Jack Monroe #460 Foghorn Beghorn

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've tried 2 of BoL's recipes this week 😊 so goooood!

I haven't bought the book just did a quick search on his inst where EVERY SINGLE POST has a step by step guide and recipe written.

Out if interest I compared that insta page to our smol pixie who has been producing books and claiming to be a cook for much MUCH longer and....yep you guessed it, not a single recipe or cook a long video to be had 🤭

Jack, think you missed a trick there, chefiest of all chefs 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 55
Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
This book launch a genuine fucktastrophe 😕 It couldn’t have gone any worse.
A key problem is that, because of her appalling judgment telling the Guardian about her sideboard splurges, awareness of the grift has spread to everyone in Southend, so she’s really totally fuckoed now. No hope of redemption. If the TT try and force her on a local food bank for a photo op, there will be much vocal dissent from the volunteers who actually do all the damn work. The whispered dissent has been gathering pace, and the TT can’t* risk pissing off their volunteers by parachuting Jack Griftypants Monroe in. It’s satisfying.

*maybe they’ll risk it - but I think they know she isn’t worth it
Not just Southend (I know you didn’t mean just Southend), it’s EvEryOnE eVrYWhErE. Any organisation that ever thought about engaging her will be wary of the optics after she chortled about being a thief in the bleeping Guardian.

That’s right, right? I mean, that’s what happened? The grift can’t possibly continue? 😕

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 40
Waaaiiittt.... Is she bread-crumbing that she's NOT BUYING but instead RENTING?

0NOZEDd5_bigger.jpg

Jack Monroe

@BootstrapCook

(I’m hoping to put one at my new place if the landlord permits it - there are some strict covenants in the contract about the gardens and I think thefront one counts as a communal area. But I’ll ask in case they’re amenable to it )

Reactions: 16
The memoir blows my mind. Surely even she of the everest ego can see thats a no-go. Autobiography is tricky. It's potentially libellous, you've got a cast of characters who are real and may contradict you or object to your version. It requires a good memory and the receipts. Her only angle is The Pov Years an that story's has been retold more than Jesus virgin birth and is about as plausible. Now it's been picked apart and it's shady undercarriage exposed she can't dwell on that too much. Without that what is it? The story of a dull woman in a seaside town getting dumped repeatedly. Riveting.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 92
There’s SO much wrong with Grifty Kerching that I’m amazed it ever got as far as it did. Did no one actually look at it before it was printed? Spelling mistakes, formatting errors, dangerous hacks, recipes taking hours to cook and/or not working, incorrect number of recipes, no slowcooker, microwave or air fryer sections, recipes using expensive ingredients…

Even today I saw the free ebook has recipes containing alcohol - and that’s supposed to be distributed by a food bank?

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 91
I’m stunned that supermarkets have bought it tbh. I can understand indies with a strong Twitter presence fulfilling preorders for the liberal rage nans and pervy dads but every photo we’ve seen of them in the wild is a fully stocked shelf with other titles sold out?

A different industry but ime buying is cut throat, like a few bad buys and you’re outtaaahere so god help whatever good intentioned fool did it.
I get the feeling the supermarkets won't be replenishing their stock...

• Haha
Reactions: 50
The story of a dull woman in a seaside town getting dumped repeatedly. Riveting.
🤭 hehehe. it’s mad she’s gotta repeat the same tit about how they don’t understand her pained chaotic genius a whole four bleeping times? Maybe she’ll just have one chapter dedicated to the four failed engagements? 😬

I wish I’d had the foresight to try and scrape that Amazon sales ranking btw - if there’s ever another book out I promise the fraus I’ll give it a try so we can lol at graphs together ❤

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 55
Numbers SHAN'T cry
Why Numbers not cry?
Numbers SHAN'T cry
Cos best thread title fly.

Foghorn Beghorn is a stroke of genius and should be used as liberally as plenty of black pepper.
Other spices are available as they are all interchangeable

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Well if she is indeed renting (I can’t see it, she’s had hundreds of thousands of pounds I reckon) then the book that was meant to get her and Johnny their forever home is gonna get them a static caravan at best. I am thrilled that it’s bombed, she deserves nothing more.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 50
I meant the place she is supposedly moving to... A landlord? Wasn't she meant to be buying??
She's been implying that she's going to be renting the whole time. But Spanny friend said she was buying. Before Jack got her to do a dirty delete.

Reactions: 53
Whereas Bored of Lunch is sitting tight at #2, only behind Spare.
Isn't that crazy? I had never heard of Bored or the Batch Lady yet they have both nailed it.
It must show Jack's book doesn't have any 'kerb appeal' either ie even unawares casual browsers reject it.
If I wanted a big hardback cookbook I really would want something a bit escapist and inspirational tbh - not a quite sad reminder that life is grim.

• Heart
Reactions: 59
Waaaiiittt.... Is she bread-crumbing that she's NOT BUYING but instead RENTING?

View attachment 1876958
Jack Monroe
@BootstrapCook

(I’m hoping to put one at my new place if the landlord permits it - there are some strict covenants in the contract about the gardens and I think thefront one counts as a communal area. But I’ll ask in case they’re amenable to it )
You don't get covenants in the contract if you're renting, you do if you're buying a leasehold property. It's hard to parse her words as meaning anything other than that she's buying.

Almost all flats are leasehold - you own everything within the walls of your flat, but the freeholder owns the fabric of the building itself. You'll need the freeholder's permission to do stuff like replace the windows or make structural modifications. As leaseholder, you'll pay ground rent and service charges to the freeholder - the service charges will be used for upkeep of communal areas, and any repairs needed to the fabric of the building.

A restrictive covenant is a list of things that the freeholder says you must not do - eg. not keeping pets (common in new builds), not having bare wood floors in upper storeys, not leaving rubbish in the communal areas, not causing a nuisance to other leaseholders, etc.

In Jack's case, she's likely buying a share of the freehold, so will be both the leaseholder of her own flat and a part owner of the building along with the leaseholders of the other flats.

ETA: When Jack talks about the new 'landlord', she's almost certainly talking about the freeholder - the freeholder is sometimes referred to as the landlord, so technically she isn't lying (but is being deliberately confusing). You can see an example of this usage at https://www.gov.uk/leasehold-property

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 83
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.