Jack Monroe #414 Catch Me If You (Tin) Can

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I saw the blue ticker/writer’s tweet. It was directed at Russ and Superstanskii. I would have loved it to be Jack but he is a Jack superstan. It why unfollowed him (I do like my own echochamber 😉)
Quoting myself like the absolute ninny I am but that blue ticker I was talking about 👆🏻may well be for turning. 🙃
D6AE0B33-307D-4C4D-B92E-D37D12276318.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 42
I think a big part of Jack's problem with money comes from her main character syndrome. She probably though getting her first book published would be like something out a movie where she ends up sitting by the pool in a big mansion on the back of her book sales whereas the situation for most writers is somewhat less lucrative. Instead of being grateful and making the best of what she did have she's filled with resentment at not having what she deludes herself she's entitled to. Also she's a twit.
She could have had a house now if she hadn’t spaffed every penny on stuff. And yes, I totally think she’s resentful that she doesn’t have the life she thinks she deserves. Pesky kid and his pesky dad meaning she’s trapped in stupid Essex.

She is riddled with self pity

• Heart
Reactions: 48
What English person would say white trash? Surely they'd say chav or other English words. This is like when American kids start speaking in a British accent after watching Peppa Pig
Yet again it reads more like something Jack would look at someone else and think, rather than something someone said to her. See also, “should have kept your legs closed”. She gives herself away so very often.

Here’s a charming (bullshit, fictional) moment in a pub beer garden among the great unwashed that Jack felt the need to share. Again, very transparently her true viewpoint and attitude is on display without her even realizing it. Thanks to @HotesTilaire for the screenie- and I’d really recommend going and reading about this in the thread too, as there’s more detail (including her obnoxious follow up comments) there. Link below

9FCA2A9B-F9EC-4E85-BECF-70C05C5552C9.jpeg

Starts here.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 53
The resale value of those trench coats is pretty consistent and there’s always demand for them.

Very much so-my sister sold her bought on sale Burberry jacket on eBay for more than she paid for it. There was a bidding war raging until it closed.

At that point, the investment piece leather jacket had not even been worn. How do I know this? Because in Feb 2020 Jack told us a long (bullshit filled) self absorbed story about buying it and the trench coat back in 2015 and that the leather had never been worn. Credit to @PineappleQueen19 who originally found this.

View attachment 1645350View attachment 1645351
Ah yes, the old ‘buying a jacket in the most expensive coat shop in the world despite having no idea of the cost, other than it’s likely to be nearly a grand if not more, just to teach a snarky shop assistant a lesson. I’m sure she took her commission/sales bonus and cried herself to sleep.
What English person would say white trash? Surely they'd say chav or other English words. This is like when American kids start speaking in a British accent after watching Peppa Pig
I love that because I used to get told off for talking in an Australian accent (Neighbours/Home & Away) and my kids all went through their ‘speaking in an American accent’ phase thanks to everything from Barney to Hannah Montana. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 35
that's what i was thinking - it's straight out of a movie!

it's just impossible to believe she's ever been in the position she claims she was. "i've known poverty so i'm going to spend thousands of pounds when i have it as an investment for lean times" - why wouldn't you just, idk, put the money in a savings account and save that for sometime you might need it? like everything she does it's this elaborate workaround to something that kind of almost makes sense if you squint and tilt your head just right, but is completely unnecessary if you just did the simple option in the first place. if you'd been barely scraping by and finally came into some money, your first instinct would not be to go blow it on something you'd have to hope you could find a buyer for in an emergency.

also if someone DID ask her if she knew "how much this is", it's probably because they didn't want her grubby unwashed paws all over something she wasn't going to buy.
Would anyone else maybe pay up their bills? If my income was in random unpredictable big chunks, the first thing I would do with a "book advance " is get housing, council tax, water and gas/elec paid for the year (or as much as possible of it) so the worry is out of the way. Maybe that's just how I think bc my dad worked contracts and might earn quite a lot for 3 or 6 months then have nothing for 6 months so security for the family home was #1 spend.

