Jack Monroe #575 The only poverty she's interested in alleviating is her own

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A better approach would be to show how to use a few quality ingredients and make value of them or pick out things to scrimp on and things that it's worth spending a bit more on.
And not all rice is interchangeable
I think most people already know the latter to be honest. Poverty for most people is and always has been balancing scrimping on one thing with spending more on something else be it branded beans, ketchup or better welfare meat/eggs so it’s instinctive.

I think there’s something to be said for offering a cheaper alternative when it doesn’t affect the recipe that much especially if it’s something non-obvious but only if it’s tried and tested and sensible.

IDK though it just often seems to come across as super patronising to me when chefs are like “you can buy basic value pasta but it’s worth spending more on a decent cheese” or “this is quality mince, look you can make more than one meal with it and it will carry cheaper tinned tomatoes!” and the ever present “you can put your potato in the microwave for 5 mins and that’s cheaper than the oven for 90 mins”…. no tit Sherlock we’re poor, we’re not thick. I knew that stuff when I was 11, I don’t need some chef coming along acting like it’s a revelation or presenting a shite imitation of his lasagna “for the poors” and expecting headpats. Jack’s the most egregious example but she’s far from alone with it.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 52
I mean who of the great and good of London doesn't have one? 👑👑👑
I'm just a pleb from t' North - what do I know of fancy patrician Lunnon ways?

<bobs curtsey>

<fastens shawl tighter against the bitter late May wintry gales>

<tucks whippet under arm>

<scuttles home to back-to-back, clogs sparking on t'cobbles, followed by a flock of racing pigeons>

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 49
I mean who of the great and good of London doesn't have one? 👑👑👑
I live in one of the more stabby areas of London and it's never occurred to me to get a stab vest because I'm not the demographic that's a target. The fact that she thinks she needs a stab vest for bleeping Glastonbury will never not be funny to me.

• Haha
Reactions: 52

<bobs curtsey>

<scuttles home to back-to-back, clogs sparking on t'cobbles, followed by a flock of racing pigeons>
Time for another hard shift in t’gravy mines. (Also northern so allowed to make this joke 😂)

• Haha
Reactions: 28
I live in one of the more stabby areas of London and it's never occurred to me to get a stab vest because I'm not the demographic that's a target. The fact that she thinks she needs a stab vest for bleeping Glastonbury will never not be funny to me.
Hello fellow ghetto dweller 😜

Stabbed by a stoned Corbynista. Can you imagine? Mortified at the very notion of it 🤦🏼‍♀️

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 33
She's such a bleep she probably needs a stab vest to get through Christmas dinner unscathed.

• Haha
Reactions: 48
I think most people already know the latter to be honest. Poverty for most people is and always has been balancing scrimping on one thing with spending more on something else be it branded beans, ketchup or better welfare meat/eggs so it’s instinctive.

I think there’s something to be said for offering a cheaper alternative when it doesn’t affect the recipe that much especially if it’s something non-obvious but only if it’s tried and tested and sensible.

IDK though it just often seems to come across as super patronising to me when chefs are like “you can buy basic value pasta but it’s worth spending more on a decent cheese” or “this is quality mince, look you can make more than one meal with it and it will carry cheaper tinned tomatoes!” and the ever present “you can put your potato in the microwave for 5 mins and that’s cheaper than the oven for 90 mins”…. no tit Sherlock we’re poor, we’re not thick. I knew that stuff when I was 11, I don’t need some chef coming along acting like it’s a revelation or presenting a shite imitation of his lasagna “for the poors” and expecting headpats. Jack’s the most egregious example but she’s far from alone with it.
It's tricky, though, because there's always always going to be someone who doesn't know it already, and would benefit from hearing about it.

It's a bit like Delia teaching people to boil an egg, or maybe even sex education stuff at school - being taught the basics is inevitably going to seem a bit patronising for most of us... but for those who are hearing it for the first time, it's really, really important.

