Jack Monroe #417 Hard to play the victim when you’ve ripped people off.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm worried her parody is playing into her hands now. Such evil trolls, twisting her words to make a bigger joke of her than she ever could single handedly.

Reactions: 21
I've still got a bit of catching up to do but can I just say, Jack's the creator of the VBI?

Has she got a new career as the designer of the Emperor's new clothes, too?

• Haha
Reactions: 47
I'd like to add that anyone under £3.50 also has no reason to complain, because nothing at all is promised at that level. It's simply to support all she does, and all she does is buy crap and act like an idiot on Twitter. So she's fulfilled her £1 obligations.
But patreon discourage 1 squid subscriptions because of the fees, it probably costs them more than that to actually process it.

Reactions: 32
Time to buy a flask and a onesie. Find the torch and the batteries.

We had no power for A WEEK last winter during a massive storm and I am miraculously still alive.
View attachment 1660548

1. You've made this "joke" before.
2. Give the people funding your lifestyle via Patreon the courtesy of an update, you bleeping waster.
EVERYONE has made that joke before. FYI, taco snuggie for all your winter blackout needs.

Attachments

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
That particular squig has receipts. I wonder if they've done an interview/supplied information. They've been very consistent in facing down suspected Jack socks and flying monkeys and offered to show receipts again to them via zoom- which none of them want to take her up on. They also managed to get one months fees refunded by Patreon. It's not unlikely that journalist might do the story as a look at value for money from Patreon and use this story as an example of things that have gone wrong, without touching on the wider grift. I am not a lawyer but if you have someone with receipts who is willing to go on record and Jack gets the opportunity to comment, I can't see a major legal issue with it if it's just focused on the Patreon issue

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 70
I started subscribing to some musicians' Patreons during lockdown, and both of them have been excellent - private online concerts, transcriptions of songs, advance listens for new music etc. Quite unlike the smol pixie's 0️⃣
With things like Patreon and Kickstarter, Jack really craps all over the people who use them as intended. I know someone who's done a few Kickstarter's now, and she fully documents every step of it for her supporters. And there's lots of really good Patreon accounts out there too. I agree Patreon seems terrible in terms of customer support when things go wrong though.

• Heart
Reactions: 48
Yes, one angle that a media outlet could use is "why Patreon is a playground for scammers" - I.e. no recourse for ripped-off squigs - and use the smol pixie's antics as an illustrative example. Not a lawyer either, but that would be relatively safe legally because of the 100s of complaints on her Patreon page, along with Patreon's publicly posted terms of "service".

• Heart
Reactions: 51
With things like Patreon and Kickstarter, Jack really craps all over the people who use them as intended. I know someone who's done a few Kickstarter's now, and she fully documents every step of it for her supporters. And there's lots of really good Patreon accounts out there too. I agree Patreon seems terrible in terms of customer support when things go wrong though.

Patreon, Substack and even just Paypal tip jars are all valid ways to support creators and it's really frustrating that they've been brought into disrepute by grifters. I know some people on here take a more hardline view but as I've said before I just see it as online busking and provided people aren't being conned or sadfished I think it's a good thing. I do think there needs to be some form of regulation to allow people who have donated in the expectation they'd get perks to seek recourse when that doesn't happen and probably also to protect creators from malicious complaints.

• Heart
Reactions: 58
I meant to post this when there was chatter about how advances are paid, etc. They are advances--so payments made in anticipation of future sales. If you don't have the sales to cover your advance, you often have to pay back your publisher. Have had friends watch sales closely and jump for joy when advance is covered. They also didn't blow the advance on sunglasses, handbags, leather clothing, etc.

It's why a small advance isn't always a sucky thing, and why it's more common in certain genres. Publishers don't usually give huge advances anymore and if they do it's to stir up interest in a work that they think will be the next Da Vinci Code.
Long time lurker, swooping in to correct the BIB because it's a common misconception. You do not have to pay back your advance if you don't earn out (the royalties earned from sales exceeds the amount of the advance).

Failing to earn out may impact future deals, especially if the advance was small, but a big advance doesn't need to earn out for the publisher to make a profit and to consider the book a success. Small advances may sometimes be negotiated against a higher royalty percentage (I believe Matt Haig did this), but larger advances secure the marketing support from the publisher. Publishing contracts often have "success clauses" too - so X% for the first AAA number of copies, Y% after that. So if, say, somebody purchased copies of their book to donate to charity, they would benefit not just from the royalties, but possibly also from the higher royalties they would earn after that.

