Jack Monroe #399 Catastrophically embarrassing

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
All of this says to me the problem is not money. They do. They offer you the chance to settle at half the debt, especially once they have sold it on to a debt collector, they are happy to get back pennies in the pound. I think we have been grossly underestimating how much money she has been using, and the failure to file the paperwork for the ltd company, the CCJs, they all say to me chaos on twitter is the least of it and chaos in real life is about something else. You can incorporate a company for a tenner and maintaining a company structure isnt hard, and those people if they have a sniff of a payment arrangement will take it rather than waste money on court fees.
That's very much been my experience and even with clients who had been advised they'd be better considering bankruptcy but didn't want to do so, I've been honestly amazed at some of the offers accepted and even full or partial write offs we were able to get for people. So a modest CCJ shouldn't present much of an issue to Jack and would be easily negotiated.

No proof, so just speculating based on the timing of absolutely insane online behaviour but I think there is still an active substance abuse issue and a long standing, unaddressed problem with compulsive spending. All of which adds up to total financial chaos, even on a pretty decent income.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 47
This is very grown up. I’ve tried to do it a couple of times but always end up over spending. I need the thrilling *edge of overdraft* feeling to keep me in check. I do have savings though. It’s the money I save having graduated from therapy a couple of years ago. Everyone cheered and there was a medal ceremony.
It's only since I met my husband and his (actual diagnosed) autism means he has an excel spreadsheet for everything 🤣

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 28
That make up was serioous. My daughter loves that stuff. Urban decay, all those brands. Every one of those lipsticsk will have been between 10 and 25quid. An eye shadow palette in that bracket is like 30=80, and if you go up to Pat McGrath a couple of hundred. I actually have a lot of time for the products she is into, they are often very good quality products but that lipstick stash alone is a lot of money. And the online make up community is about companies pushing a constant renewal of products, its good for addictive spenders. See also the Vivienne Westwood. That's a LOT of Vivienne Westwood.

• Heart
Reactions: 33
Yes I pay everything on credit card. Pay it off in full each month and have savings.
I think there is an issue with financial misuse/literacy

There is nothing wrong with having credit cards and paying off in full and these are actually good for your credit file

however the problem is if people are donating to Jack or buying other things on their cards to their own detriment then that would be a problem (I’m not saying this has happened btw)

it really does come down to the usage of the cards.

Reactions: 20
That make up was serioous. My daughter loves that stuff. Urban decay, all those brands. Every one of those lipsticsk will have been between 10 and 25quid. An eye shadow palette in that bracket is like 30=80, and if you go up to Pat McGrath a couple of hundred. I actually have a lot of time for the products she is into, they are often very good quality products but that lipstick stash alone is a lot of money. And the online make up community is about companies pushing a constant renewal of products, its good for addictive spenders. See also the Vivienne Westwood. That's a LOT of Vivienne Westwood.
Bear in mind for lipstick and mascara particularly you need to be replacing every 3-6 months (ideally 3 but yanno) and most other facial cosmetics every 12m. At best they will start to smell or not perform as expected, and at worst they will give you infections.
Edit: my point is, either Jack's throwing good money after bad on a quarterly basis or she's a clarty bastard. Or a bit of both.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
I think there is an issue with financial misuse/literacy

There is nothing wrong with having credit cards and paying off in full and these are actually good for your credit file

however the problem is if people are donating to Jack or buying other things on their cards to their own detriment then that would be a problem (I’m not saying this has happened btw)

it really does come down to the usage of the cards.
Yes. And this was my original point/post from the donation OBO AM tweet that I think started all the 'I pay on my CC and pay it off in full and have no debt' that then came from it.

I just don't get the whole, 'well done for writing a thing', here's £20. CC or DC or whatever.

People are chucking money at strangers on the Internet. If the money this particular squig has just got back from her amazon refund is what she's then flung it at AM then that's quite interesting and a bit of 'karma'. BUT didn't she say it was money she couldn't well afford at some point?

I just don't understand people reading something online and feeling they want/need to make a donation.

• Wow
Reactions: 21
Bear in mind for lipstick and mascara particularly you need to be replacing every 3-6 months (ideally 3 but yanno) and most other facial cosmetics every 12m. At best they will start to smell or not perform as expected, and at worst they will give you infections.

Well if poor Jack has to replace all that every three months, then thats not her fault!lol I'll be honest htough I actually do think those products are really excellent, often.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
By setting her Twitter so only people she follows can reply to her, I think Jack has actually inadvertently caused more people to quote-tweet her than would otherwise do so, because it's the only way to say anything negative about her. This then leads to more people seeing and replying to said quote-tweets than would do if they were just direct replies to Jack... If that makes sense.

Basically I think she's possibly actually getting more negative attention than she would otherwise, because her detractors have to post their views so they're visible by all of Twitter.

Last edited:
Reactions: 67
I don’t know why I’ve never looked before but have you seen the price of the Georgia Church Suppers book?! (Still my favourite chaos.)
That's very strange, someone bought the last paperback yesterday at £14.35.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 41
By setting her Twitter so only people she follows to can reply, I think Jack has actually inadvertently caused more people to quote-tweet her than would otherwise do so, because it's the only way to say anything negative about her. This then leads to more people seeing and replying to said quote-tweets than would do if they were just direct replies to Jack... If that makes sense.

Basically I think she's possibly actually getting more negative attention than she would otherwise, because her detractors have to post their views so they're visible by all of Twitter.
Yep, and there’s no QT Jack leaves on read…

Reactions: 19
Ooh That Man up in Jack's niche with frozen spinach from those special freezer bags where the fishos were last seen.

• Haha
Reactions: 24
By setting her Twitter so only people she follows can reply to her, I think Jack has actually inadvertently caused more people to quote-tweet her than would otherwise do so, because it's the only way to say anything negative about her. This then leads to more people seeing and replying to said quote-tweets than would do if they were just direct replies to Jack... If that makes sense.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 31

I think she actually does this on purpose. She admitted to baiting people yesterday. She wants abuse because people give her money for it.

Reactions: 39
I mean if you‘re talking an average of a tenner a lipstick, a couple of years back, she had a grand of lipstick and probably the same of other products. Even assuming the make up addiction has been overtaken by something else, she still must spend £££.

I remain baffled by the squigs who say ‘yes, but she does so much good!’ If anyone ever asks them what she does, they ignore and block. It’s like the cult of Jack. Do not question Jack. Attack anyone who questions Jack. Above all, remain loyal to Jack and … not sure what they think their reward will be?
Obviously the thirsty blokes are obvious but what about the others? What are they hoping for? A thank you and acknowledgment from someone who is on the telly occasionally?

When you read some of those quote tweets that’s all some of them want. A reply from a Z lister.

It’s really sad.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
That's very strange, someone bought the last paperback yesterday at £14.35.
Maybe everyone checking it out in recent days (time has lost all meaning but I know I had a look for it too) has driven the price up. Although that is a huge amount. It was definitely £14 something when I last looked.

Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.