Jack Monroe #408 All those blue ticks holding her up like Simba

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There's people on Fiverr.com who'll do this kind of semi automation and bot deployment for very little money. Ironically for a so called ethical person like Jack Monroe, many of them are based in poverty ridden places like Bangalore.
But it's OK for Jack to exploit foreign poor people because she's one of them. Poor, that is. And foreign, too, what with being nearly an immigrant. Or, she might just be a superior sort of person who deserves the best in life regardless of provenance and exploitation. /s/

Reactions: 26
According to my notes (I was live texting my reaction to my IRL Frau friend) the mention of mackerel was for mackerel and veg risotto which I just Googled to check if my horrifying mental image was correct and I see that she made it using.....microwave wholegrain basmati and quinoa.....the only source of potential creaminess would be the mushroom flavour cup-a-soup.

Also according to my notes (aneurysm documentation) another suggestion was make bolognese, and then the next day add herb and spices so it becomes goulash (does it?!) and then the next add chocolate and cumin to that so it becomes chilli (DOES IT?!?!)
How on earth does the “ten minute mackerel end (sp!) mushroom risotto” that includes cup-a-soup and mackerel taste “like the real thing”? I have no idea what “real thing” she’s alluding to here, but it’s DEFINITELY not risotto.

Sounds more like “the real thing” is the contents of that big 1970s school dinners leftovers bin that all the most inedible stuff got scraped into by hundreds of little children.

• Haha
Reactions: 40
According to my notes (I was live texting my reaction to my IRL Frau friend) the mention of mackerel was for mackerel and veg risotto which I just Googled to check if my horrifying mental image was correct and I see that she made it using.....microwave wholegrain basmati and quinoa.....the only source of potential creaminess would be the mushroom flavour cup-a-soup.

Also according to my notes (aneurysm documentation) another suggestion was make bolognese, and then the next day add herb and spices so it becomes goulash (does it?!) and then the next add chocolate and cumin to that so it becomes chilli (DOES IT?!?!)
Aside from the flavour/recipe crap, this method as J describes it = reheating the food several times which is energy wasted as well as potential illness. Whereas the method everyone already uses (eyeroll) is cooking a base of meat*/onion/garlic/tomato then dividing it into various versions = reheat each portion once as you go.

Reactions: 34
Just listened again to the BBC Radio Scotland thing and I think a couple of things were maybe misheard in real time.
I didn’t hear mention of monkfish at the time and I wanted to check that. She did, however, mention tinned mackerel. (Please, I do lose concentration very easily so I’m happy to be corrected!)
I believe that was me yesterday that first bought up the monkfish (not in the vomit sense of the word). I was referring a bit vaguely to her stock cupboard inventory before a £20 shop she did, back in April or so: (pics from the same day, but stocktake came first. The TRAUMA)

Attachments

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 27

This is a crime against food. Someone call the onion police!!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
Around 2:33:30 for me? Wow, soooooo nasal. Gross, especially compared with the soothing, dulcet crystal clear accent of the host.
Haha, I'm such an idiot. I was reading the length of the podcast rather than the time. Maybe I should say I'm TIRED and do a flounce?
🤦‍♀️😅

Edit: It's not really a podcast either, I don't think? Double chaos.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
I believe that was me yesterday that first bought up the monkfish (not in the vomit sense of the word). I was referring a bit vaguely to her stock cupboard inventory before a £20 shop she did, back in April or so: (pics from the same day, but stocktake came first. The TRAUMA)
Why does she make such a bleeping drama out of a top up shop? And why is she having to go 5 times round the supermarket if she’s got a list?
Make it make sense.

• Haha
Reactions: 52
It’s just one little lie amongst the teeming sea of lies, but the idea that she rents a house worth £850k for just £1500 a month has long bugged me. Only one of those figures can be true.

Last year we were renting a not great but not fully crappy 4 bed house in NE England in a very convenient and popular with young families type of area. The house was bought in 2007 for £238k. If sold now I reckon it’d get about £350/375k and the landlord was advertising it for £1500pcm. We knocked him down to £1300 but the tenants after us deffo paid at least £1500.

