Jack Monroe #413 The flying monkeys are more like limping chimpanzees these days

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She has spun a web of lies and deceit that has survived thus far because she has cannily been able to play people off against each other knowing full well there is nowhere that people can group to have the time and patience to see through the grift. Until now.
Also...people have been reluctant to see through the grift because they don't want to be perceived as attacking the poors. Or attacking people who live with autism, arthritis, ADHD, etc. Or attacking people who are raising kids on their own. Or attacking people who are transgender or lesbian.

Inadvertently or not, JM has ticked a lot of the boxes for oppressed identities - I don't mean that facetiously, because people who genuinely fall into those categories *are* oppressed - and identified herself with groups that will mobilize when they see one of their own being attacked. And that makes JM's claiming those identities even more odious, because she's not being attacked for being whatever identity she's wearing that day - she's being attacked for being a liar and a fraud. And she's taking attention and resources away from folks who genuinely are disadvantaged and could use help way more than she does.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 53
It’s virtually impossible to ‘make money’ from crafting. It’s supply hungry and time consuming. Then if you didn’t develop the pattern you’re not usually supposed to sell the item. Craft mags etc have copyright free patterns but then you’re making something anyone following the pattern could make. The only reason to pay you is because they want the thing desperately but don’t want to make it. In that instance most people will just go to a shop.
In order to make anything from art (unless you break through and be Emin) you have to do one thing really well and wear many chapeau in order to promote it and you. Workshops, teaching, making work, commissions, entering competitions, applying for arts funding, bid writing and the bank-breaking business of exhibiting at a craft show. Oh and galleries and gift shops will take up to 55% of your sale once you’ve paid all your insurances and expenses and tax if you make enough to pay any.
My degree was fine art but I struggled to finance my work (i did have a family and a job so they were priority) Even selling through gift shops at art galleries/museums brings you in hardly anything once you’ve provided all the display, packaging and the retailer has taken their cut. I was devastated for ages and felt like I’d wasted my chance at a better career. Went down loads of roads to stay in the creative industry but actually my job now in a social care setting allows me to use all my creativity and I just make work i want to for the heck of it and for family/friends/me. I do sell stuff occasionally but it’s mostly to commission so there’s no financial risk. I’m sure all of this was pointed out to her on FB at the time as it’s the age old thing.
I once costed a pair of hand-knitted slipper boots to make-fair isle type pattern in 7 colours. One colour was used so sparingly it was ridiculous. £8.99 a 50g ball. I think it was 12 balls plus I needed new needles in a size I didn’t have, plus the sheepskin sole and inner and strong thread for attaching. I think it came out at about £115.00 for yarn and bits. Now imagine I want paying for my time. Maybe 7 hours of solid knitting per slipper sock, maybe more with the fair isle. I want £20 per hour because that is skillz. That’s £280. £395 for a pair of jankily made slipper boots you can’t wash? 😂 I haven’t factored in packaging to send them or any marketing materials so you can see how a ‘turning your hobby into a side hustle’ could get complicated! 😂

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 73
2022-10-10 03_57_42-No, I Don’t Bloody Drive A Bloody Car. « A Girl Called Jack.png

2022-10-10 03_58_41-No, I Don’t Bloody Drive A Bloody Car. « A Girl Called Jack.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 55
Not sure why in May 2012 she needed to sign up to get a degree (or two) when as we all know, in March 2012 she already had one. This one in March must have been in something other than “Social Policy and Criminology alongside a BA(Hons) in PPE”, I suppose. :unsure:
5D768FE6-37E2-4B4F-B00C-CEEA82565B49.jpeg

Also, if she’s signed up to do “a degree” in Social Policy and Crim, what does the dozy dipshit think it is, other than a Bachelor’s degree like a “BA(Hons)” I see she’s always been terrific at researching her stories before posting her shite.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 63
I suspect the "Macebearer to the Mayoralty" has to have a car because (a) they have to attend lots of events, not all of them at sites served by reliable public transit [this would be true anywhere], and they also have to show up on time, and (b) ceremonial maces are *heavy*. They don't really lend themselves to smol pixies with disabling arthritis chucking them in an Aldi carrier bag and hauling them around.

I suspect the other reason why JM didn't get the Macebearer job is that she's an obnoxious attention-seeking twit that very few people would want to work with.

• Haha
Reactions: 65
For those of you softly, gently awakening and anxiously wondering if she’s going to post that pancake recipe in time for you to painstakingly make it for your own children’s breakfasts, perhaps while you wait, you can make your family her 4p Charity Twatbreads instead.

