Jack Monroe #463 Is she on the game for Farrow & Ball?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
They see me plonkin
They hear me honkin
They see me plonkin
They hatin’
Sleb squad patrolling,
Trying to catch me lookin dirty

Apols to Chamillionaire, no royalties I’m afraid. You can have an old F&M basket and a holey sock for your rice.

• Haha
Reactions: 47
“I suspected I might not wake up again”

when? You suspected it *as* you knocked yourself unconscious? That’s a great memory for the split second you injured yourself while off your face…

• Haha
Reactions: 58
Naproxen inhibits your stomach’s ability to secrete its protective mucus layer (as do similar drugs) so it hugely increases risk of stomach ulcers and worse due to damage from your own stomach acid, which is very powerful. (Also has effects on small intestine epithelium turnover if I remember right? I might not be.) So drinking shitloads of whisky as claimed, which also increases risk of ulcers and other GI issues, would mean you’d probably get ulcers if you were taking naproxen and drinking. Could explain the predilection for bland slop maybe?!

Alcohol metabolism uses up a lot of the liver’s working capacity, for want of a better term, and many commonly-prescribed pharma drugs are at least partly metabolised by enzymes in the same group as some of the key booze-metabolising ones (cytochrome p450s), so alcohol has adverse interactions with huge numbers of prescription meds. Definitely contraindicated with ADHD meds of any stripe, as they’re mostly stimulants (certainly Jack’s are) and stimulants + booze = increased heart rate and blood pressure so can lead to stroke or heart attack quite easily. Especially if you’re taking either or both to misuse levels.

The best one in our story though is tramadol, which is an opioid and therefore gets you off your face in high doses, as famously alcohol also does (though through different/complementary pathways, so you really wouldn’t be cognitively functional if you were taking high doses of both together, never mind constantly online and stringing together shite flowery prose like our Jack. You’d be incoherent and dopey at best. Tramadol is also a central nervous system depressant and can easily cause respiratory depression even at much lower doses than Jack claims she was taking. As alcohol also can. And take together they are responsible for quite a few Someone as tiny as her really would be dead as a doornail if the claims she made in her Guardian interview were even slightly true. And I think that’s one of the things that’s screwed her the most (“40 tramadol and a bottle of whisky”) because it’s SO outlandish that a reader wouldn’t even need spidey senses to wonder if it was a load of bollocks.

As an autoimmune and connective tissue tissue veteran (and have stories of all the glorious side effects and injuries along the way), the worst drug of all was Tramadol. I took one due to a really nasty shoulder and collarbone dislocation. Just one. And I sat down.

I spent the next two days laying on the floor trying not to fall off. Still in pain, but my brain was sliding backward in my skull to go down my spinal column and pulling on my eyeballs every moment of the day, so that was far, far more painful than the state of my left side. I've never touched the things since.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 63
“I suspected I might not wake up again”

when? You suspected it *as* you knocked yourself unconscious? That’s a great memory for the split second you injured yourself while off your face…
Can’t remember buying the sideboards though, they just turned up and perfectly fit into every last corner of her “meagre” home 🤷‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 53
Knew the weeks after that interview would play out this way- steady swings between living my best life toot toot decorating plans an please don't cause a small fragile wilting one anymore pain. Phony cow.

An wtf was that thing of telling her followers to patrol her mentions and tweet the fake timeline of events at anyone with questions. Y'kno the 1 where she admitted drunken frivolity, such larks as spending other people's charity donations on herself. But only for 7 years! Calling people up to do Jack jury duty. Eat tit. Or 1 of your slops. Same thing.
BIB - that would be a great thread title 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Thank you 🙏🏼 most people are lovely of course. You just remember the horrid ones! I get it maybe once a month. I have cauda equina syndrome so I often can’t feel my legs. I was also badly affected by covid, blood clots in my lungs caused a strain on my heart. Aren’t I lucky 🤣 I still work full time and have two kids etc (who reap the benefits of queue jumping at theme parks. It’s not all bad 😄🤣) so I get annoyed with Jack using her ‘disability’ as a poor me excuse and attention thing. We’re disabled Jack we still have accountability, it’s not a carte Blanche to be a bad person! The world owes you no more than anyone else!

Anyway. Thank you once more - you are a total angel for helping others with the nightmare that is PIP application and doing far more good for those who need it than Jack has ever done.
You sound bloody brilliant and I’m glad you have a good sense of humour 😉 you need one to deal with ignorance and disablism, including the ignorance and disablism that seems to be built in to parts of the very public services that are supposed to support disabled people to live the best lives they can. Thank you for the compliment though I’m not an angel in the slightest, I’m just someone who (unlike our Jack) actually does get burning rage when I see stupid pointless injustice, and one thing I’m good at is filling out forms. So when the source of frequent and pretty major injustice is so, so often the damn form itself - okay, brilliant, here’s an injustice I can actually do something about! If one fewer person and their family has to wrestle with a deliberately obstructive system - often while trying to save their job, etc. too - because I know the secret code, brilliant.
If I didn’t have a full-time job I would volunteer at CAB to do the form-filling for more people - although ideally I’d be able to do it before they needed to approach a support agency. (Even better would be to sort out the DWP to just, you know, believe what doctors tell them about patients, but that’ll take a change of government and a few years IMO.)

also congratulations on being sorted enough to take the kids to theme parks - I’m dreading the day mine ask me, because I always hated them as a kid and I can’t imagine they’ve got any better since the 1990s.

