Jack Monroe #303 The lingering honk of burning martyr..

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
(CONTENT NOTE: the part after the spoiler also discusses overdoses in general but doesn't contain anything graphic or especially upsetting. I haven't spoiler tagged that part because the point is to make as many people aware as possible, but you may wish to skip this whole post if it's an especially sensitive topic for you.)

I have a friend who worked in a school where a Year 7 (age 11/12) pupil took a paracetamol overdose. She woke up the next morning feeling alright so came to school without telling anyone, but by later in the day she felt terrible and he ended up having to rush her to hospital in his own car while she was crying and screaming in pain. Very sadly it was too late and she died a few days later. Unsurprisingly my friend was still pretty fucked up about it for years afterwards.

The whole thing was over a boyfriend who'd broken up with her. I don't know the full circumstances of course and she may also have had other issues, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if in her mind she was just going to sleep for a few days and wake up in hospital with everyone making a fuss and the boy begging forgiveness. Instead it had the most tragic outcome imaginable.

I really think there needs to be much more awareness of just how dangerous a paracetamol overdose is, especially among children and teens, who are prone to impulsive actions and will usually be able to access pain more easily than other methods of self-harm or suicide. The fatal dose for some people is just three times the recommended dose, much lower than most readily available drugs, so accidental overdose is easy too if people aren't aware of the risks.

I was a smart and well educated teen and didn't know any of this until I was about 17, when a nurse visiting my school for something else got sidetracked into discussing paracetamol overdoses. She talked about how it can be a common choice as either an intended fatal overdose or a cry for help, because it's such an innocuous seeming drug and people assume it will send them painlessly to sleep when the reality couldn't be further from that. I still get sleepless nights thinking about how much worse some of my own episodes of the bad mentals in my 20s could have gone if she hadn't happened to mention it.

Please please please, if you have children make sure they're aware that a paracetamol overdose will kill you in a really horrible way if you don't get immediate medical assistance, and unlike most easily available drugs it's absolutely not 'safe' to take a small overdose as a way to let people know you're struggling (obviously no overdose is actually safe but ykwim). Children and teens get a lot of "x is dangerous" advice from adults and much of it is exaggerated, so it's really, really important they know that in this case it's not.

Sorry, very tangential to Jack but this is one of my big soapbox topics and it was relevant to some of the earlier discussion.
Thank you for this - had no idea but it’s really useful. You’ll be able to spot a frau in the wild now as we’ll all be telling each other this fact!

On topic to Jack: don’t want anything that’s dropped off a chicken thanks 🤢

• Sick
Reactions: 25
I may be wrong, but didn’t she claim that the worst of the poverty was due to benefit delays? And because she’d gone viral and was in the news, her benefits kept getting stopped because they assumed she was being paid for tv appearances and things like that?

But also people have said she was on FB around the time, ignoring advice to put in a benefit claim as she wanted to work. So, ya know. Jack I guess.

Since her recipes are not technically food, perhaps her books should be moved to this section in WH Smith’s.

View attachment 1263727
Yes, her benefit tales are as contractictory and nonsensical as anything else she comes out with. I am reminded of this hilarious, classic Jack banger in which our plucky princess punches a wall as she performs 'poverty trauma' at a screening of I, Daniel Blake.

I think the memoir is a calculated duck you to Roadsidemum after she turned her down for the poverty essay collection (pure speculation your honour).
I cannot stand RSM but turning down Jack for no longer being poor is God tier trolling. Jack must have been RAGING.

• Haha
Reactions: 50
Yeah I remember when she first emerged the tale was that she wasn’t in receipt of benefits as she didn’t want the shame of her son knowing? “Mummy worked..” or some shite

• Wow
Reactions: 31
Can you imagine her actual memoir though? Every paragraph contradicting the one before it? A photo section full of WHO DAT? No words that mean what they really mean? I pity the copy editor.
The memoir old be in the format of the old "choose your own adventure" books. Readers would end up at chapter 1 very often. Round and round one would go, with no meaningful end

If Jack was an MP (as she threatens), what would she say about her MP salary?

