Jack Monroe #341 The numbers on the key are upside down

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'll keep this really quick as the conversation has moved on and it's off topic anyway. Relevant for menstruating women on contraception. I recently had an online Contraceptive Consultation with a GP via a website called the Lowdown. Learnt more in that 20 minutes than I have in the 15 yrs since I started my periods. Got lots of helpful advice regarding debilitating PMS and how changing my contraception could help. Cost £37, would recommend. The total lack of education and discussion around periods, menopause etc is shocking and directly contributes to much unnecessary suffering and stress. Women should not just have to put up and shut up about these things.

Now that is off my chest - continue being hilarious, please

• Heart
Reactions: 58
Genuine question, not trying to offend or be a dick, but how does Jack NOT wearing this hairstyle help Black people wear their hair how they please? I understand that Black people still get discriminated for wearing certain hairstyles and that obviously needs to stop, but I don't know why a 1/4 Cypriot Greek not wearing braids helps this cause.
It's a pattern with her, though, isn't it? From saying she can't be racist because she has a Black brother, to then using that Black brother in a story about how she was called a slag when she was babysitting him and her white sister, to her using AAVE to tell Marcus Rashford off publicly, to explaining racism in a black and white monetised video where she calls herself "white as mayo" and promises to give the proceeds to the Minnesota Freedom Foundation (which was never mentioned again), to pitching a book where she's the gatekeeper of Black people telling their own stories, etc etc. Just constant appropriation - some of which for profit - off the back of Black culture, which she implies she's allowed to do because her granddad was Greek Cypriot, overlooking the fact she's 100% English caucasian. And then all the people in her comments telling anyone who objects to STFU, it just reeks of white privilege.

• Heart
Reactions: 88
I'll keep this really quick as the conversation has moved on and it's off topic anyway. Relevant for menstruating women on contraception. I recently had an online Contraceptive Consultation with a GP via a website called the Lowdown. Learnt more in that 20 minutes than I have in the 15 yrs since I started my periods. Got lots of helpful advice regarding debilitating PMS and how changing my contraception could help. Cost £37, would recommend. The total lack of education and discussion around periods, menopause etc is shocking and directly contributes to much unnecessary suffering and stress. Women should not just have to put up and shut up about these things.

Now that is off my chest - continue being hilarious, please
As a PMDD frau, I agree. So much more to be done in terms of education, and normalising discussion around menstruation and hormones. Feels like things in this area progress so slowly.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
Going by the gushing crap her publisher puts out there publicly, her publisher/therapist/good friend seems to be one of her biggest enablers.

View attachment 1426110
I’m not so sure. What a professional posts about a client on a public platform can be completely different to their private conversations. They are entirely focused on building interest and sales.

Reactions: 15
As a PMDD frau, I agree. So much more to be done in terms of education, and normalising discussion around menstruation and hormones. Feels like things in this area progress so slowly.
Re your spoiler, I once asked Mr Moldwarp what he thought society would be like if men, not women, menstruated. He thought for a bit and then said “It would get £ billions in research and healthcare, and news and current affairs programmes would discuss nothing else.”:ROFLMAO:

re those old pics of Jack. In my view she really was a strikingly beautiful child and teen. Perhaps that’s some of the source of her egotism now? In my experience women who were very very beautiful as children always carry that ego boost with them as they tended to get more attention and admiration from adults and peers.Or maybe that just reflects my bitterness as having been a swarthy, overweight, awkward child who could always be found lurking in the darkest corner of any given room :ROFLMAO:

• Heart
Reactions: 48
Jack has been editing this book since February 2021.

View attachment 1425851

In June '21 she made a wall chart of post-it notes...

View attachment 1425852

In Feb '22 she was still at it:

View attachment 1425853

In March:

View attachment 1425854

In April, when she was briefly a lifelong football fan:

View attachment 1425855

In May:

View attachment 1425856

...and now in July.

These edits may turn out to be the longest relationship of Jack's life.
She must have taken one too many of her ritalin when she started on those post it notes. No one cares Jack!!

