Jack Monroe #575 The only poverty she's interested in alleviating is her own

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Isn't that just how poshos hold their wine?

Where did she meet Tom Parker-Bowles? I bet he didn't talk to her again after that event.
---

It's been years since I was in Celery. Nice to know absolutely nothing has changed on the tartan bagpipe front. 😂
Such a shame. If guest had played her cards right she could now be married to the Queen's son. Her marxist-royalist family would love that

• Haha
Reactions: 52
Such a shame. If guest had played her cards right she could now be married to the Queen's son. Her marxist-royalist family would love that

Not to mention 21 gun salutes would be bumped up to 22 gun salutes so that Big Dave and his Big Gun could join in.

• Haha
Reactions: 45
Picture the scene.

There's a banquet in Buckingham Palace.

Many important dignitaries.

HRH King Charles: "Has anyone seen Princess guest?"

Flunkey: "She said she was going to the kitchens to supervise the preparations for the banquet."

HRH King Charles: "Holy Christ! Call out the guard! Tell them to use their bayonets if necessary but she must be stopped!"

• Haha
Reactions: 43
That was at the Fortnum and Mason food awards, I think.

I'm not sure if they still speak but he has this quote associated with Grifty Kitchen:

View attachment 2957612
I think by saying her books were "delectable", he meant "if you chopped up this book and boiled the pages, it would still taste better than her slop".

Perhaps they met in the loo at the F&M Awards when there was a sudden
1716706845505.png
storm.

• Haha
Reactions: 38
Picture the scene.

There's a banquet in Buckingham Palace.

Many important dignitaries.

HRH King Charles: "Has anyone seen Princess guest?"

Flunkey: "She said she was going to the kitchens to supervise the preparations for the banquet."

HRH King Charles: "Holy Christ! Call out the guard! Tell them to use their bayonets if necessary but she must be stopped!"
Servant, 'quick someone as attempted the life of the entire royal family, quick close down the palace.'

Other servant, no my dear fellow, it was just the princess 'spank me harder soup' we will prepare vast quantities of dioralyte and immodium.

Servant, 'jolly good'

• Haha
Reactions: 31
Vlad and Temu want to help guest get poor Cooper to the vet.

View attachment 2957386
---

It grates my potatoes when I see cost-of-living advice like: it's cheaper to buy products in bulk, look for discounted food, eat less meat. Most people on a budget know these things already.

The kind of advice that *really* grates my potatoes is: go to the farmer's market, buy fresh whenever you can. Aimed at people whose only nearby food retailer might be Tesco Express or something similar, and who would have to take several buses to get anywhere near a farmer's market.
So true. It’s all so patronising and always people of Jack’s ilk who have either never been on a budget or were briefly skint during student days.

I also hate the batch cook and freeze. Like I don’t care about the electricity cost of running a chest freezer, it’s whatever but have these people ever been in a Northern terrace or most housing association properties up here? There’s no space for a bloody chest freezer, the kitchens are almost universally not big enough to swing a cat in. I know batch cooking and freezing is good but where am I gonna fit a chest freezer or second freezer Jack??

Reactions: 53
So true. It’s all so patronising and always people of Jack’s ilk who have either never been on a budget or were briefly skint during student days.

I also hate the batch cook and freeze. Like I don’t care about the electricity cost of running a chest freezer, it’s whatever but have these people ever been in a Northern terrace or most housing association properties up here? There’s no space for a bloody chest freezer, the kitchens are almost universally not big enough to swing a cat in. I know batch cooking and freezing is good but where am I gonna fit a chest freezer or second freezer Jack??
Let alone a third like she has... 🙄

• Angry
Reactions: 33

Could you put it alongside the Smeg? 🤔

• Haha
Reactions: 39

My falling apart fridge freezer is in the living room. That's how small my kitchen is. The broken washing machine doesn't go under the sink space either because the kitchen hasn't been updated since the house was converted in the 1970s 🫠

But of course, let's go buy a chest freezer 🤬

• Heart
Reactions: 40
My falling apart fridge freezer is in the living room. That's how small my kitchen is. The broken washing machine doesn't go under the sink space either because the kitchen hasn't been updated since the house was converted in the 1970s 🫠

I dunno.... have you considered arranging your chest freezers into a block in the bedroom and putting a mattress on top? #SmallSpaceHacks

• Haha
Reactions: 43

I’ve also had my fridge in the dining room/living room (because the real living room has to be a bedroom) and a tumble dryer in my bedroom before. Things she wouldn’t possibly understand

• Heart
I dunno.... have you considered arranging your chest freezers into a block in the bedroom and putting a mattress on top? #SmallSpaceHacks
Sorry, are chest freezers being given away? Because I'd definitely redo the bedroom if they're also going to pay for the electricity needed to power it. Or am I meant to rob people to get them? 😢

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Sorry, are chest freezers being given away? Because I'd definitely redo the bedroom if they're also going to pay for the electricity needed to power it. Or am I meant to rob people to get them? 😢
Are you at all familiar with Patreon?

