Jack Monroe #380 Hunger Hurts 2: Solar Lantern Boogaloo

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My read of the Jack grammar school situation is that she arrived in year 9 full of her own importance and assured of her utter beauty and brilliance and then just couldn’t hack it. Which doesn’t surprise me as she has a bad attitude and doesn’t like to be told. This led to some sort of breakdown and then rebellion and she’s basically been doing that ever since. She feels she can’t live up to her (very admirable) parents so has decided to make it her life’s work to embarrass them instead. And she’s done very well.

All you Fraus are being so intelligent and insightful this evening. I’m especially enjoying the posts on class. In my view class is a mixture of occupation, income, generational wealth, education, parents education and culture. I understand the ‘proximity to power’ theory of class but I don’t agree with it as it’s all a bit postmodern and foucauldian for me.

I can’t stress how much of a difference it makes of your parents did A Levels, went to uni and own a house. I grew up WC immigrant to a single mum who’d done none of those things but due to luck and scholarships i got an extremely good education. Occupationally im MC now but culturally and In sociopolitical outlook I believe I still have marked WC immigrant traits. The transition from WC to MC was traumatic for me, I was leaving behind one culture whilst not fully fitting in with the other. CBA to go into detail rn as I prefer laughing at Jack but social mobility can be quite isolating imho. Even tho I’m also grateful for it. A previous Frau talked brilliantly about cultural capital and how knowing about cultural MC touch points helps you navigate those spaces. I didn’t know about those things and it made social spaces very hard to negotiate. Now I’m fortunate enough to be in a position where I can be myself and not care about embarrassing myself.

Jack is middle class. But more importantly, she is a head. A status that is both classless and timeless.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 96
When she was in the poverty, she had to use a wire from her grand piano to cut her cheese because she had sold all her knives. This is a lie of mine
I heard she used piano wire as a washing line to dry her multitude of headscarves she always wears on.

*if I believed for a second she had received the actual abuse re: piano wire she claimed she did, I wouldn’t make fun. But if she had received that vile DM she claimed, why would she need a squig to send her a screenshot of it for ~evidence~? It would be in her DMs, amongst all the pleas for help from the political prisoners and angry Patreon backers.

Reactions: 31
TD and the Sun journalist who commented on Mollys article when it first appeared.
6FEA9331-5FD8-421E-8CB2-9E142A3AF739.jpeg

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 74
Jenny, I’ve been reflecting all day. Especially as Hole were one of my favourite early teenage bands.
i was there, Barrowlands, 1994 or 5 - Courtney threw her knickers into the crowd!
I was there too. I didn't catch the knickers though.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
I'm interested in the 'JM isn't working class' discourse and I'd like to ask Fraus whether they think class is more material (ie you might come from a middle class upbringing and have whatever education credentials but no support network means you're struggling month to month on rent/groceries is working class) or cultural (ie coming from a working class background, distinct 'working class' taste preferences vs 'upper or middle class' preferences, what you spend money on, income is less important)
On twitter sometimes I see people pointing to JM's upbringing alone as proof that Jack can't be working class. I'd more say that it's because Jack has a (minor) celebrity profile, brand deals, books, is invited to talks etc. so claiming they struggle materially to a point of working class-ness is pretty baseless.
Also the Karl stuff made me so sick. Hope everyone is ok x
Such a mix imo, my partner comes from an extremely WC background, spent a good part of his life on benefits and part in a womens refuge too, his grandparents are on benefits and his great grandparents were too. However, he got into a local grammar school, (which gave him a completely different accent to the rest of his family) and was the first in his family to go to uni, now he has a really good high paying job and earns more than most people his age. A lot of working class people think that he’s middle class, but he sticks out as being working class when he’s with more traditionally middle class people. Some toff took the piss out of him a couple of years ago because he didn’t know what hors d’oeuvres are lol.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 43
My county council awarded me a certificate as a County Scholar for getting top marks at a level but I had and have no idea why. It seemed odd and I've never told anyone except now. It seems hilarious to boast about how well you did at school, especially at preGCSE level. Ooooh, I got the headmaster's award for chess club at infant school. Must go tweet about it.
One of my kids got a certificate in primary one for most improved forward roll (this caused myself, husband and family and friends much hilarity after of course praising the little darling). Must keep it for his CV in the future

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 68
I was always told the higher the are the further they fall, shes been properly falling for about a week, do you think she will reach wonderland soon?!

