Jack Monroe #311 Please consider the environment before printing this thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ouchy mouth is not an excuse to justify acting like a prick towards That Man.

Do you know what they used to do to actual Poors back in the day Jack? They'd pull all their teeth, healthy or not, because they figured they'd only wind up letting them go rotten and need dentures anyway. My maternal grandparents had theirs out by her age. You might be better off going down that route, then you might shut up about your bloody mouth.
This is the origin of the phrase "granny's smile", as in "she's got her granny's smile". Working class girls routinely had their teeth pulled when they reached adulthood to avoid any future dental expenses. If they could afford it, the teeth were set in dentures. If not, dentures were passed down the line from granny to mother to daughter. Eating with ill-fitting dentures was no doubt difficult, as was smiling and talking. Granny's smile is a fake smile or refusing to smile for photos etc (I'm from the North East). 😢

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 51
This is the origin of the phrase "granny's smile", as in "she's got her granny's smile". Working class girls routinely had their teeth pulled when they reached adulthood to avoid any future dental expenses. If they could afford it, the teeth were set in dentures. If not, dentures were passed down the line from granny to mother to daughter. Eating with ill-fitting dentures was no doubt difficult, as was smiling and talking. Granny's smile is a fake smile or refusing to smile for photos etc (I'm from the North East). 😢
It also affected the way people spoke, firstly due to the compensatory ways people had to shape their mouths, then copied by infants learning to speak, giving rise to the use of 'shree' instead of 'three' in predominantly working-class communities, as an example.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 35
Ouchy mouth is not an excuse to justify acting like a prick towards That Man.

Do you know what they used to do to actual Poors back in the day Jack? They'd pull all their teeth, healthy or not, because they figured they'd only wind up letting them go rotten and need dentures anyway. My maternal grandparents had theirs out by her age. You might be better off going down that route, then you might shut up about your bloody mouth.
Babe, same (grandparents not me, thankfully)
A few months in poverty doesn't equal generational dental ill health, lol

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Wow what a catch up that was!!
So she is attacking JO again.. for what exactly? Being more successful than her? Having more wealth? He does have money (that he has worked for) and owns a beautiful home but guess what? He may not be to everyone’s tastes but he doesn’t pretend to be pleading poverty and take money from those who can barely spare it. Also this whole slating him saying ‘where was he during the free school meals in lockdown?!’ Well Jack, I would have thought that as you were so ~forsensic~ you would remember he wrote this open letter to parliament with Marcus Rashford, Tom Kerridge and others. Guess who’s name is as absent on this letter.. ‘working behind the scenes’ again were you Jack?

She needs to wind her neck in. She really does! What a vile bully she is.
Jamie Oliver also got one of his chefs to write up a free kid's cookbook to cook 5 meals for the £15 a week school meals vouchers. It had recipes which were both tasty and able to be cooked by older children and healthy. The meals also served more than one kid, with some of the recipes serving four.

• Heart
Reactions: 57
Hang on - so she is there to advise how to keep costs down on hygiene and personal care routines. Can you imagine the furore if someone like Lee Anderson suggested poor people needed advising on their personal hygiene?
ETA I don't think I'd take personal care tips from someone who eats pot noodle in bed and doesn't brush their teeth.
Maybe she's bringing out her own range of nailbrushes? One can only dream.

• Haha
Reactions: 28
library fraus can we put her right again - she pulling out this classic again 🙄
87BB1157-2789-4F87-AB2A-765D424A8501.jpeg

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 66
I don't know about anyone else, but I've put my votes in for the observer food awards. Thanks for the heads up Jack (you didn't feature on account of your culinary crimes)! 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 30
Utter bollocks regarding having one of the most borrowed books.

Where is she getting that from? David Walliams is quite high up the list tho.

• Haha
Reactions: 33
Utter bollocks regarding having one of the most borrowed books.

Where is she getting that from? David Walliams is quite high up the list tho.
I’ve not checked my own sad stats, but is there a way you can refine the search down?

>Jack at computer<
Searches top ten.
Searches top ten cookery books.
Searches top ten worst cookery books
Searches top ten slop books

Top ten, baby!

• Haha
Reactions: 32
Why does she hate Jamie so much? Is it because he LITERALLY pays millions in tax?
I think it’s at least partly because he’s an easy target who you can’t be accused of punching down if you attack. If had a single protected characteristic, like he was black or gay, if he was openly a labour supporter or if he had come from a very poor or troubled background she wouldn’t dare go for him like an obnoxious, snappy chihuahua. What I find more baffling is her adoration of super posh, daughter of a Tory minister, Nigella.

• Heart
Reactions: 51
I think it’s at least partly because he’s an easy target who you can’t be accused of punching down if you attack. If had a single protected characteristic, like he was black or gay, if he was openly a labour supporter or if he had come from a very poor or troubled background she wouldn’t dare go for him like an obnoxious, snappy chihuahua. What I find more baffling is her adoration of super posh, daughter of a Tory minister, Nigella.
He has less GCSEs than her though

• Haha
Reactions: 30
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.