Jack Monroe #29

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just caught up again and thought I’d have a look at the lockdown larder hashtag.

Someone has tweeted a photo of a bunch of bananas. How can you not know what to do with bananas?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 34
Actual pipe down Jack. What has YOUR life got to do with the free food people are receiving. Yes in an ideal world people would be getting fresh food and veg and lots of it. But we are in the middle of a pandemic. In Scotland I believe every family gets 20 pounds per school age child. At first people were told they could only spend them in corner shops but I think that’s changed now.

In my area people are getting meals. A choice of two hot meals and a veggie option. Over and above the extra cash and when the meals run out it’s a cheese sandwich. It’s not ideal but people are being fed.

Which is better than people not being fed fgs.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
She really does need to butt out. She's had zilch to do or say regarding this campaign, or school meals in general. Jumps in at last minute seeking a slice of the glory and attention.

Everything I've read that Marcus has said in this campaign has been put across really well, well thought out, fair points said in a strong way. Noone needs her spouting off all over Twitter, threatening to get crappy with people that disagree with her over it