Jack Monroe #52 Am I awful and nobody has ever told me?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She's acting as though she spent an idyllic childhood in Cyprus before she was dramatically exiled to Southend. Double mention of lemons fresh from the tree too, interesting for someone so invested in not actually ever cooking with them.
oh get to duck. She just makes me cringe she’s such an idiot!

• Haha
Reactions: 27
Not denying the Greek origins of the name, but I've genuinely never met any Greek girls called Melissa. It's a name, very probably a lot of us will have Biblical names without religion (my own for example), Greek names, Latin names etc - it's just something our parents happened to like (or yourself, if you've done a Jack and changed it)

Maybe there is a cultural link to the name, but no one other than her chose to change it. Her grandfather as a new immigrant kept the surname, and it didn't appear to hurt him in the way Jack seems to make out having a 'foreign' name will.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 25
The Greek thing is ridiculous. My parents come from two different continents, and I was born and raised on a third. My dad was the son of immigrants himself, which throws another country into the mix.

I lived in a few places growing up, and now I am settled somewhere completely different. It means that my background is quite complex to explain (and actually extremely triangulatable, because I have a lot of rather strange countries in there!). I don't have much of a concept of "home"; anywhere I go, I'll be foreign - although I feel very welcome and happy where I live now.

Ultimately, though, I'm the product of my own experiences. My granddad left his home country to work on the railroad - I don't feel a rush of genetic nostalgia when I get on a train.

Jack has lived all her life in the same town, apart from when she was in London with Allegra. She speaks with an accent that is undeniably English. Even her wistful talk about her Greek name...Melissa is a lot less obvious than, say, Ianthe. Oh well. I suppose her Greek phase is less offensive than when she was torturing cats.
It's weird, isn't it? Even I, white-as-mayo (sigh) as I am, have roots from Ireland and Cornwall. But they are from my grandparents generation and I don't feel/think about them much at all. I'm fond of Cornwall, because it was the place of lots of lovely family holidays when I was young, but I don't get the feeling of home from it.

My spiritual (eyeroll) home if I have one, is where I grew up, the town that I can walk through and trace 30+ years of my life through landmarks and streets and knowing all the back ways to things. Where, despite its fairly large population I can't go there without seeing someone I recognise, because of all the years I spent moving through it. Hah, it's not a romantic place at all, no lemon trees and idyllic scenes, but I know it's part of me. But really, my home now isn't a place, it's the people I love and who love me.

• Heart
Reactions: 42
My take on mum's Facebook message is that she's calling Jack out for not having cooked that spread.

Not sure if message from her mum was before the "I'm so Greek, I miss lemon picking" nonsense (as bottled is just as fine), because I'm catching up.

Reactions: 17
@colouredlines have to wholeheartedly agree, Jack pretending to be into her Greek roots is wayyyy less offensive than what she did to that poor innocent kitten.

re the comments about her pass agg mum. Yeah, I can see that, despite saying that she was awful to her mum I can see that her mum's comment is a bit off. Perhaps both of them struggle to effectively communicate. My feeling is that her mum is at her wits end with her daughter, and is sick of her public selfishness. Obviously we don’t know what ‘very poorly’ means. If my adult daughter, that I’d done my absolute best for, was whinging day and night on Twitter while I was really very unwell - then I might get snippy, too!

Reactions: 34
Changed my profile picture, in 1981 was told I looked like Joanne Catherall (The Human League), my make up then was just as subtle, not triangulating as I no longer do!
I was told I looked like Susanne Sully. Want to form a band? 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
They both seem to like to announce how the are feeling publicly. My mum is a stubborn person and she would never admit in person or sm, if she was unwell. She wouldn't give anyone the satisfaction of coming in all sympathetic just because they had read it online. My mum is very much a if you want to know anything about me person then come and see me.

Reactions: 16
She's acting as though she spent an idyllic childhood in Cyprus before she was dramatically exiled to Southend. Double mention of lemons fresh from the tree too, interesting for someone so invested in not actually ever cooking with them.
“the goatherds”? Does she think she’s a character in captain corellis mandolin? Sweetie, Cyprus is a modern, bustling knowledge economy. They’re not all wearing traditional dress, roaming the mountains and playing the bouzouki.

