Jack Monroe #524 Not the only or most important voice and presence in this critical area of our life

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Wow this is soooooo true, we were also library kids and it was a legit afternoon out! I'm sure that's why I'm rarely without at least two books on the go now. But don't forget dearheart, Jack doesn't actually READ her books. She organises them by colour in snowdriven bursts of activity, shows the spines when she needs to bolster her mArXiSt credentials, and occasionally misrepresents southern baptist cookbooks for tomes of culinary delights from small countries in the Caucasus.
Library sprog here too. Lifelong love of books cos of it. If/when she does re-appear, we absolutely know she will include appropriate this e.g. For Greenbelt or Celery Town.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
I’ll never get over when her then-OH’s father got out the vacuum cleaner in the bungamansion. I would have cringed myself inside out in mortification and shame if anyone visiting my house felt they needed to clean.
From one single tweet we got both "my most recent FIL" and "crack on, pal". Great days haha.

Screenshot_20230705-112956_Twitter.jpg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 68
WAIT!?! SHE WAS SELLING THAT DRESS?

I'd always assumed it was something she'd made for herself on a lark like the tincancandles.

(As I've said before, I'm all for people making the shittiest crafts as that is how one learns and improves (I create some monstrosities) but to sell it????)
I mean, I'm pretty sure it never actually sold. In fact, I'd put money on her never even finishing it.

"Crafty" Jack is one of my (many, many) aneurisms. And totally shows her up for the arrogant egotist that she is. I've been sewing for over 30 years, and have produced a few really well-made pieces in that time. I would love to do it for a living, but I'm fully aware that I'm not consistently good enough, because it's a hobby that I fit around work and family, and it takes a huge amount of time and commitment to become proficient in creative/practical crafts. She's always been convinced that she can just turn her hand to anything, and automatically be the best ever at it. And I do think that's a result of her very middle class upbringing.

• Heart
Reactions: 54
She was already a little pisspot on her blog way before the Guardian. Let’s not forget “the satirical comic twist that she writes with”
View attachment 2286255
She was constantly bickering in the comments too. Her readers ALL KEPT MISSING THE POINT SHE WAS MAKING IN THE ARTICLE!!!
You’re missing the point! View attachment 2286265View attachment 2286268And YOU and YOU are missing the point! View attachment 2286276View attachment 2286277View attachment 2286279YOU ARE AAAAAAALLLLLLL MISSING THE POINT!!!
View attachment 2286281
ETA For those of you who have never seen this, this is the BEST EVER (by miles!) Jack response to a reader letter that is a tad dickish, published in the local Southend paper YEARS after she’s become famous, after two books, Leggy, and just after she got the honorary doctorate. It’s so over the top it’s bleeping hilarious (AND it has photographic evidence of the arguments she’s making!). She even WARNS the Editor and the paper.
View attachment 2286286
Anybody know what large and complex event(s) she catered for?!

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Jay Rayner could be a bit of a fanny BTL. Which I may or may not have been subjected to 🍉
Babe, same! I posted something critical (but in a friendly tone) about him always bashing vegans. He came for me BTL and the CiF club lapped it up. I've been extremely cautious about posting anywhere but here since.
Many years later Jay wrote in his column that he has changed his stance etc. I read it as a personal apology to me, but rejected it, because I hold a grudge.

[Insert gif: Ariana "I reject that"]

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 53
I mean, I'm pretty sure it never actually sold. In fact, I'd put money on her never even finishing it.

"Crafty" Jack is one of my (many, many) aneurisms. And totally shows her up for the arrogant egotist that she is. I've been sewing for over 30 years, and have produced a few really well-made pieces in that time. I would love to do it for a living, but I'm fully aware that I'm not consistently good enough, because it's a hobby that I fit around work and family, and it takes a huge amount of time and commitment to become proficient in creative/practical crafts. She's always been convinced that she can just turn her hand to anything, and automatically be the best ever at it. And I do think that's a result of her very middle class upbringing.
BIB this, but also the fact we have my-thered long and hard about how she is missing so many facets of normal adult human bean-ness (not rinsed) and the whys eg personality disorders etc. These have all been covered at length previously, but I am going to mention again that she clearly has something wrong with her eyes if she thinks that dress (and her food and her filtering efforts) look good.

• Haha
Reactions: 23
She was already a little pisspot on her blog way before the Guardian. Let’s not forget “the satirical comic twist that she writes with”
View attachment 2286255
She was constantly bickering in the comments too. Her readers ALL KEPT MISSING THE POINT SHE WAS MAKING IN THE ARTICLE!!!
You’re missing the point! View attachment 2286265View attachment 2286268And YOU and YOU are missing the point! View attachment 2286276View attachment 2286277View attachment 2286279YOU ARE AAAAAAALLLLLLL MISSING THE POINT!!!
View attachment 2286281
ETA For those of you who have never seen this, this is the BEST EVER (by miles!) Jack response to a reader letter that is a tad dickish, published in the local Southend paper YEARS after she’s become famous, after two books, Leggy, and just after she got the honorary doctorate. It’s so over the top it’s bleeping hilarious (AND it has photographic evidence of the arguments she’s making!). She even WARNS the Editor and the paper.
View attachment 2286286
The thumbs akimbo picture is back, hoorah!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 13

So much to unpick here, but mainly the answer to the question, “How can blogger call herself Dr?” She lists all of her many, ahem, accomplishments which she thinks justifies her use of the title, none of which is actually “I pursued and passed a course of doctoral study at a higher education institution”.

