Jack Monroe #30 Heroic Jack back to save the day, what shall we eat with our venison paté?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think, after all this time we've all spent together, that I should confess a secret I have been habouring. I *REALLY* hate baked beans. They are awful and one of the only foodstuffs that make me slightly gip whenever I smell them.
This revelation is equally if not more upsetting than when I found out my older son (who I thought was vegan) loves to tuck into seafood whenever he's' over at his friend's house. But just as I still love my son just as much as I did before mussel-gate, your hatred of beans shall not separate us.

• Haha
Reactions: 25
It's funny back before i became a full time carer to our eldest. (Dunno if anyone else is a registered carer it's crap money.)
I worked in nurseries with some of the most hideous women I've ever met
They were nasty people. But i had to put up with it..... As it was work

Reactions: 9
I find it amazing what these people describe as hell. Their lives must be truly blessed. Honestly, I can't get worked up about some posh knob slagging off convenience food. Who cares?

I can get worked up about bad school and hospital meals, poverty that leads to living conditions that make it hard to even make a simple jacket potato and beans (dinner of the gods, as we all know), living in one of the worlds biggest economies and people not having enough to feed themselves healthily. The whole food industry and what it does to us as a society.

We had a discussion about this many threads ago (this is how I now measure time), but there are lots of great local projects, food producers, etc. that deserve our support. When I'm not reading here, writing here or solving crimes, I'm forever looking up links that have been shared here about all sort of phenomenal things.

I can recommend https://hodmedods.co.uk/ for British pulses and grains. They are on a mission to grow plant protein in Essex and some other counties to supply the growing demand. Most of it is organic, all of it is delicious. The food miles and environmental impact are about as minimal as you can get for protein. They are now striving to become plastic free.

I wish Jack was a Yodel delivery driver. They can never find me - but I'm sure she could.
This is great. I'm not in the UK, but where I live, I used to work in a very deprived neighbourhood...lots of drugs, crime, extreme poverty, etc. Most people living there are from a minority group that is famous for not voting, so politicians ignore them and people say "ah well they don't want to be part of our society." It's honestly a scandal, and one that is seen across Europe.

A few groups have set up projects in the neighbourhood - education, vocational training (most residents don't finish high school) and so on. One of the most interesting is a fruit and veg shop that sells misshapen produce for incredibly low prices. They get the fruit and veg from farmers in the region, stuff that wouldn't fit supermarket standards, and sell it on. It's an excellent way of getting fresh, seasonal, high quality local fruit and veg to people living in a really tit situation.

I'm sure there must be similar groups in the UK who could be highlighted. There are so many interesting and inspiring things happening in the world of food, and none of them involve rinsing spaghetti hoops.

Reactions: 23
It's funny back before i became a full time carer to our eldest. (Dunno if anyone else is a registered carer it's crap money.)
I worked in nurseries with some of the most hideous women I've ever met
They were nasty people. But i had to put up with it..... As it was work
So funny, I haven’t worked in them but in every experience i’ve had with nurseries they’ve 99% been intimidating bitchy types (to meek little mouse me). Yet the kids adore them. But yes, you’re right, it’s a job, you suck it up. Unless it’s illegal harrassment, obvs.

Reactions: 9
I think, after all this time we've all spent together, that I should confess a secret I have been habouring. I *REALLY* hate baked beans. They are awful and one of the only foodstuffs that make me slightly gip whenever I smell them.
I don’t like them either! I hadn’t had them in well over a decade and decided to try them recently Ish, I just found the taste so chemically and fake, I love all other legumes though

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
I am glad she had finally realised what people have been telling her for weeks. Twitter is not a nice place if your sensitive and a bit controversial. I knock it on the end if I was her and stick to her blog. She can have a q and a section for those people who apparently need her on tap.

Reactions: 10
Good for Jack and good for us Hausefraus, it does make it easier to keep up with the chat when she isn‘t dropping semi nude photos, political bandwagoning, general lies, larder nonsense etc etc
Yes i’m pleased. Long may it last. Err.....thursday? Tomorrow?

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Me too. Calmer heads prevail. Although the horrid comment was on instagram, so let’s hope hellmanns don’t push her ad too much and she doesn’t check the comments. At least aside from a throwaway comment she has stopped pretending we’re seconds away from doorstepping her.
Twitter is too instant for anybody who opens their mouth before engaging their brain - all it takes is Ctrl-Enter and it's out there, whereas Insta requires an image or filming - even comments have to be added to a particular thing, rather than just typed in a frenzy, sent and then hastily deleted. It's a far better choice, as that slight delay, whilst it doesn't completely stop idiotic statements (hell, that's 95% of this entire site's source), it at least reduces their incidence.

