Jack Monroe #60 Everything I do, I do it for ... ME!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know we've said it before but I cannot stand the way she talks about food. All that "oooft" and "ohhhh" and "thickly sliced" "dripping in butter" makes me want to hurl. The fakery of it! She doesn't eat like that, at all. It's just more adopt-a-persona

• Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
I thought she didn’t like making cakes ? Seem to recall something about birthday cakes ?
Yes! I remember this, she spouted off about how much she can't stand making cakes and begrudgingly made one for L's birthday. I'm sure L would've preferred her not to bother having to listen to/read all that. What a moron

Reactions: 12
She can't. He isn't there. He's gone back to his dad's house, his actual home. His stepmum and siblings are also there and I'm guessing as it is a Friday they are probably having a lush fish and chip supper. Even if not fish and chips, maybe a microwave meal, but is being served with love.
Mackie Jonroe can't compete with that so we get the sad fish posts about being alone because guilting a 10yo kid is her niche.
I mean, you're probably right, but this makes the whole 'oh I'd make a cake but I couldn't possibly eat it ALL BY MYSELF' even worse, in a way, considering she could give some to SB to take over to his dad's house. I'm heterosexual and I can't begin to imagine myself not baking a cake purely because I didn't have a man in my life to feed it to, it's actually really regressive.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
I mean, you're probably right, but this makes the whole 'oh I'd make a cake but I couldn't possibly eat it ALL BY MYSELF' even worse, in a way, considering she could give some to SB to take over to his dad's house. I'm heterosexual and I can't begin to imagine myself not baking a cake purely because I didn't have a man in my life to feed it to, it's actually really regressive.
Yup. This is her in a nutshell. You either make a cake for yourself or to feed others. She does neither. As has been repeatedly mentioned on this platform, SHE DOES NOT LIKE FOOD. She certainly doesn't enjoy feeding people, let alone her child.
For me (a basic cook at best) the joy of feeding my children is absolute. To imagine my kid going to his dad's with a homemade cake would be lovely. Mackie just would never.

Reactions: 18
She makes a personality point of having crisps in her butties because she thinks it's what authentically Common People do.

As has been repeatedly mentioned on this platform, SHE DOES NOT LIKE FOOD. She certainly doesn't enjoy feeding people, let alone her child.
It's this, but it's also even worse than this, IMO, because she also sees food as some sort of bargaining chip (be it a bargain she's making with herself or some imagined bargain she's making with a partner). It's such an unhealthy way way to look at it for *anyone*, let alone a cookery writer.

Reactions: 24
duck sake...she's recommending vegan cheese now. NEWSFLASH she's not a bleeping vegan. She's never been a bleeping vegan. She never will be a bleeping vegan. She's robbing people by pretending to be a bleeping vegan and written a book pretending to be a bleeping vegan.
Am I swearing loudly enough?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 36
There's just a really obvious lack of generosity of spirit with her, which comes through in her recipes, and her attitude to food and to life in general.
ETA - sorry, this was meant to be an add-on to my previous post but 💁‍♀️

Reactions: 14
Why does she always go on about putting crisps in sandwiches?! It’s something most people have done for years she didn’t bloody invent it!

She makes a personality point of having crisps in her butties because she thinks it's what authentically Common People do.
Just saw this part of your reply. Makes sense now!

Reactions: 15
Yes! I remember this, she spouted off about how much she can't stand making cakes and begrudgingly made one for L's birthday. I'm sure L would've preferred her not to bother having to listen to/read all that. What a moron
Maybe she likes making cakes NOW but not tomorrow and not yesterday and certainly not on DKL or for someone’s birthday (how dare they have birthdays when they should be celebrating Jack) and she’s definitely not making one if she’s not allowed to complain about it. Keep up! Now duck off!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
I can't imagine being a literal cooking writer and posting that you don't want to make a cake because you won't get a shag out of it. Nigella makes cakes all the time, Jack. Be more Nigella.
Christ, I love baking cos I find it incredibly therapeutic but I dislike most cake unless it is carrot or cheese, so I (obviously before lockdown) would take my produce into work or deliver to my mum. There are always cake lovers you can foist your baking onto, without having a shag.

• Haha
Reactions: 35
Christ, I love baking cos I find it incredibly therapeutic but I dislike most cake unless it is carrot or cheese, so I (obviously before lockdown) would take my produce into work or deliver to my mum. There are always cake lovers you can foist your baking onto, without having a shag.
Exactly! Part of the joy of baking (or indeed food-making of any capacity - but especially baking, probably) is surely the enjoyment others get out of it? It's really quite the insight into how her mind works. If it's not for her personal benefit, it's not worth doing?

Reactions: 16
It's actually pretty outrageous as the way she was first presented to the media was starving single Mum rubbing together pennies to keep food on the table for her son. Yet it sounds like the Father is incredibly supportive and helped keep him well fed and clothed and looked after him. I understand the need to keep the peace as I could imagine Jackie pulling contact/making up lies if he started trying to tell his story to defend his position.

She did write that thank you Guardian article but it came about 8 years too late. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/dec/27/jack-monroe-motherhood-thank-you-brave-father

Imagine the tit he may have got for not being supportive? I recall her parents having to defend their position too.

Just found this... https://www.motherandbaby.co.uk/fam...pasta-and-green-beans-from-a-girl-called-jack

That looks so dry! I could imagine the sardines disintegrating to the dry/sticky pasta... and when combined with the raisins 🤢I think you're going to need a lot more than 1 tbspn of oil to help that out!
Sardines and raisins? Why?!

• Sick
Reactions: 10
There are so many easy cakes you can just throw together, it wouldn't even matter if some of it ended up going stale. She's a twit.

NB - You can't buy intimacy with food.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
It seems Jack did try a photography career. Everyone called her Mel - and she did some commissions, for Essex Pride, etc, and local things with the Echo.

But then someone (how much credence to this, not sure) has said she always wanted a baby - so she "got one".
It was mentioned in another thread that she supposedly got a job at journalism internship through hassling the local paper. It strikes me that Jack thinks she's entitled to have a certain type of career but without the things that usually go along with it - proper training. I don't think you have to go to university to become an artist or a writer, but even if you have a lot of natural talent you'll need to put in the work and I think Jack feels that she should be entitled to the opportunity without the work.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.