Jack Monroe #462 Tectonic plates make less fuss about moving

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Her recipes are aimed at people who can’t cook. Like me. I can’t look at at a list of ingredients and a method and see that it’s not going to work. If I then made the recipe I would think it tasted like shite because I can’t cook, not because the recipe is a load of cack, like my attempt at the peach and chickpea curry a few years ago. It wasn’t indelible, it was just bland as duck.
I am sure this is the reason she has had any success with her books.
Luckily my OH does the cooking and hardly ever sticks faithfully to a recipe because he knows what works.
So ,Jack Monroe then

• Haha
Reactions: 19
She suggests brushing it with oil and soy sauce for a glazed look, if you're not using egg or milk 😮
No need for the oil & soy sauce (which will remain fiercely independent of each other) - I already have a glazed look.

She really hasn't got a scooby. ☹

• Haha
Reactions: 35
The piano thing has made me chuckle, coming up with a plausible alibi that weaponises frugality in a gotcha moment against her trolls…

Forgetting entirely that most households don’t also just happen to have a piano laying around 🤦🏻‍♀️
I might have completely made this up but I think once upon a time, one of her bestest, best pals softly, gently and peripatically gifted her a baby grand piano for one of the previous RENTED hovels, during THE POVERTY.
Which, when you think about it makes far more sense than popping round with a bag of shopping and a tenner for the 'leccy meter.

• Haha
Reactions: 72
I might have completely made this up but I think once upon a time, one of her bestest, best pals softly, gently and peripatically gifted her a baby grand piano for one of the previous RENTED hovels, during THE POVERTY.
Which, when you think about it makes far more sense than popping round with a bag of shopping and a tenner for the 'leccy meter.
Confused as to why she would stand there boiling soap under the glow of a solar lamp, arthritis aching after a cold shower and the heating off - with a baby grand in the lounge and not once did she consider selling it.

Mind you it wasn’t until after HH2 she sold her diamonds. Multiple!

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 51
Thank[space]you, tenderheart. But oh, dear, they seem to have chosen the most dire and unappetizing photos, including that one of Jack's filthy thumb squishing the cookies. I can't imagine this is going to make readers rush to the shop to buy the complete book....
Are there any photos without filthy nails?🤔

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 18
Fraus, I once again come to you with concerns that I might in fact be Jack. My forever home (it’s a FLAT AKSHUALLY before any of you accuse me of buying a HOUSE), is decorated with farrow & ball - Rangwali in the bathroom not that anyone asked 🍉 - yesterday we ran out of jam, and then I realised my son was walking round in wellies that are too small for him (because I thought they were a bigger size than they are, not because I’m cosplaying poverty). Now how do I go about turning this trauma into a lucrative 10 year career?

• Haha
Reactions: 64
Thanks, Jenny. We'll have to stick with the Amazon chart, then.

Ten days after release:

View attachment 1883703
The sales figures for this terrible book are an absolute catastrophe.
It’s also hugely embarrassing, especially when you consider the pages of grandiose acknowledgments, as if she was receiving an Oscar or something, and all the A list name-dropping. (Gary Lineker FFS). Plus the comment about hoping the book would get her that “forever home”. And the high-profile endorsements from Nigella and Jay, who will now be forever associated with this sub-standard piece of crap.
I’d be astonished if any publisher ever takes a risk on her again.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 91
Nine replies to this, not one of them supportive of Jack.

View attachment 1884322

One quote tweet -

View attachment 1884328
Problem is, if someone libels you, and you choose not to sue, and that post has sufficient reach (particularly when you reply to it yourself and draw attention to it), when someone "relevant enough to sue" says the same words, the serious harm argument can't be easily borne out, as irrelevant squig can be argued to have caused the harm. As such, where's the loss? The Katie Hopkins case was one person saying something so bafflingly obviously wrong that it was easy at least to show that any harm from that statement was down to her rather than now with these 100s of other people, newspapers, anonymous squigs, etc.

If lots of people are calling you something you consider to be untrue, which one damaged your rep? Ditto now if anyone mentions an addiction she hasn't had, because she's admitted addiction, it's going to be harder to show a reputation experiencing serious harm from being accused of taking the wrong drug... Isn't it?

It's the same reason big brands sue small businesses using their trademarks etc.
They can't risk any brand erosion as if they do, when they sue someone big, they can come unstuck.

Makes you think.

• Heart
Reactions: 64
Fraus, I once again come to you with concerns that I might in fact be Jack. My forever home (it’s a FLAT AKSHUALLY before any of you accuse me of buying a HOUSE), is decorated with farrow & ball - Rangwali in the bathroom not that anyone asked 🍉 - yesterday we ran out of jam, and then I realised my son was walking round in wellies that are too small for him (because I thought they were a bigger size than they are, not because I’m cosplaying poverty). Now how do I go about turning this trauma into a lucrative 10 year career?
Put on your best sad face, and a grey pov jumper, then simply write a blog.

Job done. Completed it, mate. May your grift commence.

• Haha
Reactions: 48
When I worked in the home dept. of Laura Ashley the consensus amongst my more experienced colleagues was that F&B paint was crap - thin, poor coverage, etc...

Prepared to be corrected though as I've never used it myself - I come from a family where 20 litres of brilliant white emulsion was the norm!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
Do you have PayPal?

😂

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Jack’s rosemary roast potatoes contravene the Trade Descriptions Act.

• Haha
Reactions: 50
The sales figures for this terrible book are an absolute catastrophe.
It’s also hugely embarrassing, especially when you consider the pages of grandiose acknowledgments, as if she was receiving an Oscar or something, and all the A list name-dropping. (Gary Lineker FFS). Plus the comment about hoping the book would get her that “forever home”. And the high-profile endorsements from Nigella and Jay, who will now be forever associated with this sub-standard piece of crap.
I’d be astonished if any publisher ever takes a risk on her again.
Very telling that not ONE blueticker or chef or person from the acknowledgements has mentioned GK. It is baffling Nigella hasn't. She's always promoting new cookbooks.
Would her celeb chums she acknowledged have been sent a copy? Osman, Lineker, Russell Brand etc in the hope they would promote it?
Oops.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 50
WHAT is it with jack always featuring horrid wrinkly chickens in tabloid papers

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 31
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.