Jack Monroe #417 Hard to play the victim when you’ve ripped people off.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If any journalists are looking into this, loads of people replied to this thread saying they would sign up. I would hope they’d also use things like Jack tweeting screenshots of her bank account with nothing in & evidence of several high end purchases that contradict that-the point is that people can choose to sign up but 1. Guilt tripping/misleading anyone over the reality of whether Jack actually works for free & is genuinely in financial need means signing up was not an informed choice and 2. Jack has failed to deliver on what was part of the deal (those bloody postcards). There’s also the credibility that comes from a well known & respected celebrity like Nigella which is problematic when she apparently takes Jack’s claims at face value and no checks or confirmation appear to have been done. See also the guardian/bbc etc platforming someone who is not qualified or experienced in what she claims (lack of nutrition in recipes, claims that are proven to be incorrect, bad advice, not even a GCSE in politics etc)

Attachments

• Angry
  • Sick
Reactions: 56
I hope if it is going down the Patreon route, they include a decent creator to show the gold standard and contrast it with Jack's rotten record. That gives a good creator a boost and immediately removes a lot of the excuses that will be made for Jack. More so if they happen to use a creator with disabilities.
I hope they will interview her and ask her thoughts on it. Ask her why she didn't suspend it when she knew she could not/would not fulfil the promises. Ask her why she didn't update her subscribers on the work that their funding was enabling. Ask her why she steadfastly refused to engage with them on any level even when repeatedly asked. Also ask her why, if she insisted most were paying £1, she would never disclose the income from it.
And yes contrast with a creator who respects their subscribers and is diligent in their promises, and another who when they realised they could not fulfil it either suspended it, closed it down or actually asked their patrons if they minded getting nothing for their money.

• Heart
Reactions: 62
If Jack really does have a lawyer, of whatever faith, and she was asked questions like that, she would be well advised to say something like "no comment" or "I have taken these matters under advisement and will be proceeding forward with them in mind." Because TBH if she responds with "it's a Tory troll campaign out to get me, I never promised anything like that and anyway I couldn't do it because [insert disability-related excuse here]" she would be potentially opening herself up to all kinds of fraud charges. Because there are receipts to show exactly what she said and when she said it, as Awfully Molly has shown.

• Heart
Reactions: 43
I suspect she'd decline an interview and just send a prepared statement via email that waffles on about how she disputes many of the allegations against her but ongoing police and legal action that prevents her from making any comment at this stage. It won't make the issue go away but Jack is stupid and arrogant enough to think that it will. The longer she leaves it, the worse it's going to get for her, particularly if she starts tin rattling during a lull.

• Heart
Reactions: 48
I'd like to know WHAT the VBI is. As far as I know, it's a list of Jack's receipts for ten years showing that, unbelievably, costs have risen. There may or may not be a column headed "Very Poor People's Shops in Bumsville" with comments as to whether an item was available on the day Jack didn't bother going into the shop. Another section will show a Flying Monkey's receipt from a different ship, proving that different shops have different prices on different days, in comparison to other shops. Lastly, a detailed analysis will conclude that many people who earn a high income have more discretionary income and may choose to buy different, even "better" varieties of a product.

It's going to blow our tiny minds, that's all I know.

And hi, all. Have been very busy working 100 hour days, but you will not take my freedom. Day 12654 of breathing air and being grateful for the fellowship of the ring.
I’m grunking so sorry if bad landing, but we seriously need a data analyst frau to explain this 😂
I like to think I’m a fairly intelligent person and I actually did an economics IGCSE in my late teens by choice because it interested me (more of an economist than Jack already lol) and I honestly can’t figure out the logic behind the concept of it.
It makes my head hurt so much trying to figure it out that I think it’s actually killing brain cells.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
@MistyWindows I think the logic behind the VBI is I'M JACK LOOK AT ME I'M SUCH AN ACTIVIST LOOK AT ME ACTIVIST-ING

There is no way to calculate a reliable measure of grocery/household price changes across time from random receipts sent in by squigs on the Internet. There's a reason why the ONS (and pretty much every other govt statistical agency on earth) doesn't arrive at its cost-of-living estimates using that methodology.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 54
As far as anyone can tell the VBI was supposed to be exactly what the new ONS data does. Except the ONS data exists so why the need for the VBI? Another big stumbling block to completing the VBI was Jack wanted to personally visit a shop in 10 deprived areas. That’s a LOT of trains. And you know what happens to Jack on trains. Opal fruits everywhere, shink kicked, Mediterranean arse, it’s Cath Kidson, witch etc

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 56
As far as anyone can tell the VBI was supposed to be exactly what the new ONS data does. Except the A data exists so why the need for the VBI?
I think it's so that Jack can cherry pick the data and "prove" that basics hoops have increased in price more than Charlie Binghams ready meals. In other words it's Jack sniffing her own farts in public and wanting praise for it. If Chris-Mate sees it he'll demolish it in 15 seconds (includes time spent with head in hands before tweeting).

