Jack Monroe #353 Jack Monroe campaigns for Jack Monroe not to be in poverty

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Bit like her autism diagnosis stories. Was she diagnosed as a child, but never spoken to about it, only finding out when a GP casually read it in her medical record? Or was she diagnosed as an adult, as described in this interview?

View attachment 1474517
On another blog, didn’t she say she had to sell her car? Why would you have a car if you didn’t drive it.

• Haha
Reactions: 33
Also - quoting myself 🤣 - absolutely no autism diagnosis comes with a qualifier such as “99 per cent of the qualities of classic autism”. duck’s sake. You either meet the diagnostic criteria or you don’t.

Also, so-called “classic autism” (a term that is never used and hasn’t been for a long time) usually refers to someone who needs a high level of care and support, is non-verbal etc.

So even if “classic autism” WAS a commonly used term, Jack could never tick off “99 per cent of the qualities”.

The whole story is complete and utter bollocks.
I’ve heard, read and been involved in so many autism diagnosis and it never happens that the doctor just tests you and says yeh you’re classically 99% autistic you are love probably a bit of adhd too. Ffs. If only it was that bloody easy. And not to mention the whirl of emotions that go alongside a late diagnosis and period of coming to terms with it.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
Has any heard this. It’s a talk Jack gave and she sings to the poor fuckers. It’s completely bizarre. singing starts at about 37 mins. I didn’t listen to any of the rest tbh
What in the fresh hell is this? I think it's about 39mins by the time she finally stops introducing the song and gets going and it is AWFUL. She stops halfway through to say 'I should've begun in another key'. No, you shouldn't have begun at all...

• Haha
Reactions: 49
Just stopped for a quick grunk and a coffee, I’m exhausted and my work is a shambles but hey ho, what can you expect from a denizen of a Dark corner of the internet.
I was thinking how absolutely MAD this entire thing is. Jack Monroe was invited to 10 Downing St FFS. She’s appeared in front of a parliamentary committee. She was onstage at a Labour Conference.
Once this breaks onto the main stream media, there’s going to be an awful lot of read faces.
There is a really good book to be written about the smol con artist and someone will write it. Probably make a shed load of money while they are at.
Anyway back to the grind

• Heart
Reactions: 44
On another blog, didn’t she say she had to sell her car? Why would you have a car if you didn’t drive it.
I was given a car as an incentive to learn to drive when I didn't want or need to but it was more about creating a compelling argument for an older, less safe relative to stop driving. Another family member appropriated it before I could afford lessons anyway. Send clapped out Ford Fiesta-os.

• Haha
Reactions: 28
Suggestion for any journalists wanting to report all this but not wanting to lose face for their previous fawning of Jack.

Any of these articles, and more, including Jack's opinions and other people's too. She will not come out well.

Can autistic people lie?
Should patreons be public?
Is boiling up soap utterly pointless?

• Haha
Reactions: 37
Looking back at it, I think she did have some sort of real mark below her eye (not one bad enough to require a trip to the hospital) and if she’s telling the truth about her alcohol issues I’d speculate she tripped because of that and hit herself on something, hence the lies about the dumbbell etc. (Another substance may more adequately explain the need for a hospital trip unrelated to a black eye but I wouldn’t want to speculate further than that). As her lies tend to, it spirals until she’s painting a black eye on herself.

All that to say, it’s bonkers but hopefully this is one Molly avoids because I suspect any rebuttal will play various MH/addiction cards.

Because in the circles Jack was raised in, a car is a pretty standard 17th/18th birthday present (default assumption being everyone wants to learn to drive) and she didn’t realise when she admitted that that it’s actually quite a privileged gift. See also:seamaster.

• Heart
Reactions: 47
its worse than that - it’s not pinching every penny, because doing so would mean not actually boiling the soap down and instead using the soap, as soap, in the shower. Shower gel is less cost effective than soap anyway, if we’re getting really down into it. It’s like a badly informed parody of the priorities of people with zero money, but it’s a lie too far, because people can just about believe hard luck stories of eating unappetising cheap stuff when hungry, but *nobody* is so desperate for shower gel, when they actually own some soap, to go to great lengths to make it. It’s nothing but misjudged branding, but where she hasn’t done the maths either on the economics or the human effort required. And it - like all her stuff - makes poverty seem like a catalyst for craft activity fun, rather than a mundane grind

oops, misread the end of your post and on reading back I see you’ve already addressed that the boiling undermines the Penny pinching.
“It makes poverty seem like a catalyst for craft activity fun” Yes! I have a mental association between Jack and Kirsty Allsopp for exactly this reason. Like it’s a fun challenge to be thrifty - which is exactly how a middle class person who can afford a £400 John Lewis hammock would approach thriftiness.