So I did a bit of forensic Right Moving. Receipts and caveats are spoileres but TL;DR Jimmy Nail.

caveats:
1) I have never been to Southend. I’m not trying to guess where Jack lives or doxx her. I genuinely have no idea where she lives beyond it being inThorpe Bay. If this is a 🔺 too far, please say and I’ll delete
2) IIRC, Jack has been in the crappy bungalow 4 or 5 years. Both rental and sales markets have changed hugely in that time, so it may be that £1500 is 2017 prices and £850k is 2022 prices, but still.

The search criteria was initially Thorpe Bay, 3+ bedrooms, £1250-£2000 pcm, no house type (eg flat/house/bungalow) specified. This only brought up 2 hits so I removed the price criteria completely. Still only 3 3+bed properties to rent in all of Thorpe Bay (In my area you’d get hundreds of hits so this strikes me as weird, but maybe TB is not a renty type of place or it’s really small)

All 3 are perfectly lovely and not in any way crappy. I’d be happy to live in any of them if we could afford it. Attached are the three properties with the recent sold prices in the same street overlaid. All cost over £1500pcm to rent and would fetch waaaaay less than £850k to buy.

What’s going on there then? 🤔 Personally I reckon that the crappy bungalow or the house house she wants is around the 850 mark and she currently pays A LOT more than £1500 rent. That may be her share and LJC is still paying the rest?

A6381546-90B1-4CC4-B8EA-EE3F497170DF.jpeg

183892B9-67A0-40D5-B0A3-E5A575C44B6D.jpeg
DE12C12E-B9E5-44B4-AA95-488BC9BCDEBA.jpeg

279ABAF6-C358-460B-AE84-858F09FDD31A.jpeg
9032A154-EDFF-468E-86C7-1EF694193DAA.jpeg

in this street some houses have been split into flats so relevant sales Comparisons go over 2 pages.
45ABE885-F96B-45C3-9489-8B49AB536611.jpeg
D30C0154-0622-4249-80F1-48DE13571A5F.jpeg

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 50
Oh yes, as per the BBC Radio Scotland thing again...I also meant to also mention that her food safety knowledge appears to be, ummm, somewhat lacking if she’s often heating the same base of slop up over the course of several days/a week and flinging in the odd square of chocolate, herbs, bin scrapings etc as the mood takes her.

Honestly, I’m done with this absolute charlatan.

• Sick
Reactions: 55
It’s just one little lie amongst the teeming sea of lies, but the idea that she rents a house worth £850k for just £1500 a month has long bugged me. Only one of those figures can be true.

Last year we were renting a not great but not fully crappy 4 bed house in NE England in a very convenient and popular with young families type of area. The house was bought in 2007 for £238k. If sold now I reckon it’d get about £350/375k and the landlord was advertising it for £1500pcm. We knocked him down to £1300 but the tenants after us deffo paid at least £1500.

So I did a bit of forensic Right Moving. Receipts and caveats are spoileres but TL;DR Jimmy Nail.

caveats:
1) I have never been to Southend. I’m not trying to guess where Jack lives or doxx her. I genuinely have no idea where she lives beyond it being inThorpe Bay. If this is a 🔺 too far, please say and I’ll delete
2) IIRC, Jack has been in the crappy bungalow 4 or 5 years. Both rental and sales markets have changed hugely in that time, so it may be that £1500 is 2017 prices and £850k is 2022 prices, but still.

The search criteria was initially Thorpe Bay, 3+ bedrooms, £1250-£2000 pcm, no house type (eg flat/house/bungalow) specified. This only brought up 2 hits so I removed the price criteria completely. Still only 3 3+bed properties to rent in all of Thorpe Bay (In my area you’d get hundreds of hits so this strikes me as weird, but maybe TB is not a renty type of place or it’s really small)

All 3 are perfectly lovely and not in any way crappy. I’d be happy to live in any of them if we could afford it. Attached are the three properties with the recent sold prices in the same street overlaid. All cost over £1500pcm to rent and would fetch waaaaay less than £850k to buy.