1D1E09C5-A555-4459-A94E-2CEE856963AE.jpeg

ETA, unless your parents are something like Boss Hell’s Angel outlaw bikers, or members of a bizarre cult which advocates of never letting your children read but encouraging them to shout at all times, how the duck do you “rebel in a quiet, bookish way”? She’s such a tit.

0AC3D8EE-1A86-4A96-8B67-BD207D54491F.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 46
I agree wholeheartedly with everything you say, but need to point out that her name is Jack, not Mel.
Back when she was originally in "poverty as she describes it" she was still Melissa. Jack came when she realised she could make money from people. And did.

• Wow
Reactions: 19
Someone should point out the difference between licence and license to her. Otherwise when such stories are published there's a real chance she'll look like a complete idiot.

• Haha
Reactions: 43
Jack's crappy bungalow must be wall to wall with Viv's garments.

She's bought 1 each time she's had a book out and found loads (in her size, how lucky) in a charity shop. Charity shop workers are pretty clued up about designers these days so even secondhand they would have cost her a decengt amount.

I'd love to know what mythical charity shop Jack frequents where you can get Farhi jackets for 50p; our local ones stick a £5 ticket on Primarni stuff.

When I was looking through her old FB account earlier there was a picture of her front room and she was tagging all the people who'd help furnish it. Spaniel Friend and another person were credited with providing her with a sofa (presumably not the Spite Sofa). The grifting has been going on for quite some time.

Edited to add another 'no tattoos on right arm' pic

View attachment 1638906
Spot the table in the background.....At least 4 chairs there, so possibly 8 in total done I can only see half of. Not bad at all, I'd love to have friends who help me get a table for 8 people to sit round....and there is a tattoo on the possible underside of her arm ....

Reactions: 23
Spot the table in the background.....At least 4 chairs there, so possibly 8 in total done I can only see half of. Not bad at all, I'd love to have friends who help me get a table for 8 people to sit round.. ....
I don't know where Jack is in that photo, but she's not at home.

• Haha
Reactions: 30
It’s virtually impossible to ‘make money’ from crafting. It’s supply hungry and time consuming. Then if you didn’t develop the pattern you’re not usually supposed to sell the item. Craft mags etc have copyright free patterns but then you’re making something anyone following the pattern could make. The only reason to pay you is because they want the thing desperately but don’t want to make it. In that instance most people will just go to a shop.
In order to make anything from art (unless you break through and be Emin) you have to do one thing really well and wear many chapeau in order to promote it and you. Workshops, teaching, making work, commissions, entering competitions, applying for arts funding, bid writing and the bank-breaking business of exhibiting at a craft show. Oh and galleries and gift shops will take up to 55% of your sale once you’ve paid all your insurances and expenses and tax if you make enough to pay any.
My degree was fine art but I struggled to finance my work (i did have a family and a job so they were priority) Even selling through gift shops at art galleries/museums brings you in hardly anything once you’ve provided all the display, packaging and the retailer has taken their cut. I was devastated for ages and felt like I’d wasted my chance at a better career. Went down loads of roads to stay in the creative industry but actually my job now in a social care setting allows me to use all my creativity and I just make work i want to for the heck of it and for family/friends/me. I do sell stuff occasionally but it’s mostly to commission so there’s no financial risk. I’m sure all of this was pointed out to her on FB at the time as it’s the age old thing.
I once costed a pair of hand-knitted slipper boots to make-fair isle type pattern in 7 colours. One colour was used so sparingly it was ridiculous. £8.99 a 50g ball. I think it was 12 balls plus I needed new needles in a size I didn’t have, plus the sheepskin sole and inner and strong thread for attaching. I think it came out at about £115.00 for yarn and bits. Now imagine I want paying for my time. Maybe 7 hours of solid knitting per slipper sock, maybe more with the fair isle. I want £20 per hour because that is skillz. That’s £280. £395 for a pair of jankily made slipper boots you can’t wash? 😂 I haven’t factored in packaging to send them or any marketing materials so you can see how a ‘turning your hobby into a side hustle’ could get complicated! 😂
You have just made my day before it even started. One, I love that you knit and create. I know it makes you zilch. But I love that you do it. My mum does the same and knitted me this amazing cardigan that I have on right now. I asked her to knit me another and I got a Look.
Two. She has created the most funniest family moments when things go wrong. We used to watch things together as a family, that's fine, until she dropped a stitch or made a mistake.
'PAUSE.' she would say, and still does. She's not dead - yet. (Dad says there are plans, mum says she's ahead of him).
My dad, startled by the demand but not unexpecting of it, would juggle the remote and pause the programme.
We'd sit there for a moment expecting that mum would just fix what was wrong.
Then we heard it, under her breath 'I'll need to take it back, missed a bleeping stitch.' Quiet for a moment. 'duck sake.' My mum never swore and still doesn't, unless she messes up a knitting pattern.
The other night I stayed until about midnight, but before that I was just sitting with my mum. We were watching a programme that she has on tape (Brokenwood?) and I was into it. Out of nowhere. 'I am pausing that! I'VE MADE A bleeping MISTAKE.' The programme went to pause and the language embarrassed me. I told her she'd make a sailor blush and she told me to 'try bleeping knitting when it's not for you'.