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 46
Oh Chris Giles mate and the Dresserman will be liquidating the smol pixie‘s “findings” like Ghostbusters taking down the Stay-Puft marshmallow man. Can’t wait. Well, I can, but yano

• Haha
Reactions: 31
I think it's so that Jack can cherry pick the data and "prove" that basics hoops have increased in price more than Charlie Binghams ready meals. In other words it's Jack sniffing her own farts in public and wanting praise for it. If Chris-Mate sees it he'll demolish it in 15 seconds (includes time spent with head in hands before tweeting).
Why isn't campaigner extraordinaire Jack doing something now? She has done a Greta Garbo over her Mum's manky spuds. I don't miss her one bit and actually hope she doesn't return to twitter, but surely as a committed advocate and campaigner she should be up front in these times?
I think she should stay off twitter, but she was the one bleating on about how important her work on there was and no one could drive her away.

Reactions: 39
I bet a honey badger couldn't fight The Pumble. I wouldn't be surprised if The Pumble eats badgers, both honey and plain.
Don’t Honey Badgers tend to go for the bollocks when they attack? (Insert bollock sausage joke, I’m tired)

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 28
Why isn't campaigner extraordinaire Jack doing something now? She has done a Greta Garbo over her Mum's manky spuds. I don't miss her one bit and actually hope she doesn't return to twitter, but surely as a committed advocate and campaigner she should be up front in these times?
I think she should stay off twitter, but she was the one bleating on about how important her work on there was and no one could drive her away.
I think she'll come up with a mini-VBI and claim it's a preview of the whole thing before softly, gently never mentioning it again. I note she only seems to tweet in the evenings these days so I suspect she's either breadcrumbing dayhab or working on her pointless spreadsheet.

Reactions: 27
It *might* be possible to do something like the VBI on a small scale e.g. by getting food banks in different regions to send shoppers to their local supermarkets and buy the same items on the same day for a couple of weeks. But that would require coordination. But with Jack's spotlight-grabbing tendencies and her repeated insistence that she is the only person in the entire country advocating for the poors and working on their behalf - I suspect it would be very difficult for her personally to get the amount of cooperation and collaboration that would be needed to carry out a plan like that.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
One of the reasons given for the VBI was the ONS only publish data every 6 months. So Jack wanted something up to date, current, in the moment that reflected what people saw in the shops that week. I laughed at the time, and it still gets a chuckle when I remember it. Absolutely absurd Jack could pull this together over a weekend as first claimed. And no, it proves very little other than prices vary.

The Charlie Bigham thing is not as clear cut as Jack thinks either. When they first started, they were a small business and a lot of the work was manual. As they grew, they've expanded their facilities to get an economy of scale, so the price point stays similar. It's as though they used a proven business model or some other witchcraft.

The sweeping statements Jack makes might be my aneurysm. The other old but good one is keeping costs low at the shelf with no thought to the supermarket workers, supply chain, manufacture, back to the farm. The price we pay reflects all these elements - it isn't just a number Mr Asda gets from rolling dice.

All stuff we covered in Jan / Feb but thought it worth another mention for any newer Fraus.

• Heart
Reactions: 73
All stuff we covered in Jan / Feb but thought it worth another mention for any newer Fraus.

First up, it was more of a revelation to some fraus that it's 'Bigham's' not 'Bingham's'. It'll always have the N to me, lol.

Secondly, Bigham's have risen in price too. Everything is rising in price in huge leaps, not just the basic stuff she claimed. She never even considered Shrinkflation either. So many products are more expensive for less inside the packet. She didn't even use proper comparisons on the original thread of bullshit too. She just picked whatever fitted her narrative best and blamed Asda's empty shelves for her nonsense.

In summary; Jack is a moron and a lazy workshy mare. Her idiocy has had a direct increase of 344% since January. FACT.*

*I made this fact up, but it's totes believable, non?!

• Haha
Reactions: 67
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.