What’s going on there then? 🤔 Personally I reckon that the crappy bungalow or the house house she wants is around the 850 mark and she currently pays A LOT more than £1500 rent. That may be her share and LJC is still paying the rest?

View attachment 1615928
View attachment 1615929View attachment 1615930
View attachment 1615931View attachment 1615932

in this street some houses have been split into flats so relevant sales Comparisons go over 2 pages.
View attachment 1615933View attachment 1615934
I had assumed the same - that the £1500 was merely her share of the rent, and that the total was more like £3000.

But if you search for "let agreed" 3 bed detached bungalows to rent in her area, the ones that come up are all around £1700 or £1800 - so actually £1500/month for a tenancy that was first agreed a few years ago doesn't actually seem to be completely unreasonable.

It does feel insanely cheap to me, but I'm used to paying London rents. I can't understand why she moans about it, given what she's earning!

Reactions: 40

caveats:

View attachment 1615928
View attachment 1615929View attachment 1615930
View attachment 1615931View attachment 1615932

View attachment 1615933View attachment 1615934
Possibly. I think she moved in just before Covid, when the rental market went absolutely crazy. Coastal areas are in much, much higher demand now because of WFH, and a lot of landlords cashed in by selling their properties, leading to scarcity and higher rents. She probably got extremely lucky and got the place at the 1500-1600 mark that she claims, and perhaps her landlady hasn’t realised she’s paying below average rent.

Reactions: 24
Afternoon all 😁
This popped up on my Twitter earlier, and for some reason, I thought of Jack. The only thing that would make her happy is if there was £100k in cash in the box 4 x McPlants and some 1gJ. Toys? Nah she's got a drawer full. What else could go in the maccys/jaccys box? Her personality? Rusty spoons?
😁

Screenshot_20220930-143002_Twitter.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Been lurking since AM popped up on twitter with the timeline of chaos, so it's about time I popped my plum and said hello. Mainly to keep track of what replies I haven't read yet, partly to call out JM's interminable bullshit. HELLO.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 92
In all honesty I don't think the Sunday Woman article is very good. It's poorly written and focuses more on having a dig at Jack than focusing on the facts. I'm a little disappointed. Molly did a much better job.
It isn’t is it. And after she gave us her personal origin story (studying at night and living through poverty to pursue her dream of writing for a living) I feel terrible for her that she’s not a better writer.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 44
Possibly. I think she moved in just before Covid, when the rental market went absolutely crazy. Coastal areas are in much, much higher demand now because of WFH, and a lot of landlords cashed in by selling their properties, leading to scarcity and higher rents. She probably got extremely lucky and got the place at the 1500-1600 mark that she claims, and perhaps her landlady hasn’t realised she’s paying below average rent.
Can you imagine being the land lady, all her decorating and humping furniture around plus knowing if try and kick her out for bouncing rent you’ll have half a million deranged squibs hounding you for leaving SB shivering in a bus stop. Bet the place will need fumigation for fleas.

• Haha
Reactions: 36
PSA for newer fraus, I think I've cracked efficient searching for topics (on my PC), but if anyone has a better way please please let me know!

Hit SEARCH on the top right of the screen, then ADVANCED SEARCH
From the blue bar options above the search fields click SEARCH THREADS
Put your search term e.g. "LBC" or "Costwold Company" in KEYWORDS
Scroll down the fields to SEARCH IN FORUMS and select BLOGGERS (I can't see any way of narrowing it down further to just Jack, but most search terms are very Jack-specific anyway)
Under this are the ORDER BY fields - select DATE so you can easily see chaos kick-off vs subsequent hilarity, then hit SEARCH

This does not compare to the machine-like glorious mental filing and recall of the onlie begetters of this canal, but it does help.

Go well x

• Heart
Reactions: 43
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.