Jack Monroe #30 Heroic Jack back to save the day, what shall we eat with our venison paté?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I would love to see jack and ruby do a show together it would just be a competition to who could out woe is me who

• Haha
Reactions: 20
She's been through a phase of sending only scheduled tweets in the past. I'll be surprised if it lasts. It was quite annoying last time because it filled my timeline with a load of tit I'd never eat 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Can I just say, #notanad, that for those with dark hair and fair skin a Phillips Lumea is bloody life changing wrt body hair. I asked for one for Christmas, and my bemused partner got me one (while I think suspecting it was snake oil and mirrors, but humouring me cos he's a soppy, lovely, dear man) and I have used it fairly regularly, especially since lockdown, and it has dealt with my fairly distressing chin/neck hair situation (that I used to have to shave every day). Also been using it on my legs and I probably only have to shave them every couple of weeks now and that's just to get rid of a few hairs here and there. I don't normally do much beauty stuff, but my neck used to really upset me. Cannot recommend it enough.
Oh @Flumps, do you work for Google? Have you triangulated my IP à la Jack?! I’ve had my eye on one of these for ages and have done so much research, but now with a fellow hausfrau’s blessing I think I’ll have to take the plunge. How many treatments did it take for you to get to your current level? Have you got high contrast skin and hair?

It’s v expensive which is what has made me hesitate but I’m trying to justify it by reasoning that it’ll be invaluable for a day-two gruffalo lady (that’s me...)
Also I don’t spend money on any other beauty treatments
Honestly I’m hoping it’ll be life changing as currently my shaving routine is like trying to paint the Forth Rail Bridge and it’s Summer and I’m BUSY
(Probably should have bought one in the Winter in that case, clearly Jack ‘Last Minute.com’ Monroe is rubbing off on me!)

• Heart
  • Haha
So she’s put another tweet up but it’s just a recipe for banana peel ketchup 🤢 - hilariously Twitter has offered to “translate” this.
It looks to me like there has been an intervention by her management, given that she obviously can’t cope with Twitter and was single-handedly destroying what’s left of her career. So it will just be bland tweets of recipes from now on. (If she sticks to it, of course).
Still no news of that big announcement she was on about. Or, for that matter, about her hugely important work for black food writers and cooks.
I’d forgotten I subscribed to her blog so received this in my inbox today.

The first paragraph is an eyeroller. Surely there’s more than 2 food shops in Edinburgh?

We also get a ‘sloppy’ in the recipe and this which makes me doubt if impetuous means what I think it means.

“Turn the heat down a fraction, and cook for a few minutes until the banana mixture starts to bubble and spit at you. Impetuous, I know, but that’s how you know things are happening.”

• Haha
Reactions: 14
‘Monroe is me’ ‘Tandoh is me’

Like Celebrity Deathmatch. But tit.
This would be good for part of the new title 😂 god knows we’ll need one before tonight’s tit show

I’d forgotten I subscribed to her blog so received this in my inbox today.

The first paragraph is an eyeroller. Surely there’s more than 2 food shops in Edinburgh?

We also get a ‘sloppy’ in the recipe and this which makes me doubt if impetuous means what I think it means.

“Turn the heat down a fraction, and cook for a few minutes until the banana mixture starts to bubble and spit at you. Impetuous, I know, but that’s how you know things are happening.”

It reminds me of my work ( I’m an English teacher ) and students just throw in words that are false friends from their own language in totally the wrong context 😂

• Haha
Oh @Flumps, do you work for Google? Have you triangulated my IP à la Jack?! I’ve had my eye on one of these for ages and have done so much research, but now with a fellow hausfrau’s blessing I think I’ll have to take the plunge. How many treatments did it take for you to get to your current level? Have you got high contrast skin and hair?

It’s v expensive which is what has made me hesitate but I’m trying to justify it by reasoning that it’ll be invaluable for a day-two gruffalo lady (that’s me...)
Also I don’t spend money on any other beauty treatments
Honestly I’m hoping it’ll be life changing as currently my shaving routine is like trying to paint the Forth Rail Bridge and it’s Summer and I’m BUSY
(Probably should have bought one in the Winter in that case, clearly Jack ‘LastMinute.com’ Monroe is rubbing off on me!)