You good ninnies may be interested to know cookery writers are usually responsible for paying for their own photography. Somebody mentioned 5K as a figure for an advance. While totally typical for fiction, it sounds a little low to me for a cookbook. I know this is an exciting fact, but it doesn't mean that's how JM's contract works because there are always exceptions. Nevertheless, it makes you think.

Carry on, Fraus. I appreciate all you do.

(Knowing how publishing works, I also have extreme side-eye for the housing benefit suspension after the first deal announcement. I strongly suspect with zero proof that she didn't inform the relevant people about her income - deals are often (but not always) signed long before the official announcement. The Society of Authors (the trade union) is a good source of advice for how to negotiate lump sum income and means tested benefit payments, as well as author taxes, which work differently than normal person taxes)

• Heart
Reactions: 90
That tree pic ... Most people would say:"look at this tree, isn't it beautiful?"

Our Jack says.. "look at my photo, isn't it beautiful?"

Such a needy twit, even trying to steal a tree's thunder

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 82
Long time lurker, swooping in to correct the BIB because it's a common misconception. You do not have to pay back your advance if you don't earn out (the royalties earned from sales exceeds the amount of the advance).

Failing to earn out may impact future deals, especially if the advance was small, but a big advance doesn't need to earn out for the publisher to make a profit and to consider the book a success. Small advances may sometimes be negotiated against a higher royalty percentage (I believe Matt Haig did this), but larger advances secure the marketing support from the publisher. Publishing contracts often have "success clauses" too - so X% for the first AAA number of copies, Y% after that. So if, say, somebody purchased copies of their book to donate to charity, they would benefit not just from the royalties, but possibly also from the higher royalties they would earn after that.

You good ninnies may be interested to know cookery writers are usually responsible for paying for their own photography. Somebody mentioned 5K as a figure for an advance. While totally typical for fiction, it sounds a little low to me for a cookbook. I know this is an exciting fact, but it doesn't mean that's how JM's contract works because there are always exceptions. Nevertheless, it makes you think.

Carry on, Fraus. I appreciate all you do.

(Knowing how publishing works, I also have extreme side-eye for the housing benefit suspension after the first deal announcement. I strongly suspect with zero proof that she didn't inform the relevant people about her income - deals are often (but not always) signed long before the official announcement. The Society of Authors (the trade union) is a good source of advice for how to negotiate lump sum income and means tested benefit payments, as well as author taxes, which work differently than normal person taxes)
This is really interesting, like many people I just assumed the advance might be recoverable. Would you know if the cookbook author would typically be responsible for arranging their own recipe testing too? If so, it might explain a lot about Jack's slops.

• Haha
Reactions: 35
Time to buy a flask and a onesie. Find the torch and the batteries.

We had no power for A WEEK last winter during a massive storm and I am miraculously still alive.
I am no longer in the UK, but we're advised to have 'cyclone kits'. Things like torches, extra batteries, a reasonable stock of tinned and ready to use dry goods, and bottled water. I'd imagine a similar kind of thing would be useful for any planned outages.

It sounds like a tough situation, but scaremongering won't help. We used to get very regular outages, sometimes for over 12 hours (they skimped on putting the power lines in when they built my suburb, but have fixed it in recent years) and it's not nice, but at least if you're aware it's going to happen, you can prepare somewhat for it.

• Heart
Reactions: 42
Some people can't wait for the end times. I know life is tough for many, but there is also so much fear mongering going on. What the government are doing is outrageous, but also, almost everyone will be fine if there may be blackouts. Those who have electric medical devices will need back up, as always, people who are already vulnerable will suffer the most, but no one will starve because there's no electricity for 6 hours.
We had blackouts when I were a child, think the miners were on strike, was rescued several times by the fire brigade, having been in the lift when the power went off. We lived on the nineteenth floor. Going down was ok, but going up was another matter

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 43
I was looking for the first tweet - as I *think* it is one of the few times she passes any reference to the amount of patrons. Of course she thanks Nigella not the patrons and dismisses it as a small number.
I'd forgotten the second one. Nauseating and completely entitled at the same time.

Screenshot_20221018_231031.jpg

Screenshot_20221018_231004.jpg

Btw am I reading the second one right? She views subscription models as 'no-obligation'? 😲

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 68
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.