Jack Monroe #294 It's like 10,000 tweets when all you need is a life.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is amazing, she really is going to argue with people if they come back to her with a calorie count for whatever weight of ingredient she's written on her food diary by saying 'Only I know the recipes in granular detail'? It's madness.

View attachment 1222541
Weekly menu??! You did it once!! I simply cannot with her today hahaha

• Haha
Reactions: 32
To come back to Healthy Start Vouchers. I'd like her to explain her involvement in them. They were introduced in 2006 to replace a previous scheme. There was a lot of research and consulting of experts before they were introduced which would have taken some time. So what age was she in 2006 (apparently 18) what qualifications did she have other than 4.5 GCSEs? Such insight into child health and maternal well being at the age of 18 is pretty incredible. How did she know who to approach with this amazing idea?
I was claiming the old Healthy Starts in 2010, before she’d ever even met dear heart ‘H’ aka Henry Dimbleby (via Leggy)

• Haha
Reactions: 26
Didn't she literally say her supper portion wasn't big enough, so she had to have a sandwich and crisps in bed?

I'm in the process of attempting to lose some weight so I track my food intake, energy expenditure, go to the gym etc. I am absolutely 100% convinced that I eat (quite considerably) more calories than she does every day, plus I go to the gym every week day, and I'm losing weight. I walk fewer steps than she does, and have a fairly sedentary job, but I do cardio, lift weights, and swim.

Taking into account general metabolic differences etc. etc., riddle me how I can be over a decade older than Jack, eat more, walk less, sit more, and still be losing weight? Once again, we're faced with two explanations:

(1) Jack has an serious problem with understanding portion size, calorie content etc. and I'm genuinely worried for her son, if that's the case;
or
(2) Jack eats more than she puts on the stupid meal plan and she's lying.

For my own mental health, I'm choosing to believe it's 2.

• Heart
Reactions: 53
I cannot get over 'I don't count the calories but if I did I'm sure it would be fine' from a food expert proposing ultra cheap dishes.
Its astounding.
So I just did a very quick, crude spreadsheet calculation based on her meal planner for Saturday and Sunday, just to double check how ‘plentiful’ the portions/calories are.

I have guessed a couple of ingredients/amounts but I have based the majority on what she has previously detailed as her ‘portion sizes’ - I have been generous with the spaghetti and used calculations of 75g per person, although I know she usually only quotes about 40g p/p?

Even allowing for a 30% adjustment in the total calorie count to allow for any ingredients I haven’t included etc as I don’t have her actual recipes, the totals are still shocking.

Anyway - I’ll leave this here…..

Edited to say: I know there are much smarter Fraus on here than me, so if anyone wants to check my workings - please feel free!! ❤

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 62
It's 12.09pm on Tuesday, and this shite comprises WORK?

Reactions: 30
I don’t know much about eating disorders but I would be surprised if eating tubs of coronation chicken with your bare hands is symptomatic of anorexia.

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 31
The severe eating disorder for much of adolescence is BS, right?
Because I’m sure that would have been disclosed and monetised before??
Edited to add - is this another ‘mum and dad were too concerned with the ferals’ dig?
You do have to wonder what on earth went on in that house. EDs are complex things and can happen within perfectly happy families. However coupled with Jack's claim that her parents chose to withhold a diagnosis of autism from her and then failed to notice that she was "living rough", forced to sell all her possessions and engaged in sex work for two years whilst caring for her first child, it's not painting a great picture of her family.

I honestly don't know how one or both of Jack's parents haven't snapped and given their side of it.

• Heart
Reactions: 60
This is amazing, she really is going to argue with people if they come back to her with a calorie count for whatever weight of ingredient she's written on her food diary by saying 'Only I know the recipes in granular detail'? It's madness.

View attachment 1222541
I’ve used calorie counting apps a few times in my life.

It is very straightforward to add homemade recipes by weight/item. To log a day’s eating takes the same time as turning an Easter egg box inside out.

• Haha
Reactions: 52
This is bonkers, it's meant to be a defence of her weekly shop and the tiny portions it makes and it ends with her being set alight in a portakabin.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 151
I don’t come on here often but just seen her tweets regarding anorexia. I seriously hope she’s genuine in that story as people seriously suffer with that horrible horrible disease. Any form of disordered eating can destroy your life. I’m only dubious because it’s not been mentioned before? Unless I missed it.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 36
So she was training as a firefighter? But then got pregnant and then couldn't continue as a call handler cos reasons? What??

• Haha
Reactions: 48
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.