Jack Monroe #364 I used to quite like Jack until I started paying attention

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just reading the mumsnet thread and there’s lots of talk about how she did such important work highlighting poverty. Did people not realise there were POORS until she wrote her blog post then? I’m older than her and I’m sure we did chairty collections and so on at school.
And someone calling her an anti poverty campaigner has tickled me as if there’d be someone campaigning for more poverty
I arrived at Tattle after the decennary poverty blog rang alarm bells. Before that, I would have said she was doing great work highlighting how tough things really are. Obviously I knew there were people really struggling for money, especially single parents, in a way that I, (who was genuinely short of money at the time) wasn't. I had no idea for example that there were people in this country who had been reduced to selling every item of worth in their home except two servings of each item of crockery and cutlery. People whose children's feet were hurting because they couldn't manage to get their child shoes in the next size up when there feet had grown. Dickensian level poverty. And I genuinely didn't know people still lived like that. And it meant I contributed to her lifestyle when I was genuinely short of money to live on myself. When some people talk of her opening their eyes to poverty, I think this might be what they mean.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 69
I've heard a couple of people in the public eye 🔺 say that they've had to have their wives intervene when they've been on Twitter too long, and that something about being embroiled in a spat where you want to a) be right and b) have the last word does something to your brain, especially if you are someone who thrives on having an audience.

Me-railing slightly but it makes me sad that internet usage policing is now becoming an accepted part of wifework. It was two men talking, so maybe it's spousework and men have to do this for women too, I don't know. It's a big part of parenting now, too. Anyway, sad that people aren't able to self-regulate, that it's just another potential or actual addiction to struggle with.
There's a number of evolutionary psychologists who have in recent years sounded a warning bell about twitter in particular, explaining that it disrupts the millennia of evolution in the way we communicate, which we have evolved to do face to face, in groups. The response of the other person or the group is vital in our social and emotional self-regulation. The Twitter algo deliberately works to duck up this ancient and minutely evolved part of our brain, by encouraging arguments, pile-ons, over simplification and sensationalism when our brains have evolved to seek compromise and nuance in communication for the sake of, ya know, our survival.

it's actually quite scary when you properly listen to experts explaining it all. I mean in just 10 years of twitter you can see the effect it's had on our political and media discourse. What will we be like in another 20 years?

I also think the tribalism and sensationalism of twitter is what enables people like Jack. She iterally could not pull the same grift in IRL, and probably not on other SM platforms so easily. There's a number of features in Twitter that make it easy, and explain why she is so scarily invested in the platform.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 78
That Ralf Little character is making things worse for Monroe and he doesn't know it.

Can't screenshot, but he's talking about tax returns and Patreon content:

"I do it all the time. Fundraisers via Cameo, Memmo, GoFundMe etc. It comes to me, then I donate it. It’s all logged in tax returns."

"Patreon is not the same thing. I don’t donate from my Patreon, I get subscribers who pay for the content if and when they see fit. That’s called capitalism."

Can't wait to see the responses to those two tweets.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 74
It's really funny how hard her diamond rings tweet backfired. It just shows how hopelessly clueless she is. She really thought that "pawning my three diamond engagement rings from multiple exes" was a good bait for sympathy fishing, that the poor urchin was having to give away treasured sentimental items. When everyone is just shocked she's hoarded them, and been begging all this time while sitting on a little stash of diamonds.

(Edited some unfortunate spelling mistakes!)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 71
Thinking about how she's tricksy with words...

What if ...

The money was going into her personal PayPal account, to replace the money that *she* donated to TT earlier in the year when she ballsed up the TeeMill thing? So technically donation related, but for her own to benefit to replace what she spent...

• Heart
Reactions: 52

What if ...

The money was going into her personal PayPal account, to replace the money that *she* donated to TT earlier in the year when she ballsed up the TeeMill thing? So technically donation related, but for her own to benefit to replace what she spent...
I didn't realise Jack Monroe had registered Jack Monroe as a charity! Silly me.

• Haha
Reactions: 56

What if ...

Careful now, like a red rag to a bull, that post is like one of these to a Grifter
F0C7E4C1-9677-4664-B678-3CC1A76381EB.jpeg

Still, looking forward to seeing how long it takes her to catch up to this point and deploy the above…

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.