Jack Monroe #423 The only TV show Jack Monroe needs to be on is Crimewatch

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thread title by @Whaa? nominated by @Brian Butterfield - your prize is an advance copy of Grifty Kitchen each.

Jack is in the middle of the mother and father of all clean-up acts. She's written a Patreon post apologising to her backers and put up an explanation for the Teemill money on her website. One squig who has been pursuing a Patreon refund for a while has tweeted to say Jack has contacted her to sort it out. The canal suspects Jack is not entirely doing this of her own free will, but that it's connected to her upcoming book launch.

Wiki is the pink button, please use the words thread title when nominating one.

• Heart
Reactions: 100
Jack is also releasing 30 free slop recipes into the world. Just when we thought 2022 couldn't get any shitter.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 123
Thank you @Falkor and good luck @Geetbo

So in the past 24 hours Jack has written two faux apologies - one to Patreon & one hidden on her blog that gets under half the search volume her tattle threads do (and tweets promoting this have since been deleted) in preparation for her book pre order opening. She’s also refunding some of the visible noisy Patreon subs to stop the Twitter dissent.

Patreon payday has begun and she currently has 669 subs, we expect this to continue to decrease over the next 24 hours.

Go well dear hearts x

• Heart
Reactions: 93
I'm just sat here absolutely AGHAST at the sheer brass neck on her. Imagine thinking she could put out two statements the day before she announces that pre-ordering of her new £20 book is open, and that those statements would scrub everything so she can carry on as if nothing's happened. She's a clown, and she takes everyone else for clowns.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 134
We taking bets on how many of these 30 ‘free’ recipes are ones that are already on the blog and probably developed back in 2015? I’m guessing 25/30 will be repeats and that’s being generous.

• Haha
Reactions: 88
Does this mean she's going to have to write even more new recipes now, because patreon postcard fulfillment includes that? Or will she use TK recipes on the grounds that if she gets to the post office pdq it's still more than a month before book is on sale?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 47
We taking bets on how many of these 30 ‘free’ recipes are ones that are already on the blog and probably developed back in 2015? I’m guessing 25/30 will be repeats and that’s being generous.
20 are from previous books and 10 from the new one, acc. to blurb I have read somewhere #forensic

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 50
Does this mean she's going to have to write even more new recipes now, because patreon postcard fulfillment includes that? Or will she use TK recipes on the grounds that if she gets to the post office pdq it's still more than a month before book is on sale?
That's my theory, I think she's printed a bunch of postcards based on unreleased Thrifty Kitchen recipes. I doubt she's actually developed any new recipes just for patreon.

Reactions: 46
Jack giving away a copy of Grubby Kitchen just reeks of more damage control to me. Trying to look kind and generous. Good luck with your projects.
Previous thread is thataway, my dudes.

Reactions: 50
Pretty certain they’ll be various ones from her extremely highly paid corporate sponsorships over the past few years. She wouldn’t do any additional work if she could help it*

*I type, sitting at my laptop eating Steak McCoys and scrolling Tattle.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 71
That's my theory, I think she's printed a bunch of postcards based on unreleased Thrifty Kitchen recipes. I doubt she's actually developed any new recipes just for patreon.
She promised though, Thrifty Shades of Beige is its own whole tier.

• Haha
Reactions: 34
She's made a stick to beat herself with by promising to fulfill the Patreon rewards I think. Honestly I'd say the amount of people who signed up for the purposes of receiving random postcards are pretty minimal compared to people who just wanted to vaguely support her. She'd have been better off to try agree an amnesty on the missed stuff and just refund anyone who wanted them (genuinely don't think it would be a huge percentage or she'd have seen more subscriptions cancelled).

• Heart
Reactions: 61
I say about 50%. (Or slightly tweaked to make it look new).
I'm not even blaming Jack for this, there's just a limited number of recipes you can make very cheaply. It's best to be honest about this.
For anyone that is really skint, I recommend finding 3-4 affordable recipes that you like, and sticking to them. It saves wasting food, and I found that it removed a lot of the stress around food as well. You can always change them once you go off them.

• Heart
Reactions: 64
What's the bet it's the same photo on cards as in book -(I think someone said she would be responsible for photography etc not the publisher) so there are digi files ready to go.

Reactions: 23
She's made a stick to beat herself with by promising to fulfill the Patreon rewards I think. Honestly I'd say the amount of people who signed up for the purposes of receiving random postcards are pretty minimal compared to people who just wanted to vaguely support her. She'd have been better off to try agree an amnesty on the missed stuff and just refund anyone who wanted them (genuinely don't think it would be a huge percentage or she'd have seen more subscriptions cancelled).
Yes, and now to get out of her original offer she will have to backtrack and make a statement along the lines you have outlined above. This will make her look like a prick, IMHO.

Reactions: 21
A squig, who has previous with Jack, has announced on Twitter that Jack has contacted them to begin refunding their Patreon. Apologies if this was already noted on a previous thread?

Reactions: 28
My bet is that 10 of them will be from her new book, so will be recycled from old blog posts, and that 20 of them will be from previous books, so already recycled multiple times.

Oh and I bet you’ll either have to go to her publisher’s website or the Trussell bleeping Trust to download them too.
D50A5AB2-1603-4E30-B046-8FD1277C89B4.jpeg

😝 I remembered it was here- maybe don’t click on this sycophantic fawning shite that calls here a “national treasure” today tho, so screenshotted to save you all from this again

Also, here’s the/a critical Patreon Squig deleted post for posterity. Someone’s posted it in the Cardiff org’s Twitter comments
2455E1F7-1A22-4E30-A9BC-8B37F79E503B.jpeg
NOW DO A FEEBLE POST ON THE GRIFTED LEGAL FEES JACK! Please ensure that one is also utterly nonsensical with more holes in it than a moth eaten doily, won’t you?

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 66
That new thread feeling 🤪
boxing.gif

More apologies, more slops, more singing!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 52
While Jack is clearing up some of the Teemill questions it'd be great if she could explain how a t-shirt costing £24 and a tote bag costing £16 can both provide exactly three days of emergency food? The only way that works is if they have an identical profit margin, but bearing in mind a tote bag costs pennies to make I just don't think that's feasible.

That's also ignoring where she figured out £7.92 was the cost of three days' food, or more likely she pulled the slogan out of her arse because she thought it sounded catchy. From a fundraising perspective however that's a big no no as she needs to be able to evidence how much money went to charity from each product.

There's more to answer Jack than you've set out in your latest blog.

Screenshot_20220202-093551~2.png
Screenshot_20220202-124931~2.png

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 58
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.