Jack Monroe #412 Chiz on Tiz

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was listening to an american true crime podcast and they were talking about their upcoming UK tour, tallimg about UK food and randomly mentioned THAT MAN whom they all seemed to be aware of, not just his name but stuff he has done like school dinners etc. Jack would kill for that level of recognition.

I mainly shared this story here because we know Jack reads here and it will rustle her Thrupenny Crumbles :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 42
I was listening to an american true crime podcast and they were talking about their upcoming UK tour, tallimg about UK food and randomly mentioned THAT MAN whom they all seemed to be aware of, not just his name but stuff he has done like school dinners etc. Jack would kill for that level of recognition.

I mainly shared this story here because we know Jack reads here and it will rustle her Thrupenny Crumbles :ROFLMAO:
Now, now Jack recently featured on an American podcast too. More for being an embarrassing liar and all round grifter than a chef or campaigner but she is known overseas.

• Haha
Reactions: 52
2013 was apparently when she was stealing food and became a prostitute to survive. But she was working at the Southend Echo, and while junior reporter pay is tit, she should not have been that badly off. There would have been tax credits etc at the time. That was a great opportunity for her that she threw away.

Honestly nothing screams privilege like being able to quit your job and arse around with crafty stuff. I know some really talented craft people but they all have at least part time jobs to keep the money rolling in. It’s also an expensive undertaking, with a big investment in tools and materials.
She will have been entitled to free nursery hours by then as well. And an involved dad. If she’d got an ordinary job there would have been enough to get herself on her feet.
There would have been funding for training for someone unemployed with poor GCSEs and free childcare.

Reactions: 39
She will have been entitled to free nursery hours by then as well. And an involved dad. If she’d got an ordinary job there would have been enough to get herself on her feet.
There would have been funding for training for someone unemployed with poor GCSEs and free childcare.
Makes you wonder how much of the back story is either lies or driven by her own middle class upbringing and sense of entitlement.

Seems she never wanted a real job ever and went from thing to thing until she managed to find a thing that made her a living without much effort.
Plead poverty, cook slop, write nonsense = get cash.

No poor person I know or anyone I live near got a job at newspaper after quitting fire service and several other jobs. Someone has hand in getting her hired at various places.

Reactions: 39
So I was looking for Jack receipts for this sentence she apparently wrote about her grandad "he was a swarthy gorgeous bastard of a man with a filthy laugh" but I cannot find it at all. Not in any articles or old blog posts unless it got deleted. It was however mentioned in an early Jack thread on here, twice by the same member. So now I'm not sure if it is a real Jack quote. I wanted to know what the context was and if anyone pointed out the potential offensive nature of 'swarthy'.
Can any wiser Frays remember if that is a real Jack quote?
No idea but it made my face do this:

• Haha
Reactions: 22
I'm currently looking for something Grandad of Jack related.
Found an interesting link.

Also the greengage jam paints a disgustingly vivid picture of the state of his guesthouse.
View attachment 1632598
You could have spoilered the cheap w** h** mention 🤮

• Haha
Reactions: 20
I haven’t caused enough upset today so here’s some squig slop
View attachment 1632707
View attachment 1632708
Apologies for the crappy picture, my room is rather cave like, but wtf have they done to the pasta? It looks far worse than Jack's. I did used to make this semi regularly, not realising until I joined the canal, that I'd been entirely ignoring most of Jack's instructions (turn the pasta down. Wtf?)

Anyway, one grandad was a spy, and I can't 🔺 to save my life. The other taught welding, and it's safest for everyone that the closest I've ever been to that was the husband, who was a welder/fabricator
IMG20221007204737.jpg

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 25
Anyone find it hilarious that a decade of pretending to be relentlessly hounded has resulted in her being relentlessly hounded but by people taking the piss out of her 🤣🤣🤣 She must be on the verge of spontaneous combustion by now 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 42
"Too little bacon or too little brie" will absolutely affect the outcome of a carbonara-style sauce. Does she not understand how emulsions work? Proportions are important in some recipes.