• Heart
Reactions: 52
Would anyone else maybe pay up their bills? If my income was in random unpredictable big chunks, the first thing I would do with a "book advance " is get housing, council tax, water and gas/elec paid for the year (or as much as possible of it) so the worry is out of the way. Maybe that's just how I think bc my dad worked contracts and might earn quite a lot for 3 or 6 months then have nothing for 6 months so security for the family home was #1 spend.
I’m self employed. I pay myself a (fairly miserly) monthly wage so that my income is constant. Not only does this make my life easier to manage, with a steady constant income, it also makes life much better for my son because he is not stressed about money. At the risk of repeating myself, she never ever puts his needs first. Imagine having your mum writing that she’s going to have to sell everything and move to a tiny flat and sleep in the living room when she just bought a really expensive dog?

She is a tit and abusive bleep of a parent

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 70
How old is she, 14? Reminds me of the *cute* stationery you would have/use at that age. At 34 it's embarrassing, not cute.
Yeah yet again more pathetic performative bollocks from Jack.

How can she spend so much time pissing about with everything merely to confirm to everyone that she’s an utter twit? It’s impressive.

The ‘call Marcus’ with a picture of a phone next to it is my aneurysm. Total cringe and utterly pathetic.

Still wondering what her next move is. Her return to Twitter hasn’t really worked out as she’d have hoped as she’s still being ridiculed by everyone, save for a few of her goons. I think we’re getting a relapse / rehab / major chaos imminently.

• Haha
Reactions: 43
Most writers would use their advance to pay the bills they racked up during the months of writing when they had no income. If they are going to blow their advance money on clothes they would probably buy some smart outfits they could wear to public readings, interviews, etc. Not a ridiculously overpriced overcoat that they'd take off as soon as they got inside, and that would be too warm to wear anywhere for a large part of the year.

Reactions: 42
Francesca Martinez is 100% a badass trailblazer. Jack could never.
I've only seen Francesca Martinez on Very British Problems. But she was amazing. So, JM appropriated her voice and words? Jesus what a pathetic little beast.

• Sad
Reactions: 29
I was just thinking the exact same thing!! I did this through uni with my loans-just got everything I could paid up to take the stress off-kids school trips/whatever-as a mature student with a job I could buy books and materials as I went along so that made more sense to me and took the pressure off.

Most writers would use their advance to pay the bills they racked up during the months of writing when they had no income. If they are going to blow their advance money on clothes they would probably buy some smart outfits they could wear to public readings, interviews, etc. Not a ridiculously overpriced overcoat that they'd take off as soon as they got inside, and that would be too warm to wear anywhere for a large part of the year.
Yes good point. I suppose real writers would treat that income like income-as in their wages and what they have to pay their bills with. Jack clearly thinks her gravy train will never arrive at a station and her income is for spaffing on luxury goods and then using other people’s money for the boring stuff.

Reactions: 31
Yet again it reads more like something Jack would look at someone else and think, rather than something someone said to her. See also, “should have kept your legs closed”. She gives herself away so very often.

Here’s a charming (bullshit, fictional) moment in a pub beer garden among the great unwashed that Jack felt the need to share. Again, very transparently her true viewpoint and attitude is on display without her even realizing it. Thanks to @HotesTilaire for the screenie- and I’d really recommend going and reading about this in the thread too, as there’s more detail (including her obnoxious follow up comments) there. Link below

View attachment 1645562
Starts here.
Isn't that exactly the kind of thing she claims people think/say about her all the freaking time? "I was JUDGED for being a young single mother! I was JUDGED for having tattoos and a boyish haircut! I was JUDGED for having my midriff out and my Cath Kidston backpack on!!!" But then she sits here judging someone, calling her a "little scrunge" and accusing her of stealing a wallet, like any middle class Karen out there.