And that's the problem with Jack: she's taking on a great responsibility, and making such a crappy job of it. Her whole shtick is "you can eat fancy food even if you're poor!", but it's not actually necessary to sieve Paxo into three different components in order to eat well!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 64
It's tricky, though, because there's always always going to be someone who doesn't know it already, and would benefit from hearing about it.

It's a bit like Delia teaching people to boil an egg, or maybe even sex education stuff at school - being taught the basics is inevitably going to seem a bit patronising for most of us... but for those who are hearing it for the first time, it's really, really important.

And that's the problem with Jack: she's taking on a great responsibility, and making such a crappy job of it. Her whole shtick is "you can eat fancy food even if you're poor!", but it's not actually necessary to sieve Paxo into three different components in order to eat well!
Exactly this. I’m just getting involved with people who have no idea because they’ve never been taught - and stuff they can access is flaky and riddled with people like guest. So important they get good info.

• Heart
Reactions: 40

I feel like everyone can benefit from the basics though and thus there are plenty of resources out there covering them. Delia didn’t aim her egg boiling advice at a specific demographic so the patronising effect wasn’t there, it was just a “here is what I think is the best way” and sex education is similarly universal.

The patronising only comes in when it’s the “of course you don’t know this, you’re poor!” effect. 99.9% of people don’t need be told cooking a jacket potato for 5 mins is cheaper than cooking it for 90 because it’s painfully obvious, what they need is to know it’s an alternative way that works.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
Vlad and Temu want to help guest get poor Cooper to the vet.

1716675729200.png

---
I feel like everyone can benefit from the basics though and thus there are plenty of resources out there covering them. Delia didn’t aim her egg boiling advice at a specific demographic so the patronising effect wasn’t there, it was just a “here is what I think is the best way” and sex education is similarly universal.

The patronising only comes in when it’s the “of course you don’t know this, you’re poor!” effect. 99.9% of people don’t need be told cooking a jacket potato for 5 mins is cheaper than cooking it for 90 because it’s painfully obvious, what they need is to know it’s an alternative way that works.
It grates my potatoes when I see cost-of-living advice like: it's cheaper to buy products in bulk, look for discounted food, eat less meat. Most people on a budget know these things already.

The kind of advice that *really* grates my potatoes is: go to the farmer's market, buy fresh whenever you can. Aimed at people whose only nearby food retailer might be Tesco Express or something similar, and who would have to take several buses to get anywhere near a farmer's market.

Last edited:
Reactions: 36
A better approach would be to show how to use a few quality ingredients and make value of them or pick out things to scrimp on and things that it's worth spending a bit more on.
And not all rice is interchangeable
H-excuse YOU! Jack said it’s exactly the same rice in a different packet!

Tom PB has done well since that massive tabloid exposé of his love of ❄
---
There was that 72 year old guy who wore one that time tho.

• Haha
Reactions: 27
Hello fellow ghetto dweller 😜

Stabbed by a stoned Corbynista. Can you imagine? Mortified at the very notion of it 🤦🏼‍♀️
I grew up in & spent much of my adult life in a stabby area of SE London. I've witnessed a stabbing on a night bus. And I have a really annoying face. It still would never have occured to me that I could ever need a stab vest

Now I live in the Town of Celery so I'm in more danger of tripping over a Lady Di souvenir tartan bagpipe than anything else

• Haha
Reactions: 53

<bobs curtsey>

Did you touch Yr forelock?

• Haha
Reactions: 17
I’m SO glad that guest has shut the hell up and buggered off again 👍

(hope I haven’t just manifested her by saying that now)

• Haha
Reactions: 27
There's some interesting body language on display from Tom Parker-Bowles, isn't there? That death grip on the wine glass...
Isn't that just how poshos hold their wine?

Where did she meet Tom Parker-Bowles? I bet he didn't talk to her again after that event.
---
Now I live in the Town of Celery so I'm in more danger of tripping over a Lady Di souvenir tartan bagpipe than anything else
It's been years since I was in Celery. Nice to know absolutely nothing has changed on the tartan bagpipe front. 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 24
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.