Jack Monroe #460 Foghorn Beghorn

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Isn't that crazy? I had never heard of Bored or the Batch Lady yet they have both nailed it.
It must show Jack's book doesn't have any 'kerb appeal' either ie even unawares casual browsers reject it.
If I wanted a big hardback cookbook I really would want something a bit escapist and inspirational tbh - not a quite sad reminder that life is grim.
I’m assuming the BoL has been far more successful than even the publishers had dared to dream of as Amazon is quoting delivery of 1-4 weeks whereas GK not only is available tomorrow but also has four used copies (although somewhat confusingly they are all at a higher price than a shiny new one so presumably bought from misguided independents?)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 53
Isn't that crazy? I had never heard of Bored or the Batch Lady yet they have both nailed it.
It must show Jack's book doesn't have any 'kerb appeal' either ie even unawares casual browsers reject it.
If I wanted a big hardback cookbook I really would want something a bit escapist and inspirational tbh - not a quite sad reminder that life is grim.
And it just doesn't even look appealing., even ignoring the attack-kitten eyes and gormless shark-grin. Looks so utterly dull like it was knocked up for a GCSE Media project the night before hand-in.

• Haha
Reactions: 39
You don't get covenants in the contract if you're renting, you do if you're buying a leasehold property. It's hard to parse her words as meaning anything other than that she's buying.

Almost all flats are leasehold - you own everything within the walls of your flat, but the freeholder owns the fabric of the building itself. You'll need the freeholder's permission to do stuff like replace the windows or make structural modifications. As leaseholder, you'll pay ground rent and service charges to the freeholder - the service charges will be used for upkeep of communal areas, and any repairs needed to the fabric of the building.

A restrictive covenant is a list of things that the freeholder says you must not do - eg. not keeping pets (common in new builds), not having bare wood floors in upper storeys, not leaving rubbish in the communal areas, not causing a nuisance to other leaseholders, etc.

In Jack's case, she's likely buying a share of the freehold, so will be both the leaseholder of her own flat and a part owner of the building along with the leaseholders of the other flats.

ETA: When Jack talks about the new 'landlord', she's almost certainly talking about the freeholder - the freeholder is sometimes referred to as the landlord, so technically she isn't lying (but is being deliberately confusing). You can see an example of this usage at https://www.gov.uk/leasehold-property
You get restrictive covenants with listed buildings too, or other posh things like natural/heritage sites. Not that I think that applies in her case tbh it’s clearly that one lovely flat lol and she’s stupid for disclosing so much detail.

Reactions: 29
Had a look in Waterstones today 🍉 (the big one on Deansgate for Manchester fraus). Not one single copy of Grifty Kitchen in the
entire place, despite it having a huge cookery section.

20230112_113317.jpg

Curious, I nipped over to the smaller Waterstones in the Arndale (I promise I had actual shopping to do as well). They had a few half price copies in the promotional stand thing at the front of the store with Pinch of Vom and That Man. Absolutely none in the cookery section itself though, which seems slightly odd.
1000000779.jpg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 51
Tbh if I hadn't heard of Jack the wig on the cover would put me off. I don't know what she was thinking.

• Haha
Reactions: 48
Had a look in Waterstones today 🍉 (the big one on Deansgate for Manchester fraus). Not one single copy of Grifty Kitchen in the
ALL SOLD OUT OBVIOUSLY! 😅

(Both copies they ordered)

• Haha
Reactions: 35
Had a look in Waterstones today 🍉 (the big one on Deansgate for Manchester fraus). Not one single copy of Grifty Kitchen in the View attachment 1876982

Curious, I nipped over to the smaller Waterstones in the Arndale (I promise I had actual shopping to do as well). They had a few half price copies in the promotional stand thing at the front of the store with Pinch of Vom and That Man. Absolutely none in the cookery section itself though, which seems slightly odd.View attachment 1877001
Jackispin Version: they all sold out, that's why they didn't have any.. all the copies they ordered. (5)

• Haha
Reactions: 24
I meant the place she is supposedly moving to... A landlord? Wasn't she meant to be buying??
Could be more tricksy wording if the flat is a lease hold so effectively you don't own the land, just own the property and lease the land for an annual it monthly payment. 😉

ETA @Lucky Escape answered it quicker and much better than I have

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 16
You don't get covenants in the contract if you're renting, you do if you're buying a leasehold property. It's hard to parse her words as meaning anything other than that she's buying.

