Jack Monroe #458 This addled lie factory is on another level

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That’s going to be a legal minefield for the autobiography… if she said /
2F88AE81-C349-4A5F-A793-65A1F60F8015.jpeg
says her primary school teacher fiddled her… can see a retired primary school teacher in Essex getting a nice payout when they sue.

• Wow
Reactions: 59
I like the idea of a very dark red wine named Funny Funeral that tastes of grief and tears with a slight upnote of laughter through the tears. I don't drink red wine so SHAN'T be doing a taste test but trust me it's great and you get additional blue lips and purple teeth so no 77 lipsticks required the morning after you've sloshed a bucket of it down the night before. Maybe a cabernet sauvignon (fancy) x
I’d so love to be perusing the fine wines in an upmarket iffy and see a label emblazoned with a great big Deranged Cupcake leering at me at eye level. Life would be complete.

(Whenever I write posts I “hear“ them in the strangled-otter voice of Deranged Cupcake, kindly do not judge me)

• Haha
Reactions: 27
She really is The Teflon Con, isn't she?
We thought that with Sarah Akwisombe - the cancellation took longer than expected, but less than 2 years after scamming nearly a million quid, she's now complaining all her brand deals dried up due to companies knowing her name and job interviews go mysteriously cold (i.e. they Google her), so she's selling possessions on Nextdoor and trying to rent out her outhouse as a "studio" for £75/hr. It takes time, but I predict similar things for Jack Monroe.

Don't give up hope tender one ❤

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 77
Why not. There must be a really interesting psychology around influencers, grifters and how they work. They're not wired the same as the rest of us. Do it!!
Really interested in what fraus have had to say on this subject, especially @Lucy Aeroplane posts recently. I'm no academic so this may be a daft question, but I'll ask it anyway and hope you know what I'm trying to say..is there a particular demographic which is susceptible to the influence of "influencers"? Are people over a certain age, for example, completely unable to be influenced or even interested in "influencers", even if they are users of SM? I.e can you be aware of the influencer culture but not in the least bit influenced by them?
My head's in a spin trying to think it through 🤷‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 37
A bunch of things. First - I love food and I love food writing; I’m the kind of person who will read recipe books in the bath. I love how food is political and cultural and personal - at one end of the spectrum you’ve got writers like Nigel Slater who bring all of those things together in one way and at the other: well, you’ve got JM, whose writing is just as telling but in a way she hasn’t intended. The Slopalong really has it all - the forensic examinations into why the duck has she done that to the recipe? What did she intend? There’s something so telling about what JM means for British class and food culture at this point in time.

Second, and related to that, and similar to @Lucy Aeroplane , I am completely fascinated by grifter culture and the way it plays out online and in mainstream media. There seems to be something in the water at the moment with con artists - Anna Delvey, Tinder Swindler, Fyre Festival, Elizabeth Holmes, arguably loads of other activists too. (Will Ferrell voice) It is mind-bottling that no-one at all in the British media is prepared to stand up and say ‘she’s a fraud!’ because they are so completely implicated in all of this themselves. There’s some real Michael Gove ‘we have had enough of experts’ about JM - all of the American grifters have this weird air of sleazy glamour around them, but JM’s hustle is just so seedy and shabby and British and Brexity. All the tins - it’s like she’s demanding we prepare for a food future when all the supply chains go down. It’s incredible to watch. (@Lucy Aeroplane , please do that PhD!)

Finally, everyone here is funny as duck. It feels like early social media when everything was just a bit more off-the-chain, and as someone who’s had not a brilliant few years, I love that; I am always here for a bad photoshop job of a saucepan looking furious.
Jack’s hustle is just so seedy and shabby for thread title please ninnies!

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Really interested in what fraus have had to say on this subject, especially @Lucy Aeroplane posts recently. I'm no academic so this may be a daft question, but I'll ask it anyway and hope you know what I'm trying to say..is there a particular demographic which is susceptible to the influence of "influencers"? Are people over a certain age, for example, completely unable to be influenced or even interested in "influencers", even if they are users of SM? I.e can you be aware of the influencer culture but not in the least bit influenced by them?
I think there was some discussion of this in one of the Fyre Festival documentaries. Younger people stuck in tit jobs who have aspirations to a more luxurious lifestyle, and who have access to social media where they can see all these Insta influencers (allegedly) living the good life. This is why the Fyre Festival guys were able to scam all those ticket buyers. Luxury tents on the beach, deluxe gourmet food, big-name performers, supermodels.....for a few glorious days the attendees would be living the "rich and famous" lifestyle, and also able to put photos, videos etc on their own socials to show the world how privileged they were.

ETA: sorry, forgot to add that re age, older people use social media less IIRC, or are less likely to spend time on the media where the influencers hang out, like Insta and TikTok. They might also be more likely to understand that "Oh! My hair is so lovely! Thanks [sponsored product]" is basically an ad, not someone posting because they're recommending the product on their own without getting a freebie.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
It seems to be the older squigs most susceptible to Jack’s grifty style, exposed only to a bit of squiggling or Facebook whereas the kids whilst keener followers of influencers recognise it’s a gig and can turn on an instance if one seems a bit iffy. Jacks followers mostly don’t understand she has been a paid influencer for years and think she uses tinned peaches as that’s all she has from the food bank or budget ranges rather than paid for promotions by del monte.

Reactions: 37
As Jack is being a boring old coke hag, I was looking through the memes thread for a laugh.

Is this where Jack gets her inspiration from for her thrifty tips? 😂

Screenshot_20230110_230353_Chrome.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 58
Question for those of you who have been here a long time: how does she not just depress the duck out of you to the point of despair? I’ve been active for about 6 or 7 threads and i’ve had it with her. It’s not good the soul; I feel I need to switch off from her. You are all way more resilient than me! I’m a wee ❄ in the grand scheme of it all.
I find it is swings and roundabouts, sometimes I need time out from the threads. But then I'm lured back by new chaoi.

BTW did we know Big Dave had a caravan he is selling and uses the word ephemera but not in relation to chickpeas?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 52
I think there was some discussion of this in one of the Fyre Festival documentaries. Younger people stuck in tit jobs who have aspirations to a more luxurious lifestyle, and who have access to social media where they can see all these Insta influencers (allegedly) living the good life. This is why the Fyre Festival guys were able to scam all those ticket buyers. Luxury tents on the beach, deluxe gourmet food, big-name performers, supermodels.....for a few glorious days the attendees would be living the "rich and famous" lifestyle, and also able to put photos, videos etc on their own socials to show the world how privileged they were.
Thank you, so basically it was a scam aimed at a particular demographic, younger people with aspirations. I know this is a wild generalisation, but could it be that older people (and I'm one of them), aren't susceptible to lifestyle influencers because basically we've reached the point in life where we understand that "having stuff" isn't what makes us happy?

• Heart
Reactions: 38
Thank you, so basically it was a scam aimed at a particular demographic, younger people with aspirations. I know this is a wild generalisation, but could it be that older people (and I'm one of them), aren't susceptible to lifestyle influencers because basically we've reached the point in life where we understand that "having stuff" isn't what makes us happy?
That, and also older folks aren't as much into the status game of "I have the newest designer purse" "I have the newest skin product" etc etc. Which social media amplifies by giving people an opportunity to show off their possessions online.

Reactions: 26
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.