Jack Monroe #414 Catch Me If You (Tin) Can

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Someone on Twitter tweeted out a link earlier to the HeatherandJack store with a comment regarding the funds supposedly going to charity from some of the sales (obvs been reading Tattle). Anyway it reminded me of it so I went to look up the Streetreads charity which was the lucky recipient of multiple copies of Jack's debut slop manual. Or were they?

Streetreads was founded by Rachel Cowan in 2016 who started out with a trestle table piggybacking on soup kitchens and food stalls for homeless people. She wasn't running any kind of food or cooking project so unless there was a sudden spike in homeless people looking for slop manuals I'm not sure why they'd be asking for multiple copies. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/words-streets-meet-woman-who-9513549

Screenshot 2022-10-12 16.05.43.png

Jack claims on the site that a copy of her book will give people confidence and teach them a vital life skill. I'm not sure feeling confident that you're at least a better cook than Jack or knowing how not to cook are vital life skills, humanity seemed to muddle along well enough pre-Jack but there we are. She also claims that she will make no profit from this, would it be normal for a publisher to sell books to the author at full price rather than offer a discount, particularly when it's for a charity and could be good publicity for author and publisher alike?

In 2018 Streetreads joined up with The Simon Community to improve their reach. The Simon Community thanks a number of prominent supporters on their main page but no mention of Little Jack who has been sending slop manuals for years. Ungrateful bastards!

Screenshot 2022-10-12 16.11.19.png

They're mainly looking for money, though they will accept new books from publishers and authors. The reason for this is that they try to tailor the service to the people using it and it's a good tool for engagement to find out what people like to read and then try and source suitable books for them. It would have probably been better for Jack just to ask people to send the charity cashos direct but then that wouldn't have been as lucrative as getting people to buy books full price or helped her sales any. I'll add for anyone who didn't see the brief mentions of this a few threads back that we have never been told how many books were purchased beyond the initial ten that Jack bought herself. I've not been able to find any trace of Jack being thanked for her donations anywhere, which seems odd.

Last edited:
  • Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 67
Update as we've done quite a bit today.
What's this blue thing on top of the little oven?
I've seen about 10 different toasters, kettles and microwaves across the ages, "creator of the upcoming vimes boots index" indeed
Total: £72,889 £81,823
The new pair of boots she bought after wearing the taped together pair for a while on TV (despite having other pairs ...?)
Artificial snow
plastic flower headdress phase
Le Creuset
furniture and set dressing for the shed outside that she was going to turn into a studio
lawnmower
tents
Ten (at least) outdoor chairs for her Mormon tabernacle Amish prayer circle fellowship things
The hen with the rubber eggs for nesting hens?
dusty plastics string of pearls plant
laptops for 'team of staff'
squishy sofa
velvet sofabed
baskets, baskets everywhere
leather armchairs
calvin klein sportswear
nike pro sportswear
drinking glasses (content approved)
red teardrop drop hoop earrings
leather jackets
teeth whitening (maybe filter)
fake tan
'shoe obsession'
fancy crockery (shitloads)
high quality crystal clear food storage containers (shitloads)
food storage (shitloads, kilner jars etc.)
double monk shoes black
viv clobber
THAT BLOODY LAMP
watch with flowery strap
watch with chunky silver strap
guitar
Sarah Akwisombe evil eye necklace

Have fun.
Now duck off x

]
Nike Pro sportswear - leggings normally retails around £50, sports bra around £25-30. Vests £35-40

Calvin Klein leggings you can pick up from £25-50, sports bra around £25

Last edited:
Reactions: 15
Update as we've done quite a bit today.
What's this blue thing on top of the little oven?
I've seen about 10 different toasters, kettles and microwaves across the ages, "creator of the upcoming vimes boots index" indeed
This dish here is £4.50/5.50 depending on size. I know because I also have them 🔺

Attachments

Reactions: 17
Thank you for your services to stocking bathroom cabinets on the cheap. God bless you Ma’am
My proudest moment and the story that makes me sound very Jack was a lovely couple celebrating their 40th anniversary - their kids had paid for 2 nights in the tres posh hotel they’d lived near all their lives but could never afford to stay at. 1k a night style madness. Two fluffy robes, 2 pairs of slippers and a monogrammed hand towel. Get that in your case and Happy Anniversaire! ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 51
Either way, she claimed that she made these big purchases with book advances as investments, so she could flog them if ever skint again. So why then let your 'investment' piece become ruined through neglect? Probably because its bullshit and she doesn't want to admit she just likes expensive things, that's why.
Well that part at least is easily refutable bullshit. All in her very own words too.
When she was with Leggy in 2015 she dropped between £6,500-£7,000 on two Burberry coats; a beige trench coat and a leather jacket. The leather jacket is a pretty well known piece and was around a lot at the time; Britney Spears had one too. It was a Burberry Brit and cost about £5k. The trench coats cost over £1,500, even back then. This is the average trench coat/mac price today.