• Haha
Reactions: 47
Perhaps Depher can help?

Just be aware that you'll need to be #suffering from a #terrible affliction, preferably cancer, and be willing to be photographed in front of that mouldy damp patch on your wall and have your image re-used for multiple online fundraising begs over several years into the future.

• Angry
  • Sad
Are you at all familiar with Patreon?
Is that the tequila? 😉
---
Perhaps Depher can help?

Just be aware that you'll need to be #suffering from a #terrible affliction, preferably cancer, and be willing to be photographed in front of that mouldy damp patch on your wall and have your image re-used for multiple online fundraising begs over several years into the future.
My mum's had it, if it helps? I'm registered as her carer too but we don't live together.

(Mum's in remission and hopefully that's it)

• Heart
Reactions: 32
It grates my potatoes when I see cost-of-living advice like: it's cheaper to buy products in bulk, look for discounted food, eat less meat. Most people on a budget know these things already.

The kind of advice that *really* grates my potatoes is: go to the farmer's market, buy fresh whenever you can. Aimed at people whose only nearby food retailer might be Tesco Express or something similar, and who would have to take several buses to get anywhere near a farmer's market.
Tips like that are (I think I learned this from an earlier thread!) not really aimed at those who've always been poor because as you say these are fairly obvious money-savers most people learned growing up or worked out ages ago, they're aimed at people who are a bit better off and who pre-CoL problems didn't have to budget with things like food. This is why the lists of tips also tend to assume that travelling from one supermarket to another (or to a farmer's market) to save 20p on teabags is a trivially easy task - you'll go there in your car and leave the bags in the boot of course!

I keep forgetting that Grifty Kitchen was really Thifty Kitchen, but that's a good thing because I find the real title quite anger-inducing in this current mess, especially as something (supposedly) being handed out at foodbanks. It's incredibly patronising and there isn't really a level of "thrift" that's going to help someone genuinely poor get out of poverty. Added to that the untested terrible recipes that she's been getting away with for a decade and it's clear this is a book aimed the Povvos but really aimed at people who will leaf through it in a bookshop and think "I'm so glad someone is doing all this good for the poor!"

Reactions: 38
I’ve also had my fridge in the dining room/living room (because the real living room has to be a bedroom) and a tumble dryer in my bedroom before. Things she wouldn’t possibly understand
It’s not just here with the batch cook and freeze either which is infinitely more frustrating. She’s just a twit and I could roll my eyes at her, but it’s so widespread.

Tips like that are (I think I learned this from an earlier thread!) not really aimed at those who've always been poor because as you say these are fairly obvious money-savers most people learned growing up or worked out ages ago, they're aimed at people who are a bit better off and who pre-CoL problems didn't have to budget with things like food. This is why the lists of tips also tend to assume that travelling from one supermarket to another (or to a farmer's market) to save 20p on teabags is a trivially easy task - you'll go there in your car and leave the bags in the boot of course!

I keep forgetting that Grifty Kitchen was really Thifty Kitchen, but that's a good thing because I find the real title quite anger-inducing in this current mess, especially as something (supposedly) being handed out at foodbanks. It's incredibly patronising and there isn't really a level of "thrift" that's going to help someone genuinely poor get out of poverty. Added to that the untested terrible recipes that she's been getting away with for a decade and it's clear this is a book aimed the Povvos but really aimed at people who will leaf through it in a bookshop and think "I'm so glad someone is doing all this good for the poor!"
This is exactly it. Her and most of the ones like her are aimed at the people who will want to flick through and be like “Oh look someone’s helping the poor, good for them, educating the povvos that you can scrimp on pasta in order to buy a better cheese because they don’t have common sense like we do.”

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 36
Could you put it alongside the Smeg? 🤔
Or in one of the outhouses, maybe?

I jest. I too live in a northern Victorian terrace. Our kitchen feels crowded with two of us in it. They weren’t built for leisurely conversations with friends whilst rustling up a little plate of something, were they?

Reactions: 34
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.