Jack Monroe #52 Am I awful and nobody has ever told me?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This has blown my mind the most. I’ve followed her for about 8 years now on various forms of SM over the years and never ever once in my memory has she mentioned A single one of those 3 (3?!) siblings.

Ok if there was 1 or 2 it might make sense maybe that they just weren’t that close, but 3 and she doesn’t spend time with a single one of them enough to mention?
Oh she mentioned her mixed race brother once around the time that she was being criticised for her white saviourism regarding BLM.

Reactions: 16
Spotted a random kettlebell by the chair

Just why?!

With this and the chaotic mess of folders and cheap plastic in her 'Studio' - is anyone else getting serious 'Britain's Biggest Hoarders' vibes by 2025?

I'm reluctant to go down a Patreon rabbit hole as I was aiming for a relaxing day 😆
However, a quick look tells me that most people are at least putting regular content on there, so it's something I suppose. Yet on a bootstrap hasn't posted anything on there since April 2018?? So does that mean all of her patreons have literally received Jack tit for paying into the pot?

So she sent a 'hilarious' April Fool basically mocking her supporter's generosity with the expectation of a free book that was never going to happen.😠

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 25
So what's the consensus on the grand flounce from twatter?

And how long will it last? I give it until sunday.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Will be interesting to see next years assets on companies house after DKL and Hellmans....given the last submission I would say she is definitely paying herself a comfortable living wage so the begging bowls do seem in rather poor taste given her followers are those generally on a very tight budget. That is really quite shocking.

Reactions: 27
Here it is, her justification for Patreon straight from Jackie’s mouth on her infamous appearance on thread #31 She admits she’s not poor anymore, no tit Sherlock, but states as she’s not ‘financially secure‘ erm most fecking people aren’t FFS😡 and we ALL know there’s no magic pot as we all go out and earn a living, knowing that we’ll never be financially secure, because unless you win the bloody lottery (or I suppose have a Patreon account😉) people don’t ever really feel financially secure. Her middle class values shining out here!
58531CA0-9830-45A3-8523-24970CFF708B.jpeg

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 43
So I just clicked on the Patreon link that she listed on her ‘off Twitter but you can still contact me’ Post.
I can’t believe what I’ve just read!
View attachment 191833View attachment 191834Erm how many postcards would one person need!? What are they doing with them all?? $14 (£11!)dollars a monthView attachment 191835 A pack of 6 postcards EVERY month for £18.76, mother of God, you’d be drowning in them if you’d joined a few years ago, although that general feeling of wellbeing would be such a boost for a person 🤔
View attachment 191836Then for £34.40 a month signed framed photo only one and then all the previous rewards erm a stack of postcards!? Recipes (aren’t those given away fro free? And the sense of well-being, phew at least they have that warm glow every month 😦View attachment 191840
For £65.67 a month you can be a whispering sous chef! A personal thanks if your idea is used erm what about actual recognition 😡!!!
I can’t quite believe the gall!!
And this is why we’re all here! Jack has many faults and done a lot of stupid things during lockdown but the way she pretends to be poor to manipulate people into giving her money is by far the worst!

I’m not against Patron. An artist friend of mine has one but she gives a lot of education content in return such as draw along sessions, talking about materials and her process. If I was an arty type I think this would be a worthwhile investment.
Jack could do so much with hers, exclusive cooking sessions for example. But the thing is she’s work shy, she doesn’t put time and effort into getting better and creating decent content. She could have really elevated her twitter lockdown larder and perhaps taken it to YouTube or Instagram. She managed to secure Hellmanns and I’m sure a supermarket or magazine would have picked it up too if she had stuck with it. But patron keeps her “ticking over” so she doesn’t have to really try.

I can’t understand how her followers don’t think “hang on, Vivian westward dress, The cotswold catalogue, Philips lumi, Dyson fan...”
She’s doing alright!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 59
Nadia is on Saturday Kitchen!