FDE41A56-0C64-4986-87E1-5B2FAE74AB8E.jpeg
The resale value of those trench coats is pretty consistent and there’s always demand for them. As for the leather jacket, even now, the resale value of her leather jacket WORN is over £1,500 and there is still demand for them. This is a high end legit designer resale website and is this year.

6E7F3B7B-3E27-4531-AC71-93A1734B7200.jpeg

All that to say, that’s quite the pair of investment pieces. Except she did not sell them when in 2017 she ‘came out as still skint’, had a massive rattle of the can, turning on her tip jar and starting her Patreon (this from the Wiki)
380A2D3C-97E7-45F7-A16F-6138283B01F8.jpeg

At that point, the investment piece leather jacket had not even been worn. How do I know this? Because in Feb 2020 Jack told us a long (bullshit filled) self absorbed story about buying it and the trench coat back in 2015 and that the leather had never been worn. Credit to @PineappleQueen19 who originally found this.

D40EE27A-3CE2-4883-8778-A34E567C2CDF.jpeg
06EDC4C7-CB41-41CE-8282-9A4D30783A8D.jpeg
844B1243-A8B5-4ED2-9CF6-AAF24CD861B2.jpeg
6E6BAE8C-1FE0-4231-87D3-C0747B3D0969.jpeg
B9E6D146-4417-4430-AB6F-0D73FFAA67D1.jpeg
1D6A0675-B6C5-4980-829C-C3A3BA7A3E37.jpeg
D1B40478-AE81-4CF8-A57D-5191522BE50D.jpeg
35F284D7-909B-49F9-B191-FAC69FFBB381.jpeg

She in fact had a rattle rattle beg the month before this
E5AA45FE-405A-4609-A260-EBD27CE4AA7C.jpeg
She also had another MASSIVE rattle of the can very shortly after this article was written in Feb 2020, very early in the pandemic when all her work dried up. (Thanks to Jenny numbers for this one)
652AC9DF-FD4B-4280-AB44-FC0F28E829F4.jpeg

(except it didn’t- DKL, Hellman’s etc etc anyone?!). Anyway, point being this was all when she was still sitting on a couple of grand’s worth of ‘Burberry investment’ to sell in lean times.

It’s an assumption, but she may well even still be sitting on that ‘lean times Burberry investment’, including when she was boiling soap in July 2022. And going a little too far with the rattling and begging… Never kind Jack, you can always sell the investments!

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 85
My friend was given a Mulberry bag when she first started work, 20 years ago. It's been in daily use since then, and it's still almost pristine. And if it did break, they offer a repair service. My Radley handbags have likewise survived years of abuse without straps breaking or anything else. One even shrugged off getting four pints of beer spilled on it at the cricket.
I think Jack is the type to not only mistreat her possessions, but also deliberately scuffs stuff up for that 'authentic working class vibe'.

Reactions: 35
Just to clarify, I wasn't calling anyone here a witch. The Cath Kitson reference is to this iconic JM moment, witches.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
Re the new haircut.

🔺️ in May I had the great idea to have my (once lovely) now thinning (post covid and meno) hair cut into a chin scraper bob. Fraus, I HATED it. From the first day I felt old fashioned, middle aged and frumpy in it and I'm 50!

I've been taking vitamins, using caffeine shampoo, massage, everything to desperately get it to grow a bit 😅 Its finally long enough to have a decent less frumpy cut. I can't wait for my appt on Friday to banish the haircut from hell forever 🙌

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 52
Well that part at least is easily refutable bullshit. All in her very own words too.
When she was with Leggy in 2015 she dropped between £6,500-£7,000 on two Burberry coats; a beige trench coat and a leather jacket. The leather jacket is a pretty well known piece and was around a lot at the time; Britney Spears had one too. It was a Burberry Brit and cost about £5k. The trench coats cost over £1,500, even back then. This is the average trench coat/mac price today.

View attachment 1645364The resale value of those trench coats is pretty consistent and there’s always demand for them. As for the leather jacket, even now, the resale value of her leather jacket WORN is over £1,500 and there is still demand for them. This is a high end legit designer resale website and is this year.

View attachment 1645340

All that to say, that’s quite the pair of investment pieces. Except she did not sell them when in 2017 she ‘came out as still skint’, had a massive rattle of the can, turning on her tip jar and starting her Patreon (this from the Wiki)
View attachment 1645384

At that point, the investment piece leather jacket had not even been worn. How do I know this? Because in Feb 2020 Jack told us a long (bullshit filled) self absorbed story about buying it and the trench coat back in 2015 and that the leather had never been worn. Credit to @PineappleQueen19 who originally found this.