Mwah-ha-hah etc.

For my neck and chin (the bit that really bothered me, and what I *really* wanted it for, though that did seem a lot of money per square skin inch as it were), I think it took about 6/7 treatments to get to the point where I rarely had to shave (class act me). I had very coarse/thick hair there. Even then, hair wasn't really visible, but I could feel it and it makes me paranoid. I let it drop for a bit, because life stuff, but now I'm back doing it regularly (probably another 6 treatments), it's even less now and I'm pretty sure if I keep going I will be left with a few white chin hairs which I can happily tweeze out if I can be bothered, afraid it's all the look of the thing for me. Same for my moustache (though that was really only the corners that were ever a problem).

Legs I think were so much better after 2/3 treatments and it take *ages* for the hair to grow back now. I did leave them for a few months and it started to regrow a bit more but 1/2 treatments and it's mostly gone again, apart from the odd bit which I suspect is me just missing spots.

The forearm I can do was only 1/2 treatments and it takes ages for hair to grow back there now and so sparse and fine that I mostly ignore it (see lazy).

Underarms I haven't done yet, but I assume would work as well as the rest.

It's really easy to do. I stick something nice on TV and do it after I've showered and shaved and skin is completely dry. It takes a few mins to do chin/neck - with a bit of fiddling to get the right skin contact and I am very thorough about it there. Probably about 5 mins per leg. So about 15 minutes in all. It doesn't hurt, just feels warm. Occasionally there's a little stab of sensation, but I think that's if I didn't shave close enough and there's a bit of hair still there that burns off. Still not *painful* so don't let that put you off. Plus you may be a more thorough shaver than me.

I am not a beauty treatments person either but the neck/chin stuff really did bother me. Either horrible hair or quite often a shaving rash, and now I have neither. For me, just because of how much it bothered me (I'm not normally a vain person, but a beard really didn't suit me), it's been worth every single penny (though admittedly not my pennies, but I would have happily spent them).

I was doubtful it would work, but desperate to try anyway, and it surpassed my expectations by miles.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Can I just say, #notanad, that for those with dark hair and fair skin a Phillips Lumea is bloody life changing wrt body hair. I asked for one for Christmas, and my bemused partner got me one (while I think suspecting it was snake oil and mirrors, but humouring me cos he's a soppy, lovely, dear man) and I have used it fairly regularly, especially since lockdown, and it has dealt with my fairly distressing chin/neck hair situation (that I used to have to shave every day). Also been using it on my legs and I probably only have to shave them every couple of weeks now and that's just to get rid of a few hairs here and there. I don't normally do much beauty stuff, but my neck used to really upset me. Cannot recommend it enough.
Ooh, I bought one last year when it was on sale at Boots and then stopped after two uses because it was such a weird, uncomfortable feeling. I was trying it on my bikini line though, so maybe I should start on my legs to get used to it. It's been one of my most regretted purchases and has been sat there on my shelf mocking me for months now! Thanks for the nudge though – must give it another try.

On another note, has anyone here ever tried laser removal? (The proper laser stuff, not IPL). This is only vaguely on topic thanks to Jack's legs in the Viv pic, soz guys!

Reactions: 6
Hello Hausfraus! I for one am glad she's stopped tweeting as it's given me an opportunity to catch up with the thread.

Also thank you @Dustye for the extra strong tea on Sunday eve. Most refreshing 😁.

I live there and can confirm that we do indeed have more than 2 food shops. Who'd have thought, right?