I did wonder if she actually did boil down some soap to make shower gel, but just as kind of an experiment, and had a lightbulb (or should I say solar lantern) moment later: “Oooh, I could say I did this because I’m poor in that post I’m planning to write to wring some more coins from the suckers!”

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 49
With the biggest irony being that her obsessive need to patrol twitter and control the narrative 24/7 is exactly what has killed her career and any decent opportunities she has actually had.. she is her own worst enemy. So many things she has been handed on a plate that she could really have made a go of if she just pulled her finger out, kept her nose clean and cracked on with some honest work
I can imagine her losing out on opportunities due to her awful Twitter. Companies who are considering her for a collaboration only need to Google her name and they’ll quickly find the tweets where she’s telling people to duck off or encouraging her followers to shoplift. Would put off any sane business.

Speaking of which, where is the Superdrug work? Article on period poverty maybe? Hints on turning Superdrug soap into shower gel?

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I believe imho that that person is Jack in a sock. I believe that because of the writing style and also because that poster is incredibly patronising to other women on the thread. Poster claimed it was impossible to be a writer and have a day job. When a number of people responding that they were writers and had day jobs, the sock responding that that meant they couldnt be real writers, just "hobby writers". V much had 'not like other girls' energy
I may have mentioned before, but I am a full time writer 🔺It took me YEARS to be earning enough to be able to give up my other jobs. I was often juggling three or four at a time. That’s what you do if you’re genuinely working class and want to go into a precarious career. You work your arse off doing a million things to pay the bills, juggle things, go without. If only I could’ve sat back and have other people pay for me to develop. Jack’s lack of understanding and acknowledgement of their privilege is astounding.

• Heart
Reactions: 63
Posting from the past, hoping to catch up sometime before Christmas. The school holidays are plating havoc with my Tattling so apologies if this has been covered.
Plating Havoc: a Mack Jonroe Mystery

• Haha
Reactions: 32
What’s interesting is that the sheer number of lies can contribute to why accusing someone of lying us hard to make stick. Catch someone out in one lie, and they’re the hole. Notice a whole pattern of lies, and a seasoned bullshitter can spin it as the other person is the hole.
i’ve been trying to think of who I’m reminded of by the pattern of small pointless lies among big ones, and it’s an old work colleague from when I worked in a care home, who got the job at the same time I did, and it was one of those things that was cumulative where I - and others - believed her and totally empathised until suddenly it was clear as day. Some highlights, without any analysis added, just the facts:
* turned up for interview in wedding dress, claimed she was getting married that afternoon. When I started the job after my CRB check (as it was then known) I met her and said “congratulations on the wedding” and she looked at me like I was mad for a few seconds, then thanked me.
* on the second week of employment claimed that a long standing staff member had attempted to sexually assault her, resulting in his suspension and expulsion
* months later claimed that a black action figure belonging to one of the residents of the care home triggered PTSD because it reminded her of the man she’d got sacked, took a week off work
*two days after a staff party where a few of us had been drunkenly sharing embarrassing kinks and I said I didn’t have any major ones but had a thing for red toenails she turned up for shift barefoot, red toenails, claimed her shoes had been vomited on on the bus so she’d thrown them away
*sent me lengthy messages that our immediate boss was being abusive and shouting at her whenever she was alone with him, claimed that the only reason she was still working there was because of my emotional support
*in her exit interview, claimed that she was leaving because of me (despite said messages being still in my inbox, and when my manager brought up this issue in my monthly supervision, he was totally unaware that she’d had issues with him, I showed him my messenger inbox giving him free rein to scroll back as far as he wanted, and he was like “this is complete fantasy, none of this happened that she described, and the impression she gave me of you is not at all what she’s saying here”
*any time she was alone with a service user, managed to sustain an injury resulting in two days off work
*claimed that she had to get taxis home or leave work half an hour early because all the bus stops near work dont stop when it’s only her at the bus stop, and as its a dangerous area she can’t walk home
*appeared a bit tipsy at work, I mentioned it to her discreetly with a ”mate are you ok? If the manager sees you pissed you’ll be in the tit, so it might be better if you go off sick” in response she claimed that her devout Muslim husband might have spiked her water flask with vodka. i said “but wouldn’t you be able to taste vodka In water? She said “yes, but I’m allergic to alcohol, so it only needs to be a trace amount and I could die” “does your husband know this?” “Yes” “so he tried to kill you?” “Erm…. no, I think he’s just testing me, he’s very controlling”
You could just have stopped at the wedding dress 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 41
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.