Fair enough.

(I know this isn't on topic as such - soz)

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 54
More ye olde bollox from yesteryore. 2013 article.
“Didn’t tell anyone she was hungry“ from November 2011 to at least December 2012. Even though in that time she told thousands of people including her parents and friends via her blog, by her own admission her mother came round with food, and they spent Christmas Day 2012 at her parents
View attachment 1638933

Took her “18 months to find work” and only then was she able to “feed herself and her son 3 meals a day again”. So from November until May/June 2013? Despite all the jobs (including bar work, a trainee reporter on her local newspaper etc etc all of which she LEFT- apart from the one that fired her for being too nice 😂 - and including the one she left to start her self employed craft business). Plus multiple columns and interviews etc.

View attachment 1638932
What I think she means by “took me 18 months to find work” is ‘work that suits my grandiose notions of what I’m entitled to’, because that’s when she got hired to write the weekly ‘Recipes for Life’ guardian column that lasted from July 2013 all the way through to April 2015 and commissioned to write her book.
View attachment 1638981
It’s also unbelievable (in the literal sense of the word) that she resigned from a £27,000 a year job in November 2011 but was in this level of dire straits by Christmas in the following month.
View attachment 1638957

It’s truly incredible that NOBODY in the media EVER did even a modicum of due diligence and research on this lying charlatan. No wonder her lurid pov tales have become increasingly wild and improbable over the years; she’s high on their ineptitude in letting her get away with it. Mateus mate, where are you?
Her old Instagram is littered with photos of food that she’d made/eaten or her in a pub/SB in a cafe during this period. Also a photos of her going with a friend to get tattooed. All in 2012.

Very sorry about the brown slop photo.

Attachments

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 37
Her old Instagram is littered with photos of food that she’d made/eaten or her in a pub/SB in a cafe during this period. Also a photos of her going with a friend to get tattooed. All in 2012.

Very sorry about the brown slop photo.
That second pic is not hers. It's too yummy. She lifted it. Otherwise, she just talks tit then and now.,

• Haha
Reactions: 22
If Jack had cared about fundraising for the Trussel Trust, she would have done it is a way where TT could have claimed GiftAid from UK taxpayers (tbf, not sure if you can claim GiftAid on sold items...).

Instead, she routed it through her own webshop to then donate the profits to the Trussel Trust (which I guess they could claim giftaid on as well, but that's up to Jack, so a big chance of missing out on all of the GiftAid if Jack forgets to allow the claim/doesn't allow it - as a UK taxpayer, hehehe).

Moreover, by routing it through her webshop Trussel Trust was not getting the opportunity of adding all the donors to their own contact list.
It also means she has to pay tax on it first so the charity loses that too.

• Sad
Reactions: 25
Yes, but as far as I can see, charities haven't done anything wrong. Jack's opacity with donations and possible frauds are on her, and the first step to raise a concern about a fundraiser are to contact the charity, not the Charity Commission. Should the Trussell Trust have distanced themselves from her sooner and more clearly? Absolutely. But they confirmed the receipt of the £11,000 which Jack claimed to have come from from Teemill sales, and since the other charities were never named by Jack we can't contact them to confirm any receipts for the sales after that £11K was paid.
I meant her claiming money is going to a disbanded charity, it is dishonest at the very least, if not outright fraud. It must be within the remit of ‘somebody'?

Reactions: 23
This woman is just ridiculous! Flip flopping amongst different career choices, proudly announcing them to the world, then never following through.

Pretty patronising is her implication that teaching is a nice cosy little job that can be fitted around single motherhood jUsT lIkE cRaFtInG! Yes Jack single mothers do teach but it’s one of the most difficult jobs in the world. You don’t finish when the school day finishes. You’re up until late marking and prepping. Plus, teaching requires empathy, perceptiveness and the ability to centre someone other than yourself. Er I don’t think it would’ve been for you love.

Plus, interesting line there about “I rebelled as a schoolgirl in a quiet bookish way”. I thought you smoked, drank, acted out and stole scalpels and took a knife to school, Jack. Vair quiet, much bookish.

This woman is a fraud, a flibbertigibbert and totally unreliable, no backbone or moral compass whatsoever.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 74
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.