• Haha
Ooh, I bought one last year when it was on sale at Boots and then stopped after two uses because it was such a weird, uncomfortable feeling. I was trying it on my bikini line though, so maybe I should start on my legs to get used to it. It's been one of my most regretted purchases and has been sat there on my shelf mocking me for months now! Thanks for the nudge though – must give it another try.
I didn't find it bothered me at all on my legs, but haven't done bikini line, I think sensation might be a bit more noticeable there. The closer you shave (or wax, but they say wait 24 hours after waxing) the less you get any sort of uncomfortable feeling.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I didn't find it bothered me at all on my legs, but haven't done bikini line, I think sensation might be a bit more noticeable there. The closer you shave (or wax, but they say wait 24 hours after waxing) the less you get any sort of uncomfortable feeling.
Excellent, will give my legs a pop. Just read your earlier comment about being closely shaved so will bear that in mind.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
So I've read the blog and she's talking mince. Quelle surprise, I know.

Sainsburys local and Harvey Nicks food Hall are pretty much across the road from each other in the city centre. There are loads of other stores, restaurants, cafés and takeaways within 5 minutes walk so no idea why she's limited herself to those two.

Aside from that weirdness, who the hell goes food shopping in HN?!

• Haha
Reactions: 11
On another note, has anyone here ever tried laser removal? (The proper laser stuff, not IPL). This is only vaguely on topic thanks to Jack's legs in the Viv pic, soz guys!
Yes, for both hair and tattoos. For hair, it was relatively painless but unfortunately, not that successful for me as I have pretty severe PCOS and a few years later, I'm pretty much back to where I started. Apparently, laser isn't considered permanent and the only method of hair removal that is, is electrolysis. I'm currently having this under my chin and neck area (sounds the same as where @Flumps has been treating) and I'm definitely seeing long-term results from that. I have a friend who had almost her full body lasered for hair removal really successfully. She's a pale brunette with no hormonal issues.

Laser tattoo removal is the most painful thing I've ever experienced. So much so, that it's made me put my longer-term tattoo plans on hold :oops:

• Heart
Reactions: 7

Mwah-ha-hah etc.

For my neck and chin (the bit that really bothered me, and what I *really* wanted it for, though that did seem a lot of money per square skin inch as it were), I think it took about 6/7 treatments to get to the point where I rarely had to shave (class act me). I had very coarse/thick hair there. Even then, hair wasn't really visible, but I could feel it and it makes me paranoid. I let it drop for a bit, because life stuff, but now I'm back doing it regularly (probably another 6 treatments), it's even less now and I'm pretty sure if I keep going I will be left with a few white chin hairs which I can happily tweeze out if I can be bothered, afraid it's all the look of the thing for me. Same for my moustache (though that was really only the corners that were ever a problem).

Legs I think were so much better after 2/3 treatments and it take *ages* for the hair to grow back now. I did leave them for a few months and it started to regrow a bit more but 1/2 treatments and it's mostly gone again, apart from the odd bit which I suspect is me just missing spots.

The forearm I can do was only 1/2 treatments and it takes ages for hair to grow back there now and so sparse and fine that I mostly ignore it (see lazy).

Underarms I haven't done yet, but I assume would work as well as the rest.

It's really easy to do. I stick something nice on TV and do it after I've showered and shaved and skin is completely dry. It takes a few mins to do chin/neck - with a bit of fiddling to get the right skin contact and I am very thorough about it there. Probably about 5 mins per leg. So about 15 minutes in all. It doesn't hurt, just feels warm. Occasionally there's a little stab of sensation, but I think that's if I didn't shave close enough and there's a bit of hair still there that burns off. Still not *painful* so don't let that put you off. Plus you may be a more thorough shaver than me.

I am not a beauty treatments person either but the neck/chin stuff really did bother me. Either horrible hair or quite often a shaving rash, and now I have neither. For me, just because of how much it bothered me (I'm not normally a vain person, but a beard really didn't suit me), it's been worth every single penny (though admittedly not my pennies, but I would have happily spent them).

I was doubtful it would work, but desperate to try anyway, and it surpassed my expectations by miles.
Oh thank you, it sounds like a small miracle worker! I know everyone gets different results but yours sound more promising then some of the articles I read. I’ll be hairless as a Sphynx cat by the time I need to don my rinsed baked bean outfit and head off to court :m

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.