Eliot (though I didn’t study his prose at school, which is probably why!!). Sigh. That’s another thing she’s fucked for me then. I’ll add it to the List of Fucked Things That I Previously Used To Like:
Risotto
Macaroni Cheese
Pianos
Sideboards
Cats
Tatts
Hats
Flowers
TS Eliot ☹

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Morning cabal. Apologies for harking back to the previous thread..
Why was that steak and mushroom thing green? I don't understand
And steak is fairly expensive so why would you want to blend one?! Admittedly this is from *whispers* Ocado but from memory a sirloin starts at £6 odd, so fancy turning one into Shrek’s swamp

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 23
And steak is fairly expensive so why would you want to blend one?! Admittedly this is from *whispers* Ocado but from memory a sirloin starts at £6 odd, so fancy turning one into Shrek’s swamp
Gonna go out on a limb and assume it's rinsed tinned stewing steak :LOL: :sick:

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 29
Morning all. Did an epic Grunka to catch up. Feel bilious from the thought of fish fingers and tinned macaroni cheese. Then worse from the various green/purple slops she's ephemerally produced recently. (In the vein of Jack, I'm now using words however I please, meaning doesnt matter)

Its the weekend, wonder what shenanigans she'll get up to if she's ALONE...

• Haha
  • Heart
OMG!!! After I brought up the fact that this book was mentioned 4 years ago and never completed...hi jack 👋 FYI looking your purple risotto made me almost throw up

View attachment 226500
Hmmm I just can't see how she's going to produce something that focuses on the experiences and stories of others... 🤔

Can just see her interviewing people, constantly interrupting to top trump/out pov them. It'll be a struggle for her to shut up and put others at the centre of anything.

Though granted, I'm sure there will be a good chunk of her going over the same old story again... 😴

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.