Jack Monroe #359 Hoops I Did It Again

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If only there was some sort of cooking pot that enabled you to keep food at a safe temperature for a long period of time at minimal cost. It wouldn't cook things very quickly, but as long as they made this clear in the device name, it would save having to buy wood and build boxes, add insulation and risk food poisoning from inadequately cooked meat or breaking teeth on raw rice.
What if it kept you warm if you put it on your bed side table?

• Haha
Reactions: 34
Yes, that's great but a weekly reading is dependent on capability. For example I couldn't do it because of my dyscalulia. What about a memory impairment or it being a pain to get a ladder out or get on the floor to read a meter in a daft place. It could be dangerous.
I absolutely can't manage meter readings for various reasons due to aspects of my conditions. I have told my utility company numerous times and I'm on their disabled customer scheme but they still regularly ask me to do it, I just hope that their technology is good enough to calculate my actual usage and adjust accordingly 🤞

• Heart
Reactions: 32
I loathe Scottish Jack. Someone I know moved to Scotland from somewhere very south and is calling things “wee” and frankly I could punch him in the face Every. Single. Time.

ETA I love the term when actual Scottish people use it. I’m not anti-Scottish, just anti-twats.
I concur. I'm very Scottish, and I love my English friends' fab accents. Saying weird Scottish things is rather annoying and I'm not even sure why... 😑

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Why does _everything_ she makes look like someone ate it then immediately voided it back up onto the plate? Just so viscerally revolting! It’s like her special gift or something, idk.
~Slightly~ ot but I caught my Content eating their own vom today, still looked and smelled like 'food' , more attractive and no doubt more appetising than anything evil jack could conjure up

• Haha
Reactions: 15
She's a leach. Exhausted her parents. She's a petulant child. I'll show you attitude. That attitude has never left her.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
I concur. I'm very Scottish, and I love my English friends' fab accents. Saying weird Scottish things is rather annoying and I'm not even sure why... 😑
I’m going to sidle up to you in Rose St Sainsbury’s and just whisper “taps aff” in English in your ear I’m not

• Haha
Reactions: 42
Sooooo, as promised, I've forensically analysed a Jack recipe, in this case Simple Tomato and Bean Soup.
I've used the package data from the packaged stuff, and the SELF website date for the fresh food.
1 carrot (using 1 US cup as an average carrot) – 52 calories

2 garlic cloves 8 calories

I medium onion 44 calories

Stock made with a cube 30 calories

Asda baked beans per tin 330 calories –
minus 70 for the sauce being rinsed 260 calories
Asda chopped tomatoes 1 tin 310 calories
Total calories 704
Recipe is for four people so 176 calories per person.

If this is an entire meal it is not nutritionally adequate for a growing child - you would have to add a couple of slices of bread and butter to bring it up to around 400 calories. No mention of the tiny calorie count in the recipe itself.
Jack describes it as "a hearty, filling soup suitable for lunch or a light supper" - at 176 calories it is neither hearty nor filling. And the costing of 20p per portion is misleading, since a quarter of that recipe would not fill a shrew.
The worst ones are when she was doing £10 a week. Yeah they are for a desperate situation but even a food bank would let you survive on this little food:

The mushroom soup? That tasty Sunday treat? 64 calories. No, not per person. For the whole thing, which serves two. This got printed in the guardian for duck sake.

I honestly think you’d be better off buying loads of value biscuits because at least they’d help you feel full for the day.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 65
I once miscalculated how much food I’d need for a trip when I was a teenager, Can confirm that for two days I ate a couple of packets of biscuits. No heating cost, no refrigeration, lightweight to carry in the backpack. That’s my kind of 50p per day living. Mmmm custard creams.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 55
I wonder why she doesn't look at Lidl/Aldi special buys every week, and make a meal plan for the week based on what's on offer?

That's probably waayyyy too much effort for her puppy brain 🤢🤢🤢

Reactions: 42
She's a scrounger. She's taking the piss. Probably thinks she's educating the great unwashed 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 29
I had to leave Old Style - some very odd people on there and it seemed more like a coffee morning and a "look what I've done" thread. Some great ideas but some utter loon cakes....

She's as thick as mince.....
She’ll be right at home there with the utter loon cakes

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Sooooo, as promised, I've forensically analysed a Jack recipe, in this case Simple Tomato and Bean Soup.
I've used the package data from the packaged stuff, and the SELF website date for the fresh food.
1 carrot (using 1 US cup as an average carrot) – 52 calories

2 garlic cloves 8 calories

I medium onion 44 calories

Stock made with a cube 30 calories

Asda baked beans per tin 330 calories –
minus 70 for the sauce being rinsed 260 calories
Asda chopped tomatoes 1 tin 310 calories
Total calories 704
Recipe is for four people so 176 calories per person.

If this is an entire meal it is not nutritionally adequate for a growing child - you would have to add a couple of slices of bread and butter to bring it up to around 400 calories. No mention of the tiny calorie count in the recipe itself.
Jack describes it as "a hearty, filling soup suitable for lunch or a light supper" - at 176 calories it is neither hearty nor filling. And the costing of 20p per portion is misleading, since a quarter of that recipe would not fill a shrew.
I don’t understand why you’d need to wash the sauce off? I make a sausage casserole that uses beans and chopped tomatoes and it mixes just fine. You can buy beans without sauce anyway! There’s a maximum of two portions in that recipe let’s be honest.

Reactions: 23
I’m ready for a Freeman on the Land Jack. She could offer great advice about how, if you don’t consent to state law, it doesn’t count and you therefore don’t need to pay taxes. And if you get taken to court for lack of payment, you just tell them you’re a separate legal entity from the individual. Or some tit. I dunno. I used to work with one who removed the number plates from his car for reasons. It seems like exactly the sort of movement that would attract Jack types who consider themselves intellectuals.
I could totally see Sovereign Citizen Jack. There's a few where I live, and she does give off that vibe. The older she gets, the more down the rabbit hole she'll fall, because no one has stepped in and told her to stop it with her tit.

Reactions: 30
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.