Picking up on the letter writer’s typo, from a person with the most rudimentary grasp of correct spelling, punctuation and grammar.

And finally, the much-used lefty trope of The Daily Fail’s association with fascism from 90 years ago. Note that she is happy to appear in the Express (1933, "Judea declares war on Germany: Jews of all the world unite in action") and The Mirror (1934, "Give the Blackshirts a helping hand”) with no such concerns.

What a wingnut.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 38
View attachment 2286255
View attachment 2286281
View attachment 2286286
Just cringed myself inside out.

Oh and Schrodinger’s Single Mum:

3E5E7017-5828-44FA-9683-2A69491B6E2E.jpeg

0539C625-1038-43A9-9CF8-D136AD572F5B.jpeg

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 32
Just catching my breath after thread #31 OH MY GOD.

I really wasn’t expecting a double Shan’ting.

Thread title #32 has killed me dead, I was expecting “no idea, sorry”

And my favourite favourite post is this prophetic one from @heretoreaditall2019

As you were, go well. I’m having another gin after that.
I personally think Jay Rayner has a bit of Jackness around the edges. Seems quite thin skinned and up himself. I once happened to be standing behind him whilst he was having a fag break at an event I was working at and he was a guest. He was chatting with a friend. My twit radar began clanging.
I'm happy for Rayner to be a mini or uber twit but please nobody tell me Grace Dent is!

I sometimes think Jack wanted to be Grace more than any others - makeup and 'fashion' etc

• Heart
Reactions: 28
OMG I missed that, the arrogant cow. 😡

I love Adam Frost with a love that is pure - I will defend him to the death and am henceforth Frosty Defender.
Only thing I've got against him is that he's been fox hunting 😞

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 22
Oh dear lord, that's a collection of embarrassment. It's obvious she didn't make those cufflinks, they came from a craft supply retailer. I just can't be arsed to google them...
As someone who ran an online beads and findings shop at that time 🍉 I would say almost certainly PJ Beads. Just went to try and find them in their catalogue and they retired and closed down last year, but I can still get onto the wholesale site. I think these are the cufflink blanks:
http://www.beads.co.uk/wholesale_store/silver-plated-cufflinks-6929.html and while they're not on the site any more, I'm pretty certain they had a square red millefiore cabochon at some point, which is in the picture.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
Has anyone ever mentally totted up how many times she says "I" in a single blog? I thought she was a campaigner but the only thing she's ever raised awareness of is her own skanky self.

She really tells on herself in that "Why I Don't Drive" fairytale where she basically says "why do I need to drive when I get everywhere on cadged lifts?" And that's jack all over. I don't need to do this piece of basic adulting because I can cajole someone else into doing it for me. She thinks she's Snow White with all of the woodland creatures so enchanted by her beauty and kindness that they've developed opposable thumbs up help her fold washing etc, rather than the tiresome, freeloading burden that she is.
When she used to have a word cloud on her blog, her name featured more than anything else 🤣🤣🤣🤣

2AC5F92D-9829-4A11-BE7B-A20269B015B1.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 40
Hello kindly Frauen & Herren

Long time grunker, first time poster, please be gentle with me. I solemnly swear that I am not Jack, from my understanding or recollection, as I've never in my life happened upon luxury goods in various puddles.

I was reading through this latest thread and had my aneurysm, as the locals say, when someone mentioned Guest's "craft" "business". I said to myself, I said, "if she's on about that time she spent hours arsing about with that bleeping tin, a hammer and nails go make a bleeping tea light holder when she coild have been using that time to, oh, I dunno send out a few bleeping postcards..".

I was relieved go hear it's thought she was actually talking about that "dress" she "made". Until I saw it. FFS, Guest.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 60
View attachment 2286255
View attachment 2286281
View attachment 2286286
Points 1 and 6 in that article make up a list of all those who should hang their heads in shame for enabling/encouraging an enormous, and likely criminal, fraud to be perpetuated for a decade.

Reactions: 22
WAIT!?! SHE WAS SELLING THAT DRESS?

I'd always assumed it was something she'd made for herself on a lark like the tincancandles.

(As I've said before, I'm all for people making the shittiest crafts as that is how one learns and improves (I create some monstrosities) but to sell it????)
Aww, do you think? I was just mulling over whether the pasta jewellery I make with my Grandkids would sell 😭

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 29
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.