I've had my first 'I know my kid is only getting 6 hours of schooling this term and they've missed months due to the plague, but we really fancy an overseas holiday whilst it's cheap, so can you completely rejig the timetables for 180 kids to accommodate our flights, please? It would make our kid very happy to sit on a beach and swim in the sea' message today.

It's very fortunate that work is not conducted upon Twitter.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 16
I honestly think the last straw for Jack was humiliating herself with talking about dead Viviennne Westwood.....

Thing is normal people would banter it off!

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Am I the only one that is a bit mystified?

JMs Twitter responses are overwhelmingly fawning and supportive. If she gets dodgy DMs that is easy to fix. I don’t think any person of any note has DMs open. I often see “pls follow so I can DM you” on other peoples threads so help can be requested without opening yourself up to abusive DMs. Plus, as has already been pointed out, she has been back on at least twice, according to her “likes”, so she is still exposing herself to the DMs. Plus, the block tactic is there, of course, for public messaging of dodgy folk. I genuinely don’t understand this “Twitter is a cesspit/racist/horrible place”.

I would (and have, 5 years ago) ditch Facebook and Insta before Twitter. I did set up an anonymous, throwaway Insta feed about 6 months ago for the purposes of following garden & cooking tips, and bands I like. I think, the point I want to make is, it’s so easy to keep the nice and ditch the crap.

I would also like to voice my support for the “Real problems exist, and are far worse than some random calling you out on the internet”.

• Heart
Reactions: 18

JMs Twitter responses are overwhelmingly fawning and supportive. If she gets dodgy DMs that is easy to fix. I don’t think any person of any note has DMs open. I often see “pls follow so I can DM you” on other peoples threads so help can be requested without opening yourself up to abusive DMs. Plus, as has already been pointed out, she has been back on at least twice, according to her “likes”, so she is still exposing herself to the DMs. Plus, the block tactic is there, of course, for public messaging of dodgy folk. I genuinely don’t understand this “Twitter is a cesspit/racist/horrible place”.

I would (and have, 5 years ago) ditch Facebook and Insta before Twitter. I did set up an anonymous, throwaway Insta feed about 6 months ago for the purposes of following garden & cooking tips, and bands I like. I think, the point I want to make is, it’s so easy to keep the nice and ditch the crap.

I would also like to voice my support for the “Real problems exist, and are far worse than some random calling you out on the internet”.
It is a complete insult to anyone with real problems, does she think being called out on twitter for tit she’s said is akin to having a loved one day of Covid or fleeing your country because of war, for example ? Both JM and ruby tan doe are absurdly self centred and as much as they claim to be woke seem to have no idea about their level of priveledge. That tweet from her someone posted sounds like she is bitter about being sacked rather than quitting imo

Reactions: 13
Also, forgot to add, I am genuinely interested in her £15 school dinners selection. I am curious, after making a big deal about e.g. turning off her empty fridge and not using her cooker for fear of running out of electric, just how she will adapt poverty stricken use of fifteen quid to make five delicious and nutritious lunches that store at ambient temperature and have a reasonable shelf life....that also take into account cultural and veggie choices and include the cost of dispatch or delivery method.

Not easy, is it Jack?

(PS - I know not ALL FSM recipients will be in above grinding poverty situation but a fair proportion will be - my brother just had his Universal Credit approved after losing his job - it’s about £400 a month and some help for his Council Tax (but not his mortgage, just a loan for his interest payments....I am dumbfounded at the situation and we are all helping him, but we, and he, are lucky to be able to.....thousands are now in extreme poverty in the blink of an eye).

Reactions: 20
Wasn't the 'bleep' message on Facebook? Is she still on there?

Just had a quick scroll. The male version Face App photo was deleted, as was the first Vivienne Westwood dress photo where she was slouched forward on the sideboard (the tank story tweet remains).

So basically, now she's quit Twitter, we can look forward to more sideboard photos on insta.

• Haha
Reactions: 15

JM keeps her DMs open because they are a lifeline to people in need. Or some tit.

• Haha
Reactions: 23
She's updated her Twitter bio. I realise this isn't interesting but it's eight hours until the Insta live so we have to take what we can 🤷🏼‍♀️

Screenshot_2020-06-23_102709_1.jpg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.