Jack Monroe #40 Implies David Walliams takes coke, jumps bandwagons to stay woke.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Children handed new reading 'unsuitable' stuff since... well, since they could.

As a kid I loved Roald Dahl, Enid Blyton etc

As a teen I devoured Jackie Collins and other assorted blockbusters. I also read a lot of gruesome true crime stuff.

Now I'm far from perfect but I'm definitely not a) racist b) a murderer c) a Hollywood megastar with a scandalous past.
Same!! I’m sure very inappropriate, but I was doing things like reading my mum’s cosmopolitan mags from about 8, and since getting older have gone through just about every evil dictator’s biographies and manifestos. I used to read whatever I could get my hands on, pretty much. I read Stephen King’s Misery at about 8-9, and watched every inappropriate film going. I’m as liberal as it gets, and not a murderer, a stalker, or a sex pest. I do get why we shouldn’t let kids read vile stuff, but unpalatable characters should be discussed, not censored. Even now, I can read very current books with my kids, and sometimes feel the need to explain a characters behaviour. No books have only pure and lovely characters in them. You have to encourage critical thinking skills, that’s one of your main jobs as a parent, not running around removing everything problematic.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
Out of interest, did anyone see the Instagram post about Bridget Jones never being overweight and the books fostering some horrifying ideas about weight?

I was really tall as a young teen and I read the BJ books when I was about 12 or 13, and I remember being totally mortified that she monitors her weight constantly and it was always lower than mine - I was probably about 11 stone and at the time I never considered that I was 5foot8 with size 8 feet and a dancer and sporty, so obviously I'd weigh more. I just thought I was utterly enormous and promptly descended into anorexia, which then began a cycle of binge and restrict from which I've never escaped, even two decades on

At the same time, I read a LOT of Enid Blyton as a younger child and I don't seem to have acquired virulently racist beliefs from it, because my mum was always careful to educate me about cases like Stephen Lawrence which were current at the time. So while I do think it's important for parents to monitor what their child consumes, I think it's far more important that this is in relation to themselves and their self-image. If social issues are brought up, then they can be used to start discussion between parent and child. But content which affects the child's sense of self is really what needs to be confronted.
Omg, me too. I read her columns and added it to the top of my diary too. Still would if I kept one. Also, yes, the fact that she wasn’t even bloody fat.

I read all of my older siblings books, Stephen King, Ken Follett, bloody Sharpe! I didn’t go and stab french people because of it.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
Children have been reading 'unsuitable' stuff since... well, since they could.

As a kid I loved Roald Dahl, Enid Blyton etc

As a teen I devoured Jackie Collins and other assorted blockbusters. I also read a lot of gruesome true crime stuff.

Now I'm far from perfect but I'm definitely not a) racist b) a murderer c) a Hollywood megastar with a scandalous past.

(eta cos did some words wrong)
absolutely this. Although I slightly regret my obsession with point horror. No literary merit whatsoever.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
I remember reading one of my mum's Jilly Cooper's when I was still a pre-teen. I was scandalised at the time, but now I guess it'd be pretty tame. Never could quite look at Polo the same way, though.... that Rupert, what a cad!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
I devoured Enid Blyton as a kid but my only take home messages was wondering why all the girls were called "Fanny" and that I wish I could have a midnight feast with gingerbeer! I remember seeing illustrations of Golliw*** but my Mum pointing out these were bad and unacceptable today.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
Wtf? Did it just creep up on her one day unannounced or something?
3BE0A579-D6E1-4745-81E0-5C624E0AE0EF.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 34
I’m so confused, I don’t know who I am anymore. Normally hate the daily Mail commenters, now feeling a deep affinity with them. Am I a daily mail person? What is life? Gah 😖

• Haha
Reactions: 41
Same!! I’m sure very inappropriate, but I was doing things like reading my mum’s cosmopolitan mags from about 8, and since getting older have gone through just about every evil dictator’s biographies and manifestos. I used to read whatever I could get my hands on, pretty much. I read Stephen King’s Misery at about 8-9, and watched every inappropriate film going. I’m as liberal as it gets, and not a murderer, a stalker, or a sex pest. I do get why we shouldn’t let kids read vile stuff, but unpalatable characters should be discussed, not censored. Even now, I can read very current books with my kids, and sometimes feel the need to explain a characters behaviour. No books have only pure and lovely characters in them. You have to encourage critical thinking skills, that’s one of your main jobs as a parent, not running around removing everything problematic.
Exactly this! It's about context and critical thinking. You can't sanitise everything.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I haven’t ever recovered from reading The Amityville Horror when I was 12. I still think about it if I’m alone in the house sometimes....

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
Grunkaing, open mouthed (Standard Operating Procedure)
How can there be 19 pages since 2:24 - what am I going to find?!????

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Although I haven’t ever recovered from reading The Amityville Horror when I was 12. I still think about it if I’m alone in the house sometimes....
The demonic pig and glowing red eyes at the window - guaranteed to be one of the first five things I panic about if I wake up suddenly at 3am!

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.