Jack Monroe #424 She’s as Greek as Prince William

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Chapter Two

When I was eleven I started at a girls grammar school, which daddy drove me to in his pink Mercedes Range Rover discovery, white van, fire engine. I was of course cleverer that 99.364 and three twelfths of Essex, and not like other girls, so had no chums except Rachel from Friends who I chained myself to for cold hard cash charity until she escaped. All my teachers hated me, said they’d take me down a peg or two, and that I’d amount to nothing and Borbora said I might be able to flip burgers if I kept my legs together (Which is actually slander, considering my labial disabilities. WARNED) Then one of them stalked me until I moved house 34 times.

Anyway, despite being utterly brilliant and starring in all the school plays while being cripplingly reclusive, I only managed four point 1.8 and a half o’levels and was expelled because everyone was jealous of me.

TBC
Those legs! That unruly labia!

I have visions of her walking like John Wayne after a two hour horse ride. :D

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 31
Yeah this aggravates me, people that respond to budgetting help and advice with "but what about the people that don't have a hob/can't afford meat/only have 10p for the week" etc. JO's Save with Jamie book came in for similar criticism. Not all pieces of budget cookery work have to cater for the extreme poorest, there are many people that need help to work to a tighter budget that aren't on the bones of their arse. It doesn't have to be advice to suit all people, all of the time. Just mitherers people trying to pick holes in the work others do.
Usually, the examples they use for their "but what about..." are people that likely don't need budget recipes, they need help and support and could do with signposting to where they can access such.
Fully agreed. It’s stupid nit picking. Mince in general is one of the cheapest and most versatile ways to eat red meat anyway. When I was on my own I’d buy a big pack and make a huge pot of chilli bulked out with lots of different types of beans, veg, rice. Then that would be my dinner for days, just bung it in the micro, bread n butter or spuds, sorted. Low energy output after the initial cook. Who eats a different full portion of red meat every day anyway? This isn’t Henry VIII’s dinner table, ffs.

Popping over from Sali Hughes' thread to point out that batch cooking is absolutely for people on UC. Jobseekers, Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance are/were paid every 2 weeks. One of the main challenges of moving to UC is people on a very low income moving to monthly payments. Totally ignorant silly tweet and JM droning her ignorance (again) about the benefits system - something she should know like the back of her hand to be adequately doing the works she claims as her niche - by liking it.
Yes this is what I was trying to say! Batch cooking on a Sunday for weeknight dinners. Yes.

Reactions: 71
Morning. Just to say she was in fact on twitter yesterday, because she 'liked' this comment about That Man's show.

View attachment 1708290

Let me speak on this for a minute because I have FEELINGS (not really lol, just a relevant anecdote). The other day my mum bought a small amount of mince for me along with her own. I was like 'oh great I'll make a bolognese'. I was going to bulk it out with a tin of lentils a la Jamie's suggestion on his programme. However, after some deep thought and soul-searching (again not really) I decided to give my mum back the mince because it's just not worth the cost of gas for me to be making one, maybe two, portions of bolognese. That's the whole point of the programme - how to reduce energy costs while making family meals which will last for more than a day. If you can't afford more than 250g of meat, I suggest mince and tatties or something which isn't going to be on the hob for an hour or more. Thank you for coming to my Ted talk etc.
You have hit the nail right on the head there.

I pushed the boat out & got some brisket as family coming today & turned on my (electric) oven in readiness to pop in.

Took one look at the power usage on my smartmeter - which I only got in June, so this is the 1st time I've been aware of what I'm using.

Was horrified & switched it off. Am cooking the meat on the (gas) hob instead, but have worried about how much that will cost too.

Am now seriously rethinking what to cook in the future. Its terrifying.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 48
A682F6F2-2597-429F-AFBF-CB320EFEE4BE.jpeg

Squig who is convinced that nobody on UC can afford 750g mince (instead suggesting 250g - to serve 12 - which is a really difficult size to buy in supermarkets) is superciliously telling people they haven’t been poor.

Frauen… squig is a retired dentist.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 115
View attachment 1708404

Squig who is convinced that nobody on UC can afford 750g mince (instead suggesting 250g - to serve 12 - which is a really difficult size to buy in supermarkets) is superciliously telling people they haven’t been poor.

Frauen… squig is a retired dentist.
I am on UC (I work part time so UC tops up my wages) and I bought minced beef, sausages and bacon this week. Makes you think 🤔

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 76
You have hit the nail right on the head there.

I pushed the boat out & got some brisket as family coming today & turned on my (electric) oven in readiness to pop in.

Took one look at the power usage on my smartmeter - which I only got in June, so this is the 1st time I've been aware of what I'm using.

Was horrified & switched it off. Am cooking the meat on the (gas) hob instead, but have worried about how much that will cost too.

Am now seriously rethinking what to cook in the future. Its terrifying.
Last year I bought an electric pressure cooker and I’m using it many times each week. Brisket is lovely and tender. See if you can get one, I promise you it will pay for itself and you will see an impact on your meter. Also great for batch cooking.