Almost all flats are leasehold - you own everything within the walls of your flat, but the freeholder owns the fabric of the building itself. You'll need the freeholder's permission to do stuff like replace the windows or make structural modifications. As leaseholder, you'll pay ground rent and service charges to the freeholder - the service charges will be used for upkeep of communal areas, and any repairs needed to the fabric of the building.

A restrictive covenant is a list of things that the freeholder says you must not do - eg. not keeping pets (common in new builds), not having bare wood floors in upper storeys, not leaving rubbish in the communal areas, not causing a nuisance to other leaseholders, etc.

In Jack's case, she's likely buying a share of the freehold, so will be both the leaseholder of her own flat and a part owner of the building along with the leaseholders of the other flats.

ETA: When Jack talks about the new 'landlord', she's almost certainly talking about the freeholder - the freeholder is sometimes referred to as the landlord, so technically she isn't lying (but is being deliberately confusing). You can see an example of this usage at https://www.gov.uk/leasehold-property
Mmm, you kind of do get covenants in rental agreements, it just means an obligation, like 'the landlord shall insure the house' but I'm pretty sure it's not ever referred to as a 'covenant' in rental agreements in the UK - and she's talking about 'restrictive covenants' of can/can't do which is definitely a leaseholder contract thing, and leaseholder = buyer....she's so foul to be lying about not buying when it's so obvious she is (remember the flat that fell through due to damp? Who conveyances a rental? NO ONE, JACK! You just move in, realise your Burberry is going mouldy, and think ah duck...!!!!)

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 45
Also, Thrifty Kitchen has plummeted out of the Amazon Top 650 700 bestsellers, roundly beaten by Teach Your Dog Piano in 120 Easy Steps!
Poor Content, at least they’ll look more natural playing the piano than Jack ever has (immediately goes to bleach that forsaken YouTube video from my memory again) if she rolls the dog out for likes and distraction.

• Haha
Reactions: 37
I checked - it’s not in Waitrose! And they sell Almond Flour!
I’m stunned that supermarkets have bought it tbh. I can understand indies with a strong Twitter presence fulfilling preorders for the liberal rage nans and pervy dads but every photo we’ve seen of them in the wild is a fully stocked shelf with other titles sold out?

A different industry but ime buying is cut throat, like a few bad buys and you’re outtaaahere so god help whatever good intentioned fool did it.

• Haha
Reactions: 35
I've tried 2 of BoL's recipes this week 😊 so goooood!

I haven't bought the book just did a quick search on his inst where EVERY SINGLE POST has a step by step guide and recipe written.

Out if interest I compared that insta page to our smol pixie who has been producing books and claiming to be a cook for much MUCH longer and....yep you guessed it, not a single recipe or cook a long video to be had 🤭

Jack, think you missed a trick there, chefiest of all chefs 🤣
Right?! I've got 3 screenshots of recipes to try and have 2 that are already firm favourites and I STILL plan on buying the book next time I see it. Jack is so money orientated that she's too scared to post recipes. She thinks people shan't buy her books if the recipes are available online. Sucks to be her though because people won't buy her books regardless.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
Right?! I've got 3 screenshots of recipes to try and have 2 that are already firm favourites and I STILL plan on buying the book next time I see it. Jack is so money orientated that she's too scared to post recipes. She thinks people shan't buy her books if the recipes are available online. Sucks to be her though because people won't buy her books regardless.
I'm eagerly awaiting my copy of BoL, am in such a cooking slump at mo, think all the slops have put me off.

• Haha
Reactions: 28
Tbh if I hadn't heard of Jack the wig on the cover would put me off. I don't know what she was thinking.
Same, not even trying to be funny with this but the wig and cloth hair piece and manic grin give big Christian splinter cell vibes so I’d assume it had some sort of religious affiliation so wouldn’t pick it up to even check it out? Small mercies for the unsuspecting supermarket shopper tbh.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 65

View attachment 1876982

Curious, I nipped over to the smaller Waterstones in the Arndale (I promise I had actual shopping to do as well). They had a few half price copies in the promotional stand thing at the front of the store with Pinch of Vom and That Man. Absolutely none in the cookery section itself though, which seems slightly odd.View attachment 1877001
Sidenote, that Fresh Mob book is ace! Comfort Mob is also really good, and they have loads of pretty accessible free recipes on their website. I don’t suppose Jack would like them; they’ve got and managed not to duck up a supermarket partnership (with Aldi) and “stole” her leftovers gig with Hellmans by actually being competent cooks.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.