Jack Monroe #424 She’s as Greek as Prince William

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've had an instant pot for about 6 years - I use it several times a week. Really good piece of kitchen kit if you can stretch to the initial cost.

I bought a cheap airfryer years ago when my son started secondary school. Mainly so he could make himself snacks without putting the oven on, forgetting about it and burning down the house. But we used it loads so last Christmas I bought a Ninja dual airfryer. Yes, it is expensive, but we rarely use the main oven now. So if anyone is looking at buying an airfryer I suggest going for the biggest you can afford. You will use it much more than you think!

Where does the idea that people on benefits don't bulk shop/cook come from? Do they think people are trotting off to the post office every Thursday to cash their giro?!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 57
What Jack won't acknowledge is everyone has different circumstances. From kitchen appliances to food budget to time to dietary needs. The "recipes" in her books are not the answer to everything, same as That Man's recipes aren't.

There is no one answer, a one size fits all solution. The tips That Man gives are more likely to be useful, as they can be used to adapt multiple recipes. Cooking programs aren't there just to show you that recipe - they are to inspire, and give ideas on how to make things suitable for your household.

Frozen mince - usually cheaper than fresh, and you can use exactly how much you need. No point suggesting that to Jack's followers as you'll get a pile on about being rich because you have a freezer!

• Heart
Reactions: 55
Morning. Just to say she was in fact on twitter yesterday, because she 'liked' this comment about That Man's show.

View attachment 1708290

Let me speak on this for a minute because I have FEELINGS (not really lol, just a relevant anecdote). The other day my mum bought a small amount of mince for me along with her own. I was like 'oh great I'll make a bolognese'. I was going to bulk it out with a tin of lentils a la Jamie's suggestion on his programme. However, after some deep thought and soul-searching (again not really) I decided to give my mum back the mince because it's just not worth the cost of gas for me to be making one, maybe two, portions of bolognese. That's the whole point of the programme - how to reduce energy costs while making family meals which will last for more than a day. If you can't afford more than 250g of meat, I suggest mince and tatties or something which isn't going to be on the hob for an hour or more. Thank you for coming to my Ted talk etc.
Also worth considering that many of Jack’s recipes have leftovers, enough to feed 8 and some for freezing and for friends to take away with them.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 42
I've had an instant pot for about 6 years - I use it several times a week. Really good piece of kitchen kit if you can stretch to the initial cost.

I bought a cheap airfryer years ago when my son started secondary school. Mainly so he could make himself snacks without putting the oven on, forgetting about it and burning down the house. But we used it loads so last Christmas I bought a Ninja dual airfryer. Yes, it is expensive, but we rarely use the main oven now. So if anyone is looking at buying an airfryer I suggest going for the biggest you can afford. You will use it much more than you think!

Where does the idea that people on benefits don't bulk shop/cook come from? Do they think people are trotting off to the post office every Thursday to cash their giro?!
We're talking about people who have very little contact with people outside their own class. They probably think of the poors as shouty, fat people who don't know how to cook (a bit like Jack and her watching Jeremy Kyle in a tracksuit chat).

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 62
This! Nothing to do with concern for others, splendid opportunity for a spot of whataboutery, subtext - look how much more clever than you *I* am. Doesn't help anybody, or solve anything. Bet you it gives the cretinous poster a glowing sense of self worth though.
Totally. The Pov Olympics is a favourite MC spectator sport. Gives the comfortable a chance to polish those halos. That Man was generous and forgiving to signal boost Jack's slops. He used to get sooo much tit around the time of Turkey Twizzlergate but he never rose to it, never reacted, he's just kept on doing what he does being professional and a safe pair of hands an he seems generally very well respected now as a result. The plucky pixie could never.

Reactions: 44
Ah. A nice story about Mom on Desert Island Discs now with Richard E Grant. When his wife was very ill with cancer Nigella would taxi over home cooked food every Sunday for them :cry:

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 79
The twitter bio for the person who posted that says that they're a retired dentist - so likely to be fairly well off and to be in receipt of a substantial pension. And they're telling people on UC that bulk cooking isn't for the likes of them? duck off.
I would have thought that as well as being economical that batch cooking is an absolute god send for most people regardless of whether they're on UC or not....who seriously wants to spend hours midweek cooking every evening when you can do it all in one big go?