• Haha
Reactions: 21
I still don’t understand how she wasn’t cancelled for that, it was appalling
Because he’s an EVIL TORY so most people seemed to think it was fine. You know. The ones with #bekind in their Twitter bios.

Reactions: 28
My grammar offered the same, we had a few new kids join, but I think they arrive at the beginning of year nine. There was also a wait list, so if any places became available it was offered to those. (kids moving, getting expelled etc made those spaces.)

I kinda hate it when people use the grammar school thing against her, as proof she's middle class. We were all mostly working class at my school, most of us had to stay after school to use the computers because we didn't have one at home, pretty much none of us had been tutored to pass the 11+. (The tutored kids were the ones who struggled in all honesty.)

The only thing that is telling is she fucked up that amazing opportunity to get a good education. Grammar schools are an unfair advantage 100%. She wasted that advantage and privilege. She had too much of a cushion behind her to not care about failing, and fucked it right up. A good education can be a golden ticket to a working class kid like I was.
I agree with you about using the grammar school thing against her, but from what I can understand she didn't pass her 11 plus and somehow her Dad got her in. That sounds like pulling strings to me. In my experience, middle class people have more success in that department, purely because of their standing in the community.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I can’t stress how much of a difference it makes of your parents did A Levels, went to uni and own a house. I grew up WC immigrant to a single mum who’d done none of those things but due to luck and scholarships i got an extremely good education. Occupationally im MC now but culturally and In sociopolitical outlook I believe I still have marked WC immigrant traits. The transition from WC to MC was traumatic for me, I was leaving behind one culture whilst not fully fitting in with the other. CBA to go into detail rn as I prefer laughing at Jack but social mobility can be quite isolating imho. Even tho I’m also grateful for it. A previous Frau talked brilliantly about cultural capital and how knowing about cultural MC touch points helps you navigate those spaces. I didn’t know about those things and it made social spaces very hard to negotiate. Now I’m fortunate enough to be in a position where I can be myself and not care about embarrassing myself.
I could have written this and agree wholeheartedly ❤

I would have to admit I'm middle class now (because of education/occupation/income) but still hold on to so much about the working class mind set, have a LOT of big feelings about class and have always felt somewhat alienated from many MC colleagues, especially as I've been mocked for my accent in almost every white collar job i've had...... for me, as well as the absence of cultural capital, it's also about things like the fact that I will never inherit anything and don't have the "bank of mum and dad" to fall back on if I lose my job or have to shell out a lot for something. (This sounds unintentionally bitter so I ought to point out that I don't feel like i SHOULD have that or anything! it's just something that sets me apart from a lot of other MC people I know)

The exam boards at GCSE and A Level did used to contact schools where a student got a top score nationally. Haven’t seen this in a few years, but things were different during covid. Again, no idea if this happened for 11 plus, seems unlikely though.
I got a top national score in one of my GCSEs 🔺 and I did indeed get a letter form the exam board - or rather the school did, and gave it to me. But obviously that was......one exam. Gonna start describing myself as "one of the top 100 pupils in the COUNTRY" on my CV now though.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 43
I was there too. I didn't catch the knickers though.
Jenny, imagine that! I didn’t catch them either but they flew right past me as I was near enough to the front that me and my pal asked Courtney to throw us some water and she did!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 20
Smells like Teen Spirit boiled soap/Jack Slop
All No Apologies
The Man Woman who Sold the World
Jackie

Jackie wants a burger

Think I should just wash her first

I think she wants some reason

To get out of doing owt

Isn’t me, have some C

Let me clips your dirty nails

Let me take my pride, lost in yourself

Needs some help, can’t help herself

Got some soap, you must be told

Promise you, you smell like poo

Jackie wants a burger

Maybe she could ruin some food

She asked me to underwrite her

A CCJ would be nice for a few

Isn’t me, have some C

Jackie said

Jackie says her joints hurt

She just not good on tv

She caught me off my guard

Amazes me the will of grifting

Isn’t me, have some C

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
She's dead famous....

I mean I bet Angelina, Madonna can only hope they get to the lofty heights of stardom of our Jack has reached.
Don't worry Ange,Madge one day soon you'll swept off your feet by a burger,tango and apple pie 🤗🤗🤗

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 23
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.