*Edited to add, Matt still hasn’t invited his cheeky co host back, I wonder if he emailed her an invite and it got caught up in the thousands that hadn’t been read!

Also false alarm about Nadia, it’s a best of. So she will be in it a little bit!

• Haha
Reactions: 35
Here it is, her justification for Patreon straight from Jackie’s mouth on her infamous appearance on thread #31 She admits she’s not poor anymore, no tit Sherlock, but states as she’s not ‘financially secure‘ erm most fecking people aren’t FFS😡 and we ALL know there’s no magic pot as we all go out and earn a living, knowing that we’ll never be financially secure, because unless you win the bloody lottery (or I suppose have a Patreon account😉) people don’t ever really feel financially secure. Her middle class values shining out here!View attachment 191878
Sorry to post again so close to my previous post BUT hasn’t she said she pays herself a living wage and puts the rest into savings?!
How else do you explain £700 for the vet then close to £1k on a trip to Edinburgh within days? What living wage is she on?

• Wow
Reactions: 48
JM acting as if she's such a massive fan of Taylor Swift - seems odd she's only just recently started following her, on both Twitter and Instagram. You can tell as TS is almost at the very top of her 'following' list.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 42
That moussaka looks so revolting.

I do kind of like the reading nook - total jealousy on part, as my poor books are still in their shipping boxes (various non dramatic, but annoying reasons why) However, why the flip does she have a bajillion old CD racks lying around to use as shelving?
Weren’t they all in the shed when she did it up? I notice some of the shelves have been painted blue and yellow. I think she had them in the shed ready for the Hellman’s show. At some point they decided to film inside rather than the shed and that’s why she had to then do the dining room up.

• Wow
Reactions: 16
She isn't in the public eye so much, nor pleading perpetual poverty, so as kind-hearted humans we're inclined to feel sympathy. However, I'm of the opinion that Jack has seen that her mum got extra attention from her dad when ill, and saw this as an effective tactic in her public life.

I'm sure both of them have life-affecting conditions, but I know plenty of people who do and they don't bleat on about it constantly. Two peas in a pod, as far as I'm concerned.
I’m from NI and my mum was the queen of using her health for attention or ‘weapon’ as my poor dad used to call it. Learned behaviour is very difficult to de-install. It was always used as an excuse for bad behaviour and attention seeking in my house. I have even heard some of her phrases coming out of my mouth! 🙀

• Heart
Here it is, her justification for Patreon straight from Jackie’s mouth on her infamous appearance on thread #31 She admits she’s not poor anymore, no tit Sherlock, but states as she’s not ‘financially secure‘ erm most fecking people aren’t FFS😡 and we ALL know there’s no magic pot as we all go out and earn a living, knowing that we’ll never be financially secure, because unless you win the bloody lottery (or I suppose have a Patreon account😉) people don’t ever really feel financially secure. Her middle class values shining out here!View attachment 191878
The last couple of sentences are just complete *eyeroll* for me. "My experiences of poverty" - well, Jack, some people were actually brought up in poverty, ya know, years and years of it from which they will never escape, it's not really comparable to your wee stint on the phone to housing benefits which lasted maybe 18 months and which you'll use as an excuse for the rest of your life as to why you think it's fair to hoard your own money (much of which you get on the back of those very people) in case of a rainy day.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 49
The thing is, Jackie would likely snap at us for questioning her possessions with her tried and tested 'poor people are allowed to have nice things' retort. This is completely true! But, like with everything to do with Jack, she appropriates it until it's meaningless. Poor people get their 'massive bleeping TVs' (yes, this was really crappy of JO) after saving for ages, second hand, on credit, on those terrible pay monthly 'deals', or they know someone who can get it off the back of a lorry. They don't waltz into John Lewis and buy one outright. They also don't have everything in their crappy bungalows come from Made dot com. If this is indeed all her furniture then she has splashed some serious cash. This stuff would not be affordable if she actually used her 'living wage' salary for everything she purchases. I'm betting she has a very loose definition of what constitutes a business expense. Smeg fridge and Rangemaster cooker? Need it for work. Twelve seater solid oak dining table? Need it for work. Fancy 93kg sideboard to pose half naked on? Need it for work. Leather chesterfield armchair from which to furiously scroll Tattle? Need it for work.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 47
In my opinion, Jack feels entitled to this money from tip jar and patreon. She says she’s had to review it, has she?

