Jack Monroe #60 Everything I do, I do it for ... ME!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yes! I remember this, she spouted off about how much she can't stand making cakes and begrudgingly made one for L's birthday. I'm sure L would've preferred her not to bother having to listen to/read all that. What a moron
I wouldn’t be at all surprised if she used food as a tool to control. We know she’s said she has to be the only cook in the relationship. Imagine if her partner, maybe returning from a long day at work (actual, real work), just fancied cooking themselves egg on toast or pasta, but Jackie strides in to the kitchen all “this is my domain!”. Imagine being presented with a bowl of her slop, when all you want is a simple proper meal, something simple with taste and texture, and having to praise it to the skies or otherwise face the histrionics (the wailing, howling banshee stuff Jackie herself has told us she does), I particularly felt for Louisa when Jack was in her (already 3 years out of date) “breakfast bowl” phase. I can’t imagine anything worse than being faced with an enormous bowl of mushed up fruit and yoghurt, with “decorations” on it. It’s far too much “stuff”. (IMO, max 100g yoghurt and 50g fruit - otherwise it just sits on your stomach in an unpleasant way). Not only feeling obliged to force that lot down. BUT THEN being expected to wax lyrical about how marvellous and wonderful it all is (🤢) in fear of yet more histrionics kicking off if you were not sufficiently effuse in your compliments.
Louisa had a lucky escape if you ask me.

INSUBORDINATE MAVERICK
This is making me go off Rankin a bit. I’d assumed he was an intelligent man. 😕

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
I can’t imagine anything worse than being faced with an enormous bowl of mushed up fruit and yoghurt, with “decorations” on it. It’s far too much “stuff”.
"Decorations" which include an unexpected reminder of your beloved dead dog. Thoughtful!

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 26
duck me. I’d rather poke my eyeballs out with a hot spoon (or, as is the case right now, when all of the kids are in bed, have toast and marmite, followed by Nutella and crumpets). What is wrong with this woman that she has to dip a pickled egg in bleeping Frazzles? Just eat the egg and have the frazzles. Jesus wept.
I have you say that it's a thing here that you have a pickled egg and a packet of crisps, you drop the egg into the crisps , shake and then eat them

• Wow
Reactions: 9
The second recipe which comes up for me is haggis scotch eggs with irn bru dip, courtesy of asda 'good living' https://www.asdagoodliving.co.uk/food/recipes/haggis-scotch-eggs-with-irn-bru-dip #scotlandsaysno
Irn Bru dip?! Next Jackie will be saying she invented it, what with Scotland being her "home".

There's a Slimming World recipe for cooking a lump of gammon in a slow cooker sitting in orange fizzy, which is really nice. I once tried it with Irn Bru Extra and it was so bad - ham and Irn Bru is not a good pairing, I can't imagine cooking anything with it being a good idea?

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
Back in the Grunka of DKL, there is a screen shot from SB's dad stating he has him 3-4 days a week or more and paid maintenance, He also provided food, Christmas presents etc during her 'poverty'. He also offered to take him full time whilst she got back on her feet. Bet she’s annoyed we've got that one! As it doesn’t suit her narrative
thread 9 #516
DIG THAT OUT CAPTAIN PLEASE

S’ok seen it now. Was that on Digitalspy?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Irn Bru dip?! Next Jackie will be saying she invented it, what with Scotland being her "home".

There's a Slimming World recipe for cooking a lump of gammon in a slow cooker sitting in orange fizzy, which is really nice. I once tried it with Irn Bru Extra and it was so bad - ham and Irn Bru is not a good pairing, I can't imagine cooking anything with it being a good idea?
Irn 👏 Bru 👏 is 👏 not 👏 a 👏 seasoning 👏

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
She’s probably sat there chomping at the bit / her £15 JoJo Maman Bébé teething necklace that she can’t do a potatoes-esque think piece to inspire the actual WC kids who’ve been fucked over on a levels. She must be genuinely worried of being rumbled on twitter if she dares as it’s happened to other cosplayers before.

Tbh I find her experience soooo inspiring, I can’t imagine how difficult it would have been growing up with a higher rate tax payer father, in a 5 bedroom (mortgaged) home, attending grammar school, being chauffeured round extra curriculars in a luxury vehicle. I imagine papa’s buy to let empire was quite the burden during the 2008 crash, the family’s net worth must have plummeted close to just the one million - heaven forbid 😱 Even with all of THAT stacked against her she still managed to secure a £27k p/a job, completely coincidentally in her father’s industry, in her early 20s followed by a series of media appearances arranged by family friends. Just so inspiring & reassuring to know that you too can escape life as a top 5%er by whinging on Twitter enough :’) x

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 53
Well, I'm only ½ Scottish (actual Edinburger) & she can get tae duck. Never heard such balls in my life... Gie ya Heid a wobble Jackie.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
I live alone and regularly make myself a cake, (esp lemon drizzle, which isn't even proper cake-sized, as I do it in a loaf tin). Granted, I do also have people round for tea and also pass slices up to my mum / sister / neighbours but I guess this has never occurred to Jack.
I am single (with a kid), and will happily make a cake just because I'm a greedy goblin who likes cake. I'd probably be less likely to bake one if I'd gone all Jilly Cooper novel and taken a lover, because this fact is probably not at all a sexy one 😂

I don't generally have potato sandwiches either tho 😂
Mackie does have a recipe for one, if you fancy it....?

Last edited:
Reactions: 13
Crisp butties are a definite delight. Over many years of research I can confirm the best combination is:

Shop bought cheese sandwich, yes just cheese, usually cheapest option out there. At a push, a ‘Cheese Savoury’ one, and combine with a crunchy sweet/sour layer of Walkers Prawn Cocktail crisps.

A genuine taste sensation.

Now, where’s my Guardian column?

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Ian Lovely Rankin! No!!! Do not get sucked into her vortex. All is not as it seems!!!! Do Not. Engage.
Too late , she now thinks he’s one of her bff’s.

Run Ian Run.

She’s lonely, it would seem all she has is social media when her Son isn’t with her and even then he’s at an age where he doesn’t need her all the time.

I’m not sympathetic to her at all but puff pieces on potatoes and posing in her pants isn’t going to help her mental state or pay the bills.

She should face the fact her days as a serious cookery writer are gone because she’s unpredictable and pretty useless at decent recipes. There are better, talented cookery writers out there , get applying to those supermarkets Jack!

Reactions: 14
Mackie does have a recipe for one, if you fancy it....?
Oh, I actually remember her crisp buttie recipe, because she said on a podcast that she'd written it for the guardian but not actually made the one for the photo they used - someone else did, using her recipe - and she was complaining that it wasn't made to her satisfaction, and the photo had no bearing on her recipe. The pic, obviously, makes it look quite delightful and I don't see how anyone could have come up with anything different by following her instructions https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...onroe-presents-aunty-helens-potato-sandwiches

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.