Jack Monroe #291 What about the price of hummus?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yes. Me too. Even though I know it's manipulation I still feel awful because I've been through certain things that mean I know how it feels to be in a certain place and I will always feel sympathy for that, before I have time to question the truth of it.

Hard agree. Like lots of us I have a history (and present tbh) of spotty mental health, self harm, therapy and some fun diagnoses. It's only my relative anonymity here that means I'm prepared to discuss it, as I don't ever want my daughter to know how bad things got at points because she was part of my life then. Probably the reason I'm still here is that there was just enough left of me when things were bad that thought I knew how bad it would be for my daughter if I wasn't.

I no longer think, I now know, how bad it would have been, because her dad died last year (not suicide, but tbh not far off, just a slow version involving alcohol). We weren't together any more and he was a very non-resident parent, she rarely saw him, but it was utterly devastating for her. I don't have the words for the pain she's been through as a kid losing a parent or really the emotional strength to explain how heartbreaking it has been for all of us who love her (and his other kids, though they are technically grown up now). It's been a lot, though, and Jack, if you grunk and look under this spoiler, then please stop using topics like this to deflect, and please stop writing things about suicide and parental death where your son can read them (and you've said he does read your Twitter). I've been through a lot of hard things, a lot of them on my own, and this one, even with plenty of support, has been the hardest. My ex left a trail of destruction through his childrens' lives with his way of life (always focused on him and his needs and his problems and his worse than everyone else's life) and his horrible death. Think on, please. Grow up. It's not all about you anymore.

Sorry everyone. That was a lot. I'm a bit triggered (which is on me for reading things I shouldn't, I know) I'm probably going to sit in the garden for a bit now.
Sending you lots of love and kind thoughts. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us, I hope it was helpful to get some of it out. I'm so sorry Jack has triggered you, I'm yet again absolutely disgusted with how she's handled a sensitive topic. I hope you and your daughter are coping as well as anyone can in such awful circumstances. She's lucky to have a parent as compassionate and sensible as you ❤

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 50
spoiler about suicide

just wanted to say that I’ve lost someone to suicide and she hasn’t upset me tonight but I am very sorry for any others on here affected by her who she has upset. She is a bleep

• Heart
Reactions: 60
This just sent me over to ravelry, where I found a whole serious of posts from my estranged mother talking about how awful I was. And many, many tragic stories of being hit by mountain bikes whilst being a humble pedestrian. Reminded me of falling under a train level of story telling
O/T: after GOMI and reddit blogsnark got weird, but before Sali sent me to Tattle, I used to scratch my witch itch on Ravelry's rubberneckers, highly recommended drama critics but the threads can be quite slow moving
On topic: are the lights on/off cycles getting shorter and more frantic? The pinballing between "whee, matching mugs" and extremely graphic triggering tweetstorms has been quite the ride today, but it feels like this has been the pattern for the last week. Loyal squigs must all have whiplash

Reactions: 40
Fgs she's gone back to the war years, alright Dickens tell us more?!
I was listening in my sick bed earlier, whilst my kids where in school to a crime podcast where a girl who always had to be the centre of attention did things purely for attention this included things like attempting to take their life and hurting themselves. Even in the interview room they cried everytime the interviewers left because they stopped giving her attention. It's awful to say it but I think this is it boils down to, no one ever pays her the attention she NEEDS!
Is it too off topic to ask what the podcast is? Sounds imeresting and I'm also bored in my sick bed

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Jack is comprised of 50% wrath? But how can this be? For wrath is a sin and Jack has only recently reminded us what a devout Sunday school teacher she was! She was out-Christianing JRM mere days ago.

I can't bear to focus any more on that horrible triggery thread so I'm going to be slightly pedantic about something that often irritates me about Jack's lovely recipes. All the mentions of hiding/smuggling/disguising* vegetables and whatnot in her meals. Firstly, why does she insist on making SB sound like a toddler? Secondly, being dishonest with people about what's in their food is dangerous because allergies exist. I know Jack probably knows if SB has any allergies and will cook accordingly so he isn't at risk, but she's tweeting this advice to almost half a million people without ever acknowledging this. We know some squigs take Jack's word as gospel so there may well be a few who end up putting people at risk because they think hiding ingredients must be what true culinary mavericks do. As someone with allergies it really dries my orange peel!

*🥕 obviously knows this is the JM thread because it changed that to disgusting

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 48
Any adult who is still bragging about their reading age at 5 knows deep down that they haven’t got much going for them in reality (and/or is just a massive narcissist…)
actually I still low key brag that I could read when I was 2. I can’t remember it but my mum can but exactly that. I don’t have much else going for me 🤣

apparently when I was two my uncle was driving past an esso garage and I pointed to it and said Esso

edited to add. I might have been more of a child genius than Jack but I’m less of a twit 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
86th out of 400 pupils ✅
Reading age of a seven year old at just five years old ✅
Being a prick ✅
Neither her reading age or her 11 plus outcome are exceptional, but they suggest she had potential which she completely squandered. I’m sure I’ve said this before but the fact that she did this shows she didn’t need education as a route out of poverty because she wasn’t poor and she knew her comfortably off parents would support her whatever. Which is exactly what happened when her dad got her a well paid job as a call handler.