• Heart
Reactions: 60
Yeah this aggravates me, people that respond to budgetting help and advice with "but what about the people that don't have a hob/can't afford meat/only have 10p for the week" etc. JO's Save with Jamie book came in for similar criticism. Not all pieces of budget cookery work have to cater for the extreme poorest, there are many people that need help to work to a tighter budget that aren't on the bones of their arse. It doesn't have to be advice to suit all people, all of the time. Just mitherers people trying to pick holes in the work others do.
Usually, the examples they use for their "but what about..." are people that likely don't need budget recipes, they need help and support and could do with signposting to where they can access such.
Couldn't agree more. I'm half expecting someone to publish a bread recipe and be confronted with someone complaining that it's no good for someone who has recently lost both arms and is waiting to be fitted for new prosthetics so can't knead the bread. It is not possible to solve the cost of living crisis through budget cooking. It's useful for people who have enough to get by but are looking to tighten their belts. For people who live in permanent crisis due to long term low income, no amount of buggering about with recipes is going to help. In a way it's quite insulting to suggest that people in long term poverty haven't already developed strategies for coping and need someone on the telly to explain it to them.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 92
Isn't he behind one of the anti-Jack accounts on twitter, that got banned for a while (not necessarily due to tweets related to Jack). Sure it was him.
The one who got reported after posting a google map with a pin in 'Thorpe Bay', which Jack took to be an attempt to locate the crappy bungalow? That would make sense - it would certainly explain the obsessively crappy nature of so many of his other tweets.

Reactions: 41
This! Nothing to do with concern for others, splendid opportunity for a spot of whataboutery, subtext - look how much more clever than you *I* am. Doesn't help anybody, or solve anything. Bet you it gives the cretinous poster a glowing sense of self worth though.

• Heart
Reactions: 46
The one who got reported after posting a google map with a pin in 'Thorpe Bay', which Jack took to be an attempt to locate the crappy bungalow? That would make sense - it would certainly explain the obsessively crappy nature of so many of his other tweets.
I hadn’t made that connection - I think you’re right.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I think they're two different wrong 'uns. Millard had his own Twitter account but it's now been suspended.

Reactions: 23
Morning. Just to say she was in fact on twitter yesterday, because she 'liked' this comment about That Man's show.

View attachment 1708290

Let me speak on this for a minute because I have FEELINGS (not really lol, just a relevant anecdote). The other day my mum bought a small amount of mince for me along with her own. I was like 'oh great I'll make a bolognese'. I was going to bulk it out with a tin of lentils a la Jamie's suggestion on his programme. However, after some deep thought and soul-searching (again not really) I decided to give my mum back the mince because it's just not worth the cost of gas for me to be making one, maybe two, portions of bolognese. That's the whole point of the programme - how to reduce energy costs while making family meals which will last for more than a day. If you can't afford more than 250g of meat, I suggest mince and tatties or something which isn't going to be on the hob for an hour or more. Thank you for coming to my Ted talk etc.
The twitter bio for the person who posted that says that they're a retired dentist - so likely to be fairly well off and to be in receipt of a substantial pension. And they're telling people on UC that bulk cooking isn't for the likes of them? duck off.

• Heart
Reactions: 81
But when did Jamie say his recipes were specifically for people on UC?
Of course his recipes aren't for everyone and don't address the fuel/food costs crisis across the board - but that is why there is a thing called choice and people can look to other sources for help.
Jack is being a sneaky little twit here. No wonder most other chefs/food writers won't have anything to do with her.
And quoting from the slopalong thread @That Forensic Man has found a jack recipe for roasting a single beetroot for 75 minutes! So she can effoff with her performative crap about everything should be for a wee pov surviving on a tenner a week performance.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 75
Last year I bought an electric pressure cooker and I’m using it many times each week. Brisket is lovely and tender. See if you can get one, I promise you it will pay for itself and you will see an impact on your meter. Also great for batch cooking.
Same here. Got an instant pot for Xmas last year and batch at the weekends. Only 3 of us, so I can do a chilli in one go that will do two days of meals plus another two days worth for the freezer (any one of my one freezers 🤣)

• Haha
Reactions: 41

View attachment 1708290

I think the problem is, most hearty/flavoursome, meat dishes do require long slow cooks to give them that depth and richness (especially if they are tomato based ), mince obviously takes a lot less time to cook compared to chunks of say stewing steak/cheap cuts but really anything that’s got a lot of liquid from stock/tomatoes needs the cooking time for reduction and infusion to really give it that depth of flavour. Lots of folk turn to those type of meals in the winter for comfort/nutrition. No stew based foods are going to be cheap on energy, it’s really quite a scary thought that even people who know how to budget and bulk out these traditional peasant type meals, with pulses and veggies, to stretch it out and reduce the cost per portion, have to consider the extortionate cost of cooking it. I don’t think any chef has the answer on those type of meals because you just can’t reduce cooking time if you want authentic taste. I was raised on this type of cooking because we were poor, mince,onions, carrots and potato was recycled daily from potato hash, cottage pie, mince and tatties, potato hash with pastry top (we’d literally have that combination every day), but there was a lot of us and it’s what we had plus bread and marge (we couldn’t afford butter Jack!) but the cost of cooking it was never the issue, the issue was if my mum could afford to buy those ingredients and make them last out the week until my dad was paid.

I’m traditionally a big bulk cooker, I make lots of soups/bolognaise/stews and freeze them, I’m not a poor and even I’m watching my smart me spinning around like a Jack Monroe on snow and crapping myself. The reality is that most will have to weigh up the cheaper shop (so mince, tinned tomatoes, root veg etc) and the energy cost v ready meals/more expensive food and the cost to store and heat it. No chef including our smol pixie has the specific answer to this yet because there’s no universal formula for everyone. It’s going to be a matter of taking the relevant tips from all sources and working out what works best for you/your family.

What I do know for sure is I’d rather put my faith in a trained chef with decades of experience who has provided some absolute winners for my family than some charlatan with zero experience.

ETA - I see many ninnies have made similar points already 🙈

• Heart
Reactions: 81
FYI any vegetarian ninnies wanting to make bolognese without burning money with it taking loads of time on the hob.

I use Vivera mince. It's £2.60 ish, but I reckon I could get 4 servings out of it easily when bulked out with lentils. And it only needed a few minutes cooking. No need to leave it cooking down like with a ragu.

• Heart
Reactions: 44
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.