On the breakup with Louisa. Does anyone think it’s coincidence that THAT MAN got his lockdown cooking programme, the one Jack woz robbed of, on C4, where Louisa is head commissioner? JO was unquestionably the right choice as he’s a national treasure and a reassuring presence in uncertain times. But maybe Jack blames L for not getting her the gig?

All airy fairy speculation m’lud. Jack obviously respects experience and highly values the principle of fair play.

• Haha
Reactions: 49
What’s she on about with the Greek thing. Eff off. She changed her bloody name because of it.
And her mum is quite poorly. Care about her you selfish mare.

Reactions: 24
It’s bleeping with my head that I gave that up = non white british identities are increasingly monetisable post BLM so let’s jump on that bandwagon and get some new work in lads!

How is she not mortified to post that Louisa left suddenly? That suggests she was too scared or traumatised to have a full on conversation about what was going on, which reflects really bleeping badly on Jack. Maybe keep that hush hush hun.

• Heart
Reactions: 51
Her 'motherland' comment made me chuckle. Shes from southend ffs. Im second gen Irish, my mum will always call ireland home. I lived in ireland for a while as a teen but was born and raised in london. I wouldnt call ireland the motherland ffs 😂

43 here 🤡
Babe Same.

Well similar, my granddad came to Salford looking for work. My mother has more of an affinity, but even she doesn't call it home. I have never even been to Ireland. To call it a Motherland is beyond laughable.

She is 1/4 Greek (unless her grandmother was Greek as well) by saying it is her Motherland, she is denying her other 3/4 heritage. Her Mother is Irish, so she is 50% Irish, therefore she is more Irish than Greek. Ergo her Motherland is Ireland.

• Haha
Reactions: 36
She's such a cringe, she really is.

Sorry if this has already been picked up on, I was skim reading much of last thread because I find her pretty boring these days. But I found it telling that in her Story of Woe she was grieving, not for the loss of her relationship particularly, but for the wedding she was planning. That spoke volumes to me about how her ex/their relationship was seen by her. Not sure if she meant to do this or not, yer 'onour.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
Although it isn’t exciting, there’s actually nothing wrong with being English/British. No need to try & impress people by pretending you’re Greek/Irish/Scottish. To your own self be true.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
OH FOR GOD SAKE!!!!!!

If your family have food and conviviality around a table in Cyprus then they can have it round a table in Southend!!!!! You can’t do anything about that now. Recreate it in your lovely crappy bungalow, get your friends round and get a food shop in make them some meze. Take charge.

@Flumps there’s something in the air today! She’s making me angry and I don’t normally feel like that about her. Once Mr Lenny comes back we’re going to take SB out somewhere. I shall not be wearing trainers but will (yes) absolutely be avoiding lakes.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 46
Oh god, she's becoming the Southend version of those Irish-Americans who come to the "old country" to search for their roots and wish you a happy St Patty's Day... 🤦🏼‍♀️

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 53
she’s really bleeping with the entire AA ethos here. The 12th step of recovery is all about helping other alcoholics. You do that by talking about the (many) benefits of recovery. Not about moaning about how horrible it is without the wider context of the benefits of recovery. Damaging stuff.
Tbh I don’t think she cares much for the traditions or the fellowship, she’s been paid (by the guardian) to publish some really outright detrimental stuff before.

If I went to 4/5 meetings in a week, I’d hear about getting your feelings back being a blessing & a curse at least 3/4 times, there’s a lot of slogans that get chucked around that she has suddenly discovered at 19 months (ignoring the 0.6% ABV beer and various relapses).

Sorry to be savage but honestly she is a ghoul. What she did with that poorly kitten was vile, how she wasn’t in a constant state of panic is beyond me and shows a real detachment from humanity. Continuing to use AA as branding 🙄🙄🙄

I hope “her sponsor” suggests amends for that ghastly guardian article, she didn’t seem to want to answer any of my questions on it when she came round here did she. Wonder why!

• Heart
Reactions: 53
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.