Jack Monroe #43 the devil('s herb) works hard but Jack works harder

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I had never heard of JM until I started my Social Work degree. My (least favourite) lecturer was obsessed with her. He added her to the reading list

*eye-roll* she was even featured in one of the PowerPoints with an extract from something she had written about being poor.

Someone has said it before, she is just someone for some middle/upper classes to fetishise, it is a fictional depiction of poverty that is more

palatable than the reality of life for actually impoverished people, who aren't only financially poor but don't have the social capital or the personally

perceived opportunities in life (education, social mobility etc). Not to mention adverse childhood experiences.

She's a fraud and it is really disturbing that her 'work' is being used as an educational tool. People should be equally concerned about that and the

impact of newly qualified social workers having this kind of tunnel vision than DW children books.

She is clearly addicted to SM and she will manufacture drama at any/anyones cost. if it wasn't the kitten situation it would be something else that

would garner attention and sympathy.
This is exactly it!!

She’s palatable to the masses because she “boot strapped” (her vile word of choice) her way out of it, which was a function of all her MC privileges you mention.

Would be far more valuable & tbh radical to feature the realities of poverty but people don’t want to see inescapable doom & gloom, horrid living conditions, and tbh people don’t care for non white non British non (Eurocentric) beauty standard conforming people either. She is fine with all of that, too 🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 29
She Instagramed a photo* of the towels in her bathroom a while back after being shown how to roll them instead of fold them (I think it was a "tip" from her dad, but I can't quite remember).

Anyway, there were plenty of rolled towels of various sizes but she'd done a really tit job of the actual rolling and then a further tit job of stacking them and it all looked a mess.

It annoyed me because I'm anal with tidiness 🤷🏼‍♀️😄🤣😂

*Photo was deleted along with other shots of the lovely big dorma crappy bungalow.
But but but didn't she say she used to work in the towel aisle of a leading supermarket so knew how to fold them precisely?! Or did I dream that - anything is possible at this point because I'm waaaay too invested in Jack's very BUSY CV.

• Haha
Reactions: 36
This is exactly it!!

She’s palatable to the masses because she “boot strapped” (her vile word of choice) her way out of it, which was a function of all her MC privileges you mention.

Would be far more valuable & tbh radical to feature the realities of poverty but people don’t want to see inescapable doom & gloom, horrid living conditions, and tbh people don’t care for non white non British non (Eurocentric) beauty standard conforming people either. She is fine with all of that, too 🤷🏻‍♀️

It pisses me off because it is all about meritocracy- she's alright because she's done alright. The reality is, for people who are genuinely marginalised

in an intersectional way it is a lot harder to 'do alright'.

Thread title:

Damn, Jackie
back at it again with a new beg

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 28
But but but didn't she say she used to work in the towel aisle of a leading supermarket so knew how to fold them precisely?! Or did I dream that - anything is possible at this point because I'm waaaay too invested in Jack's very BUSY CV.
Ooo good point, she did say that! She can't roll & stack, that's for sure 🙃

• Haha
Reactions: 15
She hasn't said whether or not she will go down asking for help with the fees, but I don't think she should at all. She took the kitty on and claimed she could look after it. Of she does read in here numerous people stated how vet bills can rack up and they do, very sneakily. The vets however are transparent about their costs so the rising costs should not come as that much as a surprise.

She needs to really "think her thinks" and decide whether she can manage it . Shes got a according to her a more than full time job a young kid who will be going back to school soon and another pet. This kitten will have to be thought about over every aspect of her life. If she wants to go on holiday she will have to ensure her kitten is getting the best of care in a cattery etc,. If she's got to travel miles to a studio to, she will need to find some to mind it. ( Catteries can stress cats out so should only be used for long term holiday, not flits) if and only if her career takes off and she gets super busy now is she going to juggle it all.

I had never heard of JM until I started my Social Work degree. My (least favourite) lecturer was obsessed with her. He added her to the reading list

*eye-roll* she was even featured in one of the PowerPoints with an extract from something she had written about being poor.

Someone has said it before, she is just someone for some middle/upper classes to fetishise, it is a fictional depiction of poverty that is more

palatable than the reality of life for actually impoverished people, who aren't only financially poor but don't have the social capital or the personally

perceived opportunities in life (education, social mobility etc). Not to mention adverse childhood experiences.

She's a fraud and it is really disturbing that her 'work' is being used as an educational tool. People should be equally concerned about that and the

impact of newly qualified social workers having this kind of tunnel vision than DW children books.