• Heart
Reactions: 33
As an autoimmune and connective tissue tissue veteran (and have stories of all the glorious side effects and injuries along the way), the worst drug of all was Tramadol. I took one due to a really nasty shoulder and collarbone dislocation. Just one. And I sat down.

I spent the next two days laying on the floor trying not to fall off. Still in pain, but my brain was sliding towards in my skull and pulling on my eyeballs every moment of the day, so that was far, far more painful than the state of my left side. I've never touched the things since.
Not tramadol, but I once took a prescription drug which convinced me a perfectly ordinary table was going to fall through the solid floor below. So I spent a long time with my arms wrapped round it to save it. And keep it still. So still.

😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 85
Hooray - the Twatinum Jubilee!
I am starting to suspect you’re mainly here to get all the thread title nominations 😂 you’re very good though, please have yet another nom from me x
No swearsies though!
Could we paraphrase it to "Tatinum Jubilee"? In honour of all of the tat Jack has hoarded (and we'll all know the real meaning still 🤭) It's an excellent phrase and deserves to be preserved in a thread title.

• Haha
Reactions: 35
Thinking back to the Hattenstone interview - the problem with it was/is that there’s no follow up questioning, and it’s exactly that that allows bullshitters to flourish - they can deal with a raised eyebrow and a sceptical look; they can’t deal with a follow up question. Anyone can deflect with one answer. It’s *always* the follow up where you can expose lies. And that’s what he didn’t do. I was kind of pro the article at the time, but in hindsight, he didn’t get to the story

Reactions: 45

I spent the next two days laying on the floor trying not to fall off. Still in pain, but my brain was sliding towards in my skull and pulling on my eyeballs every moment of the day, so that was far, far more painful than the state of my left side. I've never touched the things since.
One of my cousins had a really rough time with tramadol - similar to what you describe - after a surgery to pin her shoulder and swore she’d never take it again (🍉). I hope you’ve got something that’s a better fit for you for pain relief. It’s got to piss you off seeing Jack Monroe (and her prettier twin Jameela) larping your reality 😕 it isn’t some fashionable quirk, it’s a lifelong condition you have to consider in everything xx

Edit to add, thank you again @TheDragonWithAFlagon for the single best description of being autistic I’ve ever seen; I saved it (with your username for crediting purposes) to show other people who I think should also read it. I’d love to read more of your writing on that topic if you ever want to write more on it. Even if not here.

It’s so fascinating how differently drugs can affect people, and yet we still haven’t got reliable ways of knowing in advance what will work for whom. @Deeznutslol is that something you cover in your studies? I’m guessing there’s got to be at least some genetic components to that sort of difference?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
I'm sorry about your daughter 😔 she sounds very brave. I wonder if any frays know, what effect does alcohol have on arthritis medication, Naproxen, ADHD meds etc. Not a good effect I suspect.
RA medication can impact the liver and kidney function, that's why regular blood tests are important to monitor not only ESR and CRP which are inflammatory markers but also to keep an eye on how well those organs are performing. Pretty much all of the RA meds you're advised not to drink alcohol and consultant advice in my experience has always been if you do to drink it sparingly as you don't want to cause further issues.

For non steroidal anti inflammatories such as Naproxen or Ibuprofen, alcohol can increase the risk of stomach issues as they can be notoriously difficult on the stomach.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Medically adjacent Frau here 👋 🍉

Just asked OH if he prescribes Tramadol: yes but not typically on a long-term basis. Would he take it? Yes but only e.g. post surgery. ‘Short bursts only’, apparently.

She’s Jimmy Nailing based on my poll of one doc.

• Haha
Reactions: 52
‘Emotional Support Sideboards’ 🤣🤣🤣
Thread title nom pls

Ninnies, I have just come back from a non-spenny lunch break, and am afraid I will not be able to go back to that particular establishment as I was audibly 🦉🍾 at all the hilarity in this thread DO YOU WANT ME TO STOP EATING

• Haha
Reactions: 56
Thinking back to the Hattenstone interview - the problem with it was/is that there’s no follow up questioning, and it’s exactly that that allows bullshitters to flourish - they can deal with a raised eyebrow and a sceptical look; they can’t deal with a follow up question. Anyone can deflect with one answer. It’s *always* the follow up where you can expose lies. And that’s what he didn’t do. I was kind of pro the article at the time, but in hindsight, he didn’t get to the story
He might well have asked. There would have been lots snipped from the original transcript, some of which was snipped by Hattenstone, other bits by a sub-editor. I'd be interested to know if any of them were incriminating or legally dodgy.

Reactions: 31
cw alcohol

we've run out of our usual tipples, left with only whisky and apple juice. i didn't think they'd go, i didn't think it was a thing

it's a thing. it's called an applejack. it's actually quite nice

is there no escape???

• Haha
Reactions: 52
Apologies if this has been posted already, but here is the link to the press release re the think tank report that Jack participated in. She is so "high-profile" that her name isn't included in the list of "leading decision makers and thought leaders" that were involved
🤭

(also includes a link to the full report)

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 32
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.