Jack Monroe #350 Can you crochet a web of lies?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I keep thinking about those tweets from Mom Nigella - dunno if I’ll articulate this well.

I’m not even sure she wrote them. They look/sound a bit off kilter in contrast to her other tweets. Phrasing is a bit odd. Can’t it finger on why.

The other thing is - to me, there is a tone of “all the opportunities you’ve had and you’re still claiming to be in a mess? How is that possible?” To it.

Meh. I don’t know just feels weird. Maybe it’s the raging PMS I’ve got.
I thought the same tbh…

“I find it unfathomable that someone with the work you’ve done, the books published to acclaim etc, should find herself in such straits”

Well yes quite Nigella, I think we all find it unfathomable.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 74
Oh me oh my the seven figure Hollywood lie!! I forgot about that. That’s one of my fave lies too.

• Haha
Reactions: 60
She only has to scream MENTAL HEALTH down the phone at them asking for a comment and they will back off. There has been too many semi-famous people damaged or even worse by gotcha press.

Anyway - the AmazingThread from that gorgeous human that really gets it has shared this Tweet of the Week - if not of the year.

For your delectation.
At the rate we're filling up this thread, I'm putting in a thread title nomination for:

No one should be donating to a character from a Pulp song.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 117
Quoting myself like a ninny, but if that isn't a big Tory dig at Mum and Dad I'll eat my hat. "Look who's been reduced to going to the POLISH SHOP don't you feel GUILTY", pathetic
Maybe she just really buys a lot of polish. Like for her eye.

• Haha
Reactions: 37
Her leccy and gas confuse me. Why is it so much, this was prior to the current crisis.
I dont know, but prior to this our bills were not that bad. To be paying so much for two people is mind boggling.
Probably because she's melting soap to make shower gel?

• Haha
Reactions: 48
Just wanted to say how lovely it is to see so many old friends coming back to this thread.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 88
Agree with this. TBH her professional reputation's been on the skids since the That Man pile on. Incidents like yesterday's only accelerate the downward spiral. What has changed since yesterday is that ordinary people now feel a bit more empowered to speak out. I've seen several tweets from squigs saying they thought something was not right with JM but were too scared to say so, or witnessed the groupthink regarding JM's 'brilliance' and so decided that there must be something wrong with them. In that context, Awfully Molly was the equivalent of the kid who pointed out that the emperor was naked. Once someone's said the quiet part out loud, more and more people will say it, in increasing numbers, every time she tries another beg, until she really has no choice but to back down.
She really needed to shine on DKL to justify that tantrum and as we know she was like a competition winner who wished they'd just taken the cash prize instead. Every opportunity she's had since has been similarly half arsed, it comes to a point where word gets round enough and the work starts to dry up. Even if the current chaos hadn't happened, at some point saying the VBI is nearly ready just doesn't cut it any more.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 72
I keep thinking about those tweets from Mom Nigella - dunno if I’ll articulate this well.

I’m not even sure she wrote them. They look/sound a bit off kilter in contrast to her other tweets. Phrasing is a bit odd. Can’t it finger on why.

The other thing is - to me, there is a tone of “all the opportunities you’ve had and you’re still claiming to be in a mess? How is that possible?” To it.

Meh. I don’t know just feels weird. Maybe it’s the raging PMS I’ve got.
It was the use of 'unfathomable' that gave me that impression too!

• Haha
Reactions: 48
IMG_20220802_155621.jpg

But it's Jack's public tweets. It's literally just keeping a record of things Jack has said. It's not like her twitter or blog is private, she shares basically everything she does.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 100

Yel

Oh me oh my the seven figure Hollywood lie!! I forgot about that. That’s one of my fave lies too.
It's a goodie! My fave is the one about her son so upset about breaking her mum of the year award (or was it person of the year?). In true lifetime tv movie style jack reassured him that he was the best proof of what amazing mum she is. Or something like that!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 55
View attachment 1465576

Sorry it doesn’t show Jack b/c I blocked that dementor long ago but this thread is an astonishing takedown and recommend searching it and luxuriating in it.
I came across it in the wild before I saw your post and I agree - the lady in question is everything that Jack could have been (and I think on some level thinks she is)

• Heart
Reactions: 34
She's being so much quieter than usual isn't she ninnies. Like Bobby Fischer, considering her next move.

It's actually not that obvious what her next move should be. If I were her, I'd see several options, but they all have drawbacks:

1. Try to style it out and come back after 24 hours with the usual weak banter about favourite Oreo flavours / easter egg brands, generally act as if nothing's happened. Drawback: people will keep asking questions and making criticisms, and it will look bad to let them go unanswered.
2. Address Molly in more detail, explaining why their thread was 'false' and 'abusive'. Drawback: really hard to refute your own words, or to claim that everything's been faked. She could argue that the Twitter screenies have been faked (athough quite hard to claim this about tweets which many others will recall seeing), harder to do with an archived WaPo article or a podcast made by someone else.
3. Announce her retirement from grifting campaigning. Drawback is that this may come with refund demands from Patreon supporters. Can she afford to do this given that the Patreon money has likely all been spent over years of impulsive spending decisions?
4. DFE and go dark. Drawback is that Jack is physically unable to lie live without Twitter attention and seems not to have IRL friends.
5. Do a chaos or have a Jaccident. But people are increasingly wise to this deflection activity.

She's actually not in an easy position. If she'd been called out four or five years ago, she'd have had more options, but her behaviour has just continued becoming ever more outlandish and rapacious, the lies have got stupider, and she has backed herself further and further into a corner.

I hate the phrase 'you have no one to blame but yourself' as it's so often used to shame people who are victims of bad circs and vulnerability. But in jack's case, I can't really think of a phrase that is more apt.

• Heart
Reactions: 67
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.