Reactions: 18
Genuine question, not trying to offend or be a dick, but how does Jack NOT wearing this hairstyle help Black people wear their hair how they please? I understand that Black people still get discriminated for wearing certain hairstyles and that obviously needs to stop, but I don't know why a 1/4 Cypriot Greek not wearing braids helps this cause.
I think it's as the person said in their Instagram comment, there's a trend of Black hairstyles and aesthetics being seen as more attractive if they're worn by white people; it's very long-running but an example would be Kim Kardashian getting corn rows which were covered as if they're a beautiful new hairstyle, more so than if a celebrity like Beyonce gets them put in. So if white influencers try on Black hairstyles it means this trend gets continued of Black hairstyles only being celebrated and seen as attractive on white people who also don't know the history of the hairstyle and don't have the experience of living with the racism around Black hair. It's a big trend that Jack is a very, very small part of. Sorry if I missed anything here :) https://www.popsugar.co.uk/beauty/black-hairstyles-and-cultural-appropriation-history-47646199

• Heart
Reactions: 63
It's a pattern with her, though, isn't it? From saying she can't be racist because she has a Black brother, to then using that Black brother in a story about how she was called a slag when she was babysitting him and her white sister, to her using AAVE to tell Marcus Rashford off publicly, to explaining racism in a black and white monetised video where she calls herself "white as mayo" and promises to give the proceeds to the Minnesota Freedom Foundation (which was never mentioned again), to pitching a book where she's the gatekeeper of Black people telling their own stories, etc etc. Just constant appropriation - some of which for profit - off the back of Black culture, which she implies she's allowed to do because her granddad was Greek Cypriot, overlooking the fact she's 100% English caucasian. And then all the people in her comments telling anyone who objects to STFU, it just reeks of white privilege.
The only reason Jack hasn't done a Rachel Dolezal is because Rachel Dolezal got caught.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 52
Surely she will get such a reputation in the publishing world that the work will dry up soon. If she had an actual job she would have been sacked long ago for not turning up and never hitting set deadlines.
She can go back to working as a SW in the brothel that apparently smells like one of her drawers

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Remember when she posted for advice about how to cut Black hair at the height of BLM (and also at the height of social distancing 😂)? It's for clout, to insert and centre herself into these conversations as though she has any right to be talking about it, rather than just listening to the experiences of Black people.

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 68
I'm in no way homophobic, I just can't bare people who decide to call themselves full on lesbian when it clearly isn't the case, she's never came out as bi only lesbian yet wants to date men. This is an insult to actual lesbians.

Attachments

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
Oh for sure. Her whole behaviour during BLM was shocking and I'm sure she posted her hammock-braid-thirst-pic deliberately to get called out.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
Remember when she posted for advice about how to cut Black hair at the height of BLM (and also at the height of social distancing 😂)? It's for clout, to insert and centre herself into these conversations as though she has any right to be talking about it, rather than just listening to the experiences of Black people.
It was just bizarre, like we're all reading going "well of course an entirely unqualified white woman would be the obvious first choice to deal with black hair during lockdown".

• Haha
Reactions: 48
I think it's as the person said in their Instagram comment, there's a trend of Black hairstyles and aesthetics being seen as more attractive if they're worn by white people; it's very long-running but an example would be Kim Kardashian getting corn rows which were covered as if they're a beautiful new hairstyle, more so than if a celebrity like Beyonce gets them put in. So if white influencers try on Black hairstyles it means this trend gets continued of Black hairstyles only being celebrated and seen as attractive on white people who also don't know the history of the hairstyle and don't have the experience of living with the racism around Black hair. It's a big trend that Jack is a very, very small part of. Sorry if I missed anything here :) https://www.popsugar.co.uk/beauty/black-hairstyles-and-cultural-appropriation-history-47646199
Thanks, that's helpful. I'm not 100% sure I agree with the logic of the argument, but I guess I don't have to. Appreciate your explanation and link. As Jack would say 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 25
I'm a bit puzzled: not really looked at her Instagram page before, and quite a few food pics on there look nicely cooked, lit and styled. Does Jack take these or are they by professionals for her books?

P.S. I think her upcycled kitchen looks nice (including those very expensive vintage apothecary drawers!!) but in the name of all that's holy that rag rug is a trip hazard/hygiene nightmare!

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.