• Haha
Reactions: 27
The memoir old be in the format of the old "choose your own adventure" books. Readers would end up at chapter 1 very often. Round and round one would go, with no meaningful end

Not enough

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Hold on a minute.

' The Income Support went on keeping me afloat, briefly, as did the Child Tax Credit'

This was around 2012, right? At that time, you were paid income support if you weren't working. Not tax credits, as they were only for those who were working 16+ hours a week, which was an automatic disqualification for IS. The income support amount incorporated a single person allowance, a child allowance and a lone parent premium. You also received child benefit with an extra amount in respect of a first/single child and automatically qualified for housing and council tax benefit. Somebody failing to tell tax credits that they were in receipt of income support (and vice versa) would have been committing benefit fraud in terms of IS, CTC, HB and CTB, resulting in benefits being stopped and a big bill to pay back.
Incorrect. Child Tax Credits was given to people either on Income Support or working, it’s Working Tax Credits that’s only for working people - it basically covered childcare costs. I know cos I was on both Income Support and then worked for a while.

• Heart
Reactions: 11

"All my expenses are perfectly legitimate" Justifying sideboards and spoons like that dude with his duck island did a few years back.

• Haha
Reactions: 31
Here we are. She was claiming WTC. Her rent costs were what seemed to be her biggest expense. None of that makes sense. She states that she scrimped on fuel but her fuel costs were 83 quid a month on average.

Ive never had an 83 quid fuel bill in my life. I know for some people that’s average and I also know you pay more if you are on a prepaid meter. But she hardly used fuel and her bills were 83 quid a decade ago? Make that make sense.
5 years ago I was in a 2 bed terrace on pre payment and during winter (I was there for 6 years) it was easily £20 a week for gas alone, and £35 a week for gas in the winters when it snowed a lot. The boiler in that house was older than me 🥴

My gas bill in my current house - 3 bed with an attic conversion has been £200 a MONTH every year since I moved in - a Direct Debit meter. Environmental Health discovered this was because my house has no insulation at all. None. The owner had put in the legal bare minimum before last winter but it made duck all difference and I feel really sorry for whoever rents this house next after April and October’s rises.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 24

I think she would say: 84k might sound alot but actually, when you break it down over the 200hrs she works a week she's basically working for less than the minimum wage.

• Haha
Reactions: 25
From her I, Daniel Blake comment piece in the Guardian: "I turned down the movie rights for my rags-to-book deal story in 2014, because I’m the lucky one. I felt the Hollywood treatment for “poor girl has hard time then it all gets better” would be an insult to the millions who don’t get to write about it in the Guardian afterwards".

Of course Jack elevenerifed I, Daniel Blake!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 41
5 years ago I was in a 2 bed terrace on pre payment and during winter (I was there for 6 years) it was easily £20 a week for gas alone, and £35 a week for gas in the winters when it snowed a lot. The boiler in that house was older than me 🥴

My gas bill in my current house - 3 bed with an attic conversion has been £200 a MONTH every year since I moved in - a Direct Debit meter. Environmental Health discovered this was because my house has no insulation at all. None. The owner had put in the legal bare minimum before last winter but it made duck all difference and I feel really sorry for whoever rents this house next after April and October’s rises.
I understand that but in the same article she said that she turned her heating off. She also said she turned the fridge off and that she unscrewed lightbulbs.

I’m not disputing that fuel bills can be costly particularly on a prepayment meter but if your heating is off and you unplug the fridge and you unscrew lightbulbs then how much fuel are you actually using? And we are talking 12 years ago now when fuel costs weren’t as high as they are now

Reactions: 20
One of Jack's oh so informed squigs shocked at the cost of Sunflower oil on her fried slice tweet. Do you know why squig or are you not interested in anything other than the vacuum of Tory rage?
Screenshot_20220513-151223_Twitter.jpg

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 38
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.