She is clearly addicted to SM and she will manufacture drama at any/anyones cost. if it wasn't the kitten situation it would be something else that

would garner attention and sympathy.
This is 100% nail on the head. Someone upthread (can't find it now sorry!) was talking about a period of their life when they were scarily short on money but concluded "but I was still MC". Poverty / non poverty difference is to do with money, sure, but is also greatly to do with social capital, networks, perceived opportunities, which in turn have an impact on communication skills, self confidence, perceptions of 'people in authority' and other things. Looked at objectively, in my opinion Jack is pretty, intelligent and due to her media career has plenty of social capital, so regardless of cashflow, poverty does not apply.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
She hasn't said whether or not she will go down asking for help with the fees, but I don't think she should at all. She took the kitty on and claimed she could look after it. Of she does read in here numerous people stated how vet bills can rack up and they do, very sneakily. The vets however are transparent about their costs so the rising costs should not come as that much as a surprise.

She needs to really "think her thinks" and decide whether she can manage it . Shes got a according to her a more than full time job a young kid who will be going back to school soon and another pet. This kitten will have to be thought about over every aspect of her life. If she wants to go on holiday she will have to ensure her kitten is getting the best of care in a cattery etc,. If she's got to travel miles to a studio to, she will need to find some to mind it. ( Catteries can stress cats out so should only be used for long term holiday, not flits) if and only if her career takes off and she gets super busy now is she going to juggle it all.
The thing is she doesn’t need to actively ask as she knows her tipjar is open.
(Will Smith pointing emphatically gif)

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Her career has tanked. The only thing she needs to juggle is tins of beans and bottles of jif.
If so even more reason to think about everything. I've been doing my own research on hypoplasia in my old uni text books( as I can only remember the basics off hand) but this kitten can potentially live many years( which can be good, but she could need lots of care) everyone's job is wobbly at present so taking on something that could potentially be costly ( especially to someone who has lived and fears poverty) isn't a wise choice. If 3 vets have suggested euthanasia its prognosis doesn't look good. I don't know if they have done blood works but they are a good general indicator of the animals internal health workings. The x-rays don't look good, but I don't know if that is the only thing they are basing the prognosis on. I would be surprised if they have as blood work is normally always the first thing they do, if the immediate problem isnt visible or it looks congenital.

Reactions: 12
It pisses me off because it is all about meritocracy- she's alright because she's done alright. The reality is, for people who are genuinely marginalised

in an intersectional way it is a lot harder to 'do alright'.
And the good old poverty jokes from the other day of being washed down with a hose and having no bowls were gross. Fair enough to look back on a traumatic time of your own and use gallows humour to talk about it among friends if that's what works for you, but when she

*insert Dr Evil finger quotes GIF*

makes a living from helping those who are still in poverty stretch their pounds and whatnot then it's very poor taste and massively insensitive to make jokes about the poverty phase when many of her followers/fans/readers/acolytes are still in it and looking to her to help and guide them.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Louisa is clearly having fun without Jack (reposted on her stories) - surely this is the reason why Jack is suddenly tagging her? I bet she can't STAND it!

Screenshot 2020-07-10 at 12.37.12 pm.png

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 59
The kitten stuff is so upsetting. I feel like you have all covered it better than I could, but I think she's just utterly awful for that weird *glee* again when things are tit. Because tit=attention. It just doesn't feel like a normal reaction at all. I would be horrified if it were me. Poor kitten. I've been tangentially involved with a cat charity for years, it's staffed by volunteers who absolutely adore cats and spend so much of their time caring and loving them, but they, for sure, would reluctantly take the three(!) vets' advice in this situation.

I, too, am also sad at the thought of our off-topic and lovely chat not happening anymore and would thoroughly support an off-topic thread if that is a possible thing.

Oh and in much happier news - gentle hugs and congratulations @NoseyParkour x
The more I read about her, the more I think we should stop all chat about JM, move to a different thread and ignore her! She’d be raging!! I’ve been speed-reading but was interested to see @Yel saying she’d posted a flouncey post 😂

Congrats Nosey! Really chuffed for you.

Love to everyone who has been affected by her tweets. She’s honestly the most frustrating, damaging person I’ve come across.

Every day I’m Grunka-ing 🚞🚞🚞🚞🚞

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 39
The more I read about her, the more I think we should stop all chat about JM, move to a different thread and ignore her! She’d be raging!! I’ve been speed-reading but was interested to see @Yel saying she’d posted a flouncey post 😂

Congrats Nosey! Really chuffed for you.

Love to everyone who has been affected by her tweets. She’s honestly the most frustrating, damaging person I’ve come across.

Every day I’m Grunka-ing 🚞🚞🚞🚞🚞
Come to food and drink thread in general!

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.