• Heart
Reactions: 40
I have to say I am considering getting a chest freezer as mine is quite small so I struggle to batch cook. I wonder if this is how the descent into being a slop cooking grifter begins.
I have two freezers and two fridges 😳. I know, I know, I am embarrassed for myself. In my defence, one fridge freezer is just an old one that lives in the garage and mainly stores the 100’s of ice lollies that makes up the staple diet of my afore mentioned autistic child. We batch cook a lot because with 3 children, 1 with severe SEN and 2 full time jobs we are BUSY, so I justify it to myself that way. And none of them are monstrous SMEGs.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 49
Pressure cooking is a fast way to slow cook food.

I use it to do an irish stew in about 40 mins all in and it tastes like its been cooked for hours.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
Yes that is what I remember too. However some of us were suspicious at the time and suggested that if her tale was true, lack of sobriety might be behind it.
See most people when they fall over at least attempt to put their hands out, reflexes innit. Even after a skinfull.

Reactions: 23
My sister got both an air fryer and a slow cooker recently, swears by both of them. I'm waiting for Black Friday to get an air fryer (though I think Iceland was recently doing a deal on them, £40 each and they looked pretty decent) and doing some research but choosing which one to get is HARD, there's so many and they all have their pros and cons. And I'm just incredibly indecisive.
Theres a 40 quid 1 on amazon, proper decent dear heart

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Is this person asking for a months donation or for the whole 2 years she hasn't done anything on Patreon?
she’s asking for 2 months at £10 per month…she cancelled after that when she realised no rewards were forthcoming, I believe.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Have none of these people heard of the butcher. You can buy as much mince as you want there, you can even say can i have what mince that will add up to 2 pounds. I know, my mum used to do it when she was skint.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 46
My thanks and tributes to all those posting on the Slopalong. It's a fascinating and hilarious experiment. And it seems fair, too, in that everyone is trying their best to make it edible and judge it positively if at all possible.
It's a beautiful but also disgusting thread thanks to Jackslop. I was shocked at how bad my attempt turned out and I'm not a bad baker. But the other meals that have been tried are also proving to be substandard in a variety of ways. The thread is obviously a lot of fun but it's also a valuable experiment because we are proving that Jack's recipes are untested, don't work, waste food, fuel, time and money, are calorie deficient and completely inedible. It's a horrific waste of paper and ingredients to champion her fake recipes. The media are complicit cunts for enabling her shitslop.I bet she just sits there and googles random foods to pair with others. Or steals existing recipes to wildly tweak and pass off as her own. All untested of course. She has no clue about food or economy.

• Heart
Reactions: 78
Is this person asking for a months donation or for the whole 2 years she hasn't done anything on Patreon?
I think they cancelled their Patreon after 2-3 months, so it's only about £20-£30 they went back. Jack could pay that easily, she's choosing not to because she's an impotent little tit who gets off on these rather pathetic power trips.

• Angry
  • Sick
Reactions: 63
What Jack won't acknowledge is everyone has different circumstances. From kitchen appliances to food budget to time to dietary needs. The "recipes" in her books are not the answer to everything, same as That Man's recipes aren't.

There is no one answer, a one size fits all solution. The tips That Man gives are more likely to be useful, as they can be used to adapt multiple recipes. Cooking programs aren't there just to show you that recipe - they are to inspire, and give ideas on how to make things suitable for your household.

Frozen mince - usually cheaper than fresh, and you can use exactly how much you need. No point suggesting that to Jack's followers as you'll get a pile on about being rich because you have a freezer!
Yeh an most ppl on a budget would rather eat cheap noodles and sandwiches multiple days a week to allow them a bit of what they fancy on another day. You have to have something to look forward to. Hate this patronising fantasy of everyone permanently chewing the cud of a smartprice kidney bean and crushed dreams stew

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 70
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.