She’s creating a service! She deserves the money! She’s saving lives! I don’t think her fans realise she’s monetising everything. She doesn’t do this for free, everything is (loads of) peppered with advertising, monetised or guilt trips to tip.

Even though a lot of her recipes are basically other recipes that have been adapted to tins or mavericke d ‘better’ yet she’s never seen slimming world recipes. Okay dokey...

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 40
I'm reluctant to go down a Patreon rabbit hole as I was aiming for a relaxing day 😆
However, a quick look tells me that most people are at least putting regular content on there, so it's something I suppose. Yet on a bootstrap hasn't posted anything on there since April 2018?? So does that mean all of her patreons have literally received Jack tit for paying into the pot?
I think you can’t always see the posts, updates and comments on a Patreon page unless you’re a subscriber.

Reactions: 7
In my opinion, Jack feels entitled to this money from tip jar and patreon. She says she’s had to review it, has she?

She’s creating a service! She deserves the money! She’s saving lives! I don’t think her fans realise she’s monetising everything. She doesn’t do this for free, everything is (loads of) peppered with advertising, monetised or guilt trips to tip.

Even though a lot of her recipes are basically other recipes that have been adapted to tins or mavericke d ‘better’ yet she’s never seen slimming world recipes. Okay dokey...
Does she not understand that free content is a huge part of marketing?

Reactions: 21
To be fair any good accountant would encourage you to expense anything relevant to your business and ensure you pay minimum tax and make maximum profit...but begging (from those not at such an advantage) on the back of that when you are clearly in a position privileged enough to expense such things and live so comfortably now but still KNOWING what it's like for those still in poverty is really quite awful.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: 26
The thing with Patreon is that if your followers are the lowest tier, they'll probably forget with time and just pay the 4 dollars each month automatically (as I do with an author I keep forgetting to cancel my Patreon from 😆).

You'd cancel a higher tier more quickly (I.e when you don't receive promised physical good). But it all adds up (£7100 a year at least of automated income...).

• Wow
  • Angry
With this and the chaotic mess of folders and cheap plastic in her 'Studio' - is anyone else getting serious 'Britain's Biggest Hoarders' vibes by 2025?

So she sent a 'hilarious' April Fool basically mocking her supporter's generosity with the expectation of a free book that was never going to happen.😠
April fool or not, he obviously didn't receive it. I'd be gutted to be so consistently rubbish.

Reactions: 9
So I just clicked on the Patreon link that she listed on her ‘off Twitter but you can still contact me’ Post.
I can’t believe what I’ve just read!
View attachment 191833View attachment 191834Erm how many postcards would one person need!? What are they doing with them all?? $14 (£11!)dollars a monthView attachment 191835 A pack of 6 postcards EVERY month for £18.76, mother of God, you’d be drowning in them if you’d joined a few years ago, although that general feeling of wellbeing would be such a boost for a person 🤔
View attachment 191836Then for £34.40 a month signed framed photo only one and then all the previous rewards erm a stack of postcards!? Recipes (aren’t those given away fro free? And the sense of well-being, phew at least they have that warm glow every month 😦View attachment 191840
For £65.67 a month you can be a whispering sous chef! A personal thanks if your idea is used erm what about actual recognition 😡!!!
I can’t quite believe the gall!!
It's just a con. Plain and simple con artist. 'For all these pounds you can LITERALLY be invisible in my kitchen'
bleeping really? If i found out some vulnerable relative had signed up I'd call the police.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 38
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.