(also how would the bank know that quickly the card had been 'fraudulently used'? isn't it usually up to you to identify suspicious charges on your bank statement, unless it's something mental like your card suddenly turning up in Mallorca when they know you're in London?)

• Heart
Reactions: 52
@Hope&Glory do you drive a taxi? Have you ever left a gift (eg soap?) on Jack’s doorstep? Do you have any school stories or Labour Party stories? Have you ever stopped Jack in the street to thank her for all she does? Do you think her oven is broken?
Asws in order: No, nooo, no, no, no never have never will & finally probably not!

Have you ever been shopping and witnessed your fellow townspeople reverently going up to Jack and thanking her for all she does like she's a Smart Price Don Corleone?
We have a special designated day every year to offer our gratitude when the poor & displaced of our town make pilgrimage to her door bearing gifts of soap & potatoes.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 55
It’s like she can’t understand that the book advance is just the book-writing income so you can afford to live while you write it, and not a gift or bonus or a lottery win or something. And of course she’s allowed to have nice things, but spending her money on stuff most of us will never be able to afford in a million years and then complaining she can’t afford rent is pretty insensitive 🙄

The lady in the shop asking her if she knew how much it costs sounds so unbelievable when she says it, but the till lady in Oxfam recently asked me
the same thing when I went to buy one of their £12.49 water bottles. I was a bit offended but apparently lots of people had been harassing the cashiers about the price when they got to the till ☹

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 47
Isn't that exactly the kind of thing she claims people think/say about her all the freaking time? "I was JUDGED for being a young single mother! I was JUDGED for having tattoos and a boyish haircut! I was JUDGED for having my midriff out and my Cath Kidston backpack on!!!" But then she sits here judging someone, calling her a "little scrunge" and accusing her of stealing a wallet, like any middle class Karen out there.

(also how would the bank know that quickly the card had been 'fraudulently used'? isn't it usually up to you to identify suspicious charges on your bank statement, unless it's something mental like your card suddenly turning up in Mallorca when they know you're in London?)
They have quite sophisticated algorithms these days, so they can catch stuff before you even realise - my data was stolen in the huge Ticketmaster data breach a few years ago and the first I knew of a problem was when I got a phonecall from the bank asking me if I'd just tried to buy £400 of food and booze on Deliveroo. I also have to put payments to debt collectors on my card sometimes for work and it always gets blocked and I have to phone them to authorise it. The fraud team said that is because my credit score is squeaky clean and there's no reason I'd be paying debt collectors.

Reactions: 33
I think it's all bollocks because you know, Jack but on the general point...

It depends on the bank and how it was used. If it was suddenly used for a lot of random web transactions in a short time, or a big one that wasn't like her, they might well have contacted her to ask her to verify the same way they would if you'd used it in London then someone used it five mins later in Mallorca.

In 2016 web is basically the only real option for fraudulent usage, unless she had her PIN scrawled in her wallet as well, because contactless was barely a thing then plus she claimed for ages she had a restricted account due to her CCJ and whatnot so even more unlikely she had it.

ETA: If she had had her PIN scrawled in her wallet in 2016 we'd never have heard the end of it because the bank would almost certainly have gone "Yeah. You didn't secure your PIN, your fault, money's gone - toooodles."

Last edited:
Reactions: 21
When did everyone else realise she's completely deranged? It was the practice run for moving to a one bed for me.

Eta: Looking back, there were a number of signs.
The night she started firing off dozens and dozens of tweets about different childhood comfort foods (she was probably trying to bury a chaos further down her timeline but dear god it was unending)

Starts about here and goes on for pages and pages:

...or maybe the for sale sign saga, that was a classic

• Haha
Reactions: 27
Have we seen the “good causes” box?
GFM central pot?View attachment 1645177

Personally I thought the mysterious white object on the bed looked like the canesten pessary plunger
I'm more than surprised she hasn't 'accidently' photographed a full wall plastered with Thank You cards from the eternally grateful poors she saved from actually starving to death over the years.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.