• Heart
Mega OT ...but... I was in the co.op yesterday in Jack's second home...and a lady in front of me in the queue didn't have enough money for her shopping

The guy behind her stepped forward, bought 20 fags and said "put that on my card too".

It was so... discreet and non showy and kind. He paid for all her stuff along with his tabs. So adorable.

Oh, and Jack's a twit

• Heart
Reactions: 96
Mega OT ...but... I was in the co.op yesterday in Jack's second home...and a lady in front of me in the queue didn't have enough money for her shopping

The guy behind her stepped forward, bought 20 fags and said "put that on my card too".

It was so... discreet and non showy and kind. He paid for all her stuff along with his tabs. So adorable.

Oh, and Jack's a twit
I bet his smoker fingernails were cleaner than Jack’s too!

• Haha
Reactions: 31
Neither her reading age or her 11 plus outcome are exceptional, but they suggest she had potential which she completely squandered. I’m sure I’ve said this before but the fact that she did this shows she didn’t need education as a route out of poverty because she wasn’t poor and she knew her comfortably off parents would support her whatever. Which is exactly what happened when her dad got her a well paid job as a call handler.
Yep, I work with kids 🔺 and it's a rule of thumb for me to try not to label them (for ex, "you enjoy maths more than science" would work better than "you're better at maths"; "you're doing good work" would be better than "you're bright" etc); some kids aren't bothered, but for others, labels can lead to a fixed mindset about their work and potential. Growth mindset for adults leads to chasing up opportunities, not getting stuck on past times you got labelled as bright or not... (coughjmcough)

• Heart
Reactions: 53
So I'm a frau with a long history of mental illness, and I have a small daughter. I'm open about my mental health but I don't think I would ever openly put online that I was going to unalive myself while my child was a toddler and I'm apparently only still here because of... She didn't give a reason did she? Surely she would have drowned had she fallen asleep in the water? What pills did she take? How many? Urgh, anyway...

There are ways to be open with your mental health, and there are things to keep private to protect your son. This was one of them.
Could not agree with this more. If she wanted to raise the topic of how serious the impact of austerity can be in terms of mental health, then the most beneficial way to go about that imo is to signpost to a variety of charities/services who can help. And if she was to say that things got bad for her, then that might help someone find the courage to pick up the phone.

But I fail to see how some more self-centred performative bollocks helps anyone - especially when only days ago she told us her 12-year-old son reads her Twitter.

• Heart
  • Sad
This just sent me over to ravelry, where I found a whole serious of posts from my estranged mother talking about how awful I was. And many, many tragic stories of being hit by mountain bikes whilst being a humble pedestrian. Reminded me of falling under a train level of story telling
I am so sorry, that wasn't my intention to cause upset at all. I hope you are OK.

• Heart
Reactions: 39

Oh, and Jack's a twit
I once saw something like that going slightly awry but with a happy ending. A woman a bit short for shopping, man behind her steps forward and starts counting out change, mutters "sorry, hen I can't make it", then turns round and says "has anyone got 20p". Never have so many purses opened so quickly. I may have had something in my eye leaving the shop.

• Heart
Reactions: 62
O/T: after GOMI and reddit blogsnark got weird, but before Sali sent me to Tattle, I used to scratch my witch itch on Ravelry's rubberneckers, highly recommended drama critics but the threads can be quite slow moving
On topic: are the lights on/off cycles getting shorter and more frantic? The pinballing between "whee, matching mugs" and extremely graphic triggering tweetstorms has been quite the ride today, but it feels like this has been the pattern for the last week. Loyal squigs must all have whiplash
100% agree. I thought this a couple of threads ago - she's cycling much faster since the famous days of DKL. Rehab and therapy has not helped. WHy doesn't her mum and dad step in? Have they ever?

• Heart
Reactions: 40
I’ve never been in that situation seeing someone struggling to pay for their shopping but if that ever did happen to me I would pay for it in a heartbeat.

100% agree. I thought this a couple of threads ago - she's cycling much faster since the famous days of DKL. Rehab and therapy has not helped. WHy doesn't her mum and dad step in? Have they ever?
exactly this

she’s on two chaoses a week by my reckoning

tbh why should they step in. She’s 34 and I bet she’s awful to them too

I understand what you are saying but she’s an adult.

What can they do? Send her to rehab? Take her phone off her? She’s all the person she’s ever going to be

the person who should be concerned the most is her sons dad

• Heart
Reactions: 39
I'm a very long time lurker, have posted a couple of times but had to change my username as too close to my twitter name.

I just spotted this comment on the advert below.... sorry if it's been post before i can't keep up with the threads!!
Screenshot_20220421-210720_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20220421-210728_Facebook.jpg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 72
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.