Reactions: 46
"Too little bacon or too little brie" will absolutely affect the outcome of a carbonara-style sauce. Does she not understand how emulsions work? Proportions are important in some recipes.
Dear heart, she doesn’t understand how food works

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 67
Apologies for the crappy picture, my room is rather cave like, but wtf have they done to the pasta? It looks far worse than Jack's. I did used to make this semi regularly, not realising until I joined the canal, that I'd been entirely ignoring most of Jack's instructions (turn the pasta down. Wtf?)

Anyway, one grandad was a spy, and I can't 🔺 to save my life. The other taught welding, and it's safest for everyone that the closest I've ever been to that was the husband, who was a welder/fabricator
View attachment 1632825
It’s funny how many people tagging Jack in their food posts say that they ‘adapted’ the recipe 😂

ETA it’s a minor point, but I don’t think I’ve seen ‘value Brie’? I have seen very cheap hard cheese though (eg Creamfields at Tesco) surely hard cheese lasts longer too?

• Haha
Reactions: 27
  • Sick
Reactions: 10
Wh
Surprised to see Jack say her family weren't poor in the Edwina tantrum article. What of the parents having to skip dinner because they couldn't afford food for themselves and most heartbreaking of all Big Dave hitchhiking in his humiliating trousers?

View attachment 1632736
what about the trips to the lemon groves in Cyprus etc?

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Grunking through last thread, and just came across the majesterial post from @Witchfinder Sargeant:
"She doesn't understand food and how flavours work together, and she's cooking down to a price point, not up to a standard."

This is a perfect summary of what's wrong with all the recipes.

You know the crap celebrity endorsement quotes on the back of cookbooks....I think the Thrify Kitchen strapline should be
"she's cooking down to a price point, not up to a standard." -Witchfinder Sargeant'.
BIB needs reposting later in the thread, because it’s calling out to be a thread title!

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Bread and Jam was never intended to be an extra income stream though. She quit a job (retail IIRC) to start it - not even testing the waters by doing it on the side for a while first.

2012 employment off the top of my head, although I'm sure I posted the receipts somewhere:

Nov '11: quits fire service
spring '12: gets job in bar/cafe. Quits about a month(?) later
later spring '12: gets another job. Fired after a week
summer '12: no paid employment but lots of volunteering
autumn '12: gets job, I think retail. Quits after 1 - 2 months to become full-time crafter.
around the same time: starts writing weekly column for the Southend Echo (quite poorly paid - she didn't start working there as a full-time reporter until early '13. Then she quit that 6 months later.)

It's amazing how much of the Poverty was just Jack being too lazy to stick to a job.

She was also - and I say this as a sewing frau - trying to sell handmade clothes, while being unable to sew for tit. This is not just a little bad, this is horrendous:

View attachment 1632407

I actually think her sewing may be worse than her cooking?

PS @Valiofthedolls when you get to the one about how she doesn't need to be on a 10£ budget but she sticks to it because it's so much fun, and she and SB are healthy and chubby etc, you're in for a treat. Those old blogs are a goldmine.
Mmmmm I agree the more you dig into the Time of the POV, the more you realise it wasn’t a Pov at all. Just the financial shock that any new semi single parent would get.

It’s also obvious that she really has a terrible employment history. Being unable to stick / getting fired from 3 jobs on the trot is dreadful and suggests a really poor attitude and work ethic. Big Dave did her a massive favour getting her into the FS and she clearly threw that back in his face too.

I suspect a serious attitude problem, overinflated ego combined with a minimum of competency and a stubborn refusal to engage with reality have defined Jack since her teens. I wouldn’t wanna employ her either.

• Heart
Reactions: 60
Showed the mystery dinner game to eldest child - he squinted at brown slice and quite innocently said " Is that a prune?"

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.