Jack Monroe #303 The lingering honk of burning martyr..

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I understand that but in the same article she said that she turned her heating off. She also said she turned the fridge off and that she unscrewed lightbulbs.

I’m not disputing that fuel bills can be costly particularly on a prepayment meter but if your heating is off and you unplug the fridge and you unscrew lightbulbs then how much fuel are you actually using? And we are talking 12 years ago now when fuel costs weren’t as high as they are now
I moved into the 2 bed in 2011. Electric was never more than £10 a week, except for when the PS4 was on, and it jumped to £15. I quickly bought a FireStick to watch TV on instead, even though, at the time, it was seriously limited and the PS4 had all streaming services on. (Being able to sack off Sky and Virgin over a decade ago was one of the most joyous things I’ve ever done 🤣) And I used cloth nappies so extra washing loads + the dryer was on daily with a toddler and newborn. So nope, her claims re electric are bollocks.

Reactions: 19
Just a reminder that blog posts can be scheduled. I don’t believe any of her stories AT ALL but I don’t think dates of blog posts are necessarily smoking guns.
The 31st July and 5th August blogs had references to time and are unlikely to have been scheduled. Also the content of these blogs was damming, not just the timing of them.

I would accept that it’s humanly possible for the 1st and 2nd of August blogs to have been scheduled, but it would be completely out of character for her. Given her disorganisation, and given her lack of boasting martyrdom about how despite already writing her own obituary, she still wanted to keep making a difference so scheduled two blogs about volunteering.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I may be wrong, but didn’t she claim that the worst of the poverty was due to benefit delays? And because she’d gone viral and was in the news, her benefits kept getting stopped because they assumed she was being paid for tv appearances and things like that?
This was two separate incidents.

First, Jack found a job in a pub in spring 2012, then quit soon after. This is what led to her initial problems with benefits, as she was unable to pay her bills and rent, and went into debt. In her original blog, she was quite explicit that this incident is what caused the Poverty (later, of course, the Poverty was retconned to have begun literally the second she left the Fire Service).

She allegedly had her benefits cut suddenly in 2013 after signing a book deal, as the evil Tories in the local office decided this meant she was rich. Incidentally, at this time, she was working full-time as a trainee reporter at the Southend Echo. This cut led to her having to move into a houseshare and sleep on a mattress on the floor leaving behind bags of tit in her old flat.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 52
I remember her saying that she had to ask her publishers to pay the advance quickly because her benefits were stopped as soon as it was announced that she had the book deal. She was living in a flat share with 5 other people at that time according to her

duck knows tbh. She just gets on my effing nerves because there are people in my area like so many others in the UK who live in poverty daily and they don’t act like her.

Also. Who did she vote for in 2017? There was an interview with her and Allegra a couple of years previously in the independent I think where she point blank refused to say who she had voted for in the general election.
I’m pretty sure the dwp don’t make changes to benefit payments by looking at your social media and guessing what your income is. I have to tell them my income and business costs every month or else I get nothing.

• Heart
Reactions: 42
I was loaded on tax credits when I was a single mum 10 years ago. Probably better off then I am now working full time 🤣

• Wow
Reactions: 22
One thing that is really annoying is Jack saying "oh, I'll just go and work as <insert occupation>" all the time.

It is possible to attempt any job, but to be good at a job is very hard. We have a wide range of jobs in the canal, yet Jack seems to think any of them would be easier, less stressful, better paid than whatever she does.

It winds me up - I've worked hard over the years to be good at my job, to learn new things to be even better at it. I am constantly trying to improve instead of thinking yeah, completed it mate. I don't know if it's just me this annoys?

Ultimately, I don't think there are many jobs Jack could walk into right now, and probably none that would pay enough to keep up with the lifestyle / rent. She's all but made herself unemployable outside the media / influencer type work.

• Heart
Reactions: 48
Also. She got housing benefits didn’t she so she would have had at least some of her rent paid. So basically there was a shortfall in her rent I assume because her rent must have been higher than the amount housing benefits would pay for.

So basically. She was existing on the 250 quid a month from her business and when you took all her bills away it looks like she was living on 27 quid a month.

I don’t believe this for a second. You have a situation where your adult daughter is living on 27 quid a month and has a toddler and you do nothing. Yes I understand some families aren’t supportive but she said hers are. If they were so supportive where were they during the poverty?
According to a scurrilous poster on the Sarfend Echo Jack got the rent paid direct, never paid the landlord and potentially left behind carrier bags full of excrement, rather than use the toilet
Justice for Iqbal!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 31
Push back from a non-white winger. Good numbers so far

EC866712-B06A-42FB-9F6C-EAD56E17792C.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 67
According to a scurrilous poster on the Sarfend Echo Jack got the rent paid direct, never paid the landlord and potentially left behind carrier bags full of excrement, rather than use the toilet
Justice for Iqbal!
I missed the bags of poop story …. Anyone got a screenshot ? Sorry to be annoying but I’m gutted I missed this. ETA: not a literal screenshot of said bags.. of the comment made 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 30
This from a former columnist at the Big Issue and Libertarian publication Spiked
88DA79A1-5B66-4784-A30E-3272993592DD.jpeg

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 133
Great - just great. More right-wingers attacking Jack. Again bolstering her reputation amongst the blue-tick 'left'.

• Sad
Reactions: 33
View attachment 1263455

I do wish Jack would stop quoting Maya Angelou, like she in any way resembles her. Angelou was an intelligent, talented, courageous woman who overcame great adversity in her life, remaining remarkably free of bitterness and crucially with her sense of humour intact. This made her an attractive and charismatic figure. In complete contrast Jack is an ageing spoiled brat throwing an extended and increasingly embarrassing tantrum because her rich parents won't buy her a house.
😂 Surely an abridged version of this has to be the thread title?!

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.