Jack Monroe #575 The only poverty she's interested in alleviating is her own

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Time for another hard shift in t’gravy mines. (Also northern so allowed to make this joke 😂)
I don't even mind southerners making these jokes* - I'm proud of my clichéd northern heritage. 😂

Sadly, t'gravy mines is all shut down now. All t'gravy is imported from China these days. Thank God t'Yorkshire puddin' factories and t'pease puddin' quarries are still up and runnin'.

*as long as it's in good faith - so watch thi'sen, any Southern Softies who fancy havin' a go. ;) We'll set ferrets on ye.
---
Did you touch Yr forelock?
😮

tit!

I knew I'd forgotten something!

😂

• Haha
Reactions: 36
I don't even mind southerners making these jokes* - I'm proud of my clichéd northern heritage. 😂

Sadly, t'gravy mines is all shut down now. All t'gravy is imported from China these days. Thank God t'Yorkshire puddin' factories and t'pease puddin' quarries are still up and runnin'.

*as long as it's in good faith - so watch thi'sen, any Southern Softies who fancy havin' a go. ;) We'll set ferrets on ye.
This is actually a genuine problem in my ends - the days of the rock factories appear to be numbered because cheap Chinese imitation is taking over. The days of the chicken tikka masala and weed flavoured sticks shaped like a cock may be soon over.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 21
This is actually a genuine problem in my ends - the days of the rock factories appear to be numbered because cheap Chinese imitation is taking over. The days of the chicken tikka masala and weed flavoured sticks shaped like a cock may be soon over.
Every bloody thing you buy these days comes from China.

And 9 times out of 10 the quality is shyte.

Reactions: 26
Or in one of the outhouses, maybe?

I jest. I too live in a northern Victorian terrace. Our kitchen feels crowded with two of us in it. They weren’t built for leisurely conversations with friends whilst rustling up a little plate of something, were they?
Coal shed conversion? It could fit there. :p

I've been getting Facebook ads for cottages and it's sad to see names that reflect their former use. There's lots to do with the fishing industry in places like Cornwall, but also converted shops - The Old Bike Shop, The Old Sweet Shop, that sort of thing. I keep thinking 'well the house is beautiful, but it's sad to see the bike shop go'. Maybe that's just me. 🤷‍♀️

dies anyone else watch Ann Reardon on YouTube? Her latest video includes a section on people deep-frying corn starch toothpicks and eating them, and eating packing peanuts because "it's just like wotsits". Can't help but think guest missed a trick - she could have claimed to be being forced to rummage in bins for packing peanuts and corn starch bags etc

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 29
dies anyone else watch Ann Reardon on YouTube? Her latest video includes a section on people deep-frying corn starch toothpicks and eating them, and eating packing peanuts because "it's just like wotsits". Can't help but think guest missed a trick - she could have claimed to be being forced to rummage in bins for packing peanuts and corn starch bags etc
Can't help wondering what the effect would be, um, downstream of a diet of packing peanuts. No wonder our sewers and rivers are a mess.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
Well, no, although I'm sure it's only a matter of time before Google AI does. But it's a much better option for packing than plastic that is hard to recycle.
Fair enuff.

Buy a cheap thing on Amazon and feed your family on the packing nuts. A campaign I can see 30p Lee getting behind.

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Coal shed conversion? It could fit there. :p

I've been getting Facebook ads for cottages and it's sad to see names that reflect their former use. There's lots to do with the fishing industry in places like Cornwall, but also converted shops - The Old Bike Shop, The Old Sweet Shop, that sort of thing. I keep thinking 'well the house is beautiful, but it's sad to see the bike shop go'. Maybe that's just me. 🤷‍♀️
Ye Olde crappy Bungalow

• Haha
Reactions: 32
They're made out of corn and they're edible and compostable (provided you get the ones that dissolve in water).
Didn’t lush have to switch from their popcorn packaging because kids kept eating it and though “safe” it didn’t go down well with parents or have I inadvertently believed an urban myth?

ETA: they definitely used popcorn so my memory isn’t failing me there (see https://www.lush.com/uk/en/a/wed-rather-have-box-eco-pops ) but it doesn’t say why they switched.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 19
Ann Reardon's point was that stuff like toothpicks isn't tested for food safety in the same way as stuff intended to be eaten but at the same time idk what bacteria could live in a packing peanuts or survive being deep fried

Anyway if guest does not post a recipe for packing peanut, tinned black bean and tinned prune curry with Percy pig sauce in the next week I will be disappoint. It could be called Shag me, I'm desperate Peanut Curry

• Haha
Reactions: 29

---

😮

tit!

I knew I'd forgotten something!

😂
Nay lass, tha'll be in bother with t'pit owner. Ye'll get mithered (pronounced: mithered) at, ye daft puddin.
---
So true. It’s all so patronising and always people of Jack’s ilk who have either never been on a budget or were briefly skint during student days.

I also hate the batch cook and freeze. Like I don’t care about the electricity cost of running a chest freezer, it’s whatever but have these people ever been in a Northern terrace or most housing association properties up here? There’s no space for a bloody chest freezer, the kitchens are almost universally not big enough to swing a cat in. I know batch cooking and freezing is good but where am I gonna fit a chest freezer or second freezer Jack??
Mebbe if you stopped swinging t'cat around, you too could afford a Stetson. Or summat!!

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Nay lass, tha'll be in bother with t'pit owner. Ye'll get mithered (pronounced: mithered) at, ye daft puddin.
---

Mebbe if you stopped swinging t'cat around, you too could afford a Stetson. Or summat!!
I’ll never forget the day I heard someone say mither in real life and found it was pronounced mither and not mither!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 35
They're made out of corn and they're edible and compostable (provided you get the ones that dissolve in water).
I ended up in hospital as a toddler as a result of eating an old-style polystyrene packing peanut 🍉

Bet it had more texture than any of Jack's slop, though...

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 25
When I lived in eastern Europe in the 80s, we took giant bags of things resembling packing peanuts to parties, (I think they were called chrupki). They came in giant sacks like pillowcases and we used them as bean bags to sit on, before eating them like bland wotsits. Those were the days...😀

• Haha
  • Wow
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.