View attachment 1645345View attachment 1645347View attachment 1645348View attachment 1645349View attachment 1645350View attachment 1645351View attachment 1645352View attachment 1645354
View attachment 1645404She also had another MASSIVE rattle of the can very shortly after this article was written in Feb 2020, very early in the pandemic when all her work dried up. (Thanks to Jenny numbers for this one)View attachment 1645409
(except it didn’t- DKL, Hellman’s etc etc anyone?!). Anyway, point being this was all when she was still sitting on a couple of grand’s worth of ‘Burberry investment’ to sell in lean times.

It’s an assumption, but she may well even still be sitting on that ‘lean times Burberry investment’, including when she was boiling soap in July 2022. And going a little too far with the rattling and begging… Never kind Jack, you can always sell the investments!
She really is a ridiculous person! Was this her pretty woman moment. She’s got nothing original

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 44
I’ve got one for the list - don’t forget she signed up for Sarah Akwisombe’s Money & Manifesting course (£200 I believe) and also bought the evil eye necklace from her shop (I can’t remember the price, but it was tat-tastic!)

@Hunsgraveyard can you remember?
Does that course explain why she stood like one of the actors and Prince George in Blackadder when she was doing DKL in her kitchen? PUBLIC SPEAKING CONFIDENCE
39DB38AF-E9D2-4E9B-B362-D0C5EF01CE30.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 57
She really is a ridiculous person! Was this her pretty woman moment. She’s got nothing original
that's what i was thinking - it's straight out of a movie!

it's just impossible to believe she's ever been in the position she claims she was. "i've known poverty so i'm going to spend thousands of pounds when i have it as an investment for lean times" - why wouldn't you just, idk, put the money in a savings account and save that for sometime you might need it? like everything she does it's this elaborate workaround to something that kind of almost makes sense if you squint and tilt your head just right, but is completely unnecessary if you just did the simple option in the first place. if you'd been barely scraping by and finally came into some money, your first instinct would not be to go blow it on something you'd have to hope you could find a buyer for in an emergency.

also if someone DID ask her if she knew "how much this is", it's probably because they didn't want her grubby unwashed paws all over something she wasn't going to buy.

• Heart
Reactions: 44

View attachment 1645364The resale value of those trench coats is pretty consistent and there’s always demand for them. As for the leather jacket, even now, the resale value of her leather jacket WORN is over £1,500 and there is still demand for them. This is a high end legit designer resale website and is this year.

View attachment 1645340

View attachment 1645384

View attachment 1645345View attachment 1645347View attachment 1645348View attachment 1645349View attachment 1645350View attachment 1645351View attachment 1645352View attachment 1645354
View attachment 1645404She also had another MASSIVE rattle of the can very shortly after this article was written in Feb 2020, very early in the pandemic when all her work dried up. (Thanks to Jenny numbers for this one)View attachment 1645409

I think we can see exactly why she ended up a bit skint (by her standards). She's just bloody awful with money, no-one who'd been poor and came into some cash would just splurge it away like that. Not at all.

The tin rattle in the middle there came in August though, not the January (UK date format), but still - we've never seen sign of her selling these investments when she's yet again brassic.

• Heart
Reactions: 48
Just to clarify, I wasn't calling anyone here a witch. The Cath Kitson reference is to this iconic JM moment, witches.

What English person would say white trash? Surely they'd say chav or other English words. This is like when American kids start speaking in a British accent after watching Peppa Pig

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 49

View attachment 1645340

View attachment 1645384

The thing that offends me most about all of this is that she calls herself a journalist. I know journalists, I know how hard they studied and how hard they worked at various small, local newspapers etc before getting their dream jobs.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 50
Holy bleeping tit. I think I must be having an aneurysm.
What lunatic who has allegedly experienced such awful poverty which left their son hungry and themselves having to resort to sex work, not to mention the debts it brought with it all, would then spend £800 of their first book advance ON A bleeping BAG?!!
How is she still not cancelled????!!!!!!! No one should ever take advice from this imbecilic charlatan.
It's not the only thing featured in that tweet without integrity, structural or otherwise.

• Haha
Reactions: 27
I think a big part of Jack's problem with money comes from her main character syndrome. She probably though getting her first book published would be like something out a movie where she ends up sitting by the pool in a big mansion on the back of her book sales whereas the situation for most writers is somewhat less lucrative. Instead of being grateful and making the best of what she did have she's filled with resentment at not having what she deludes herself she's entitled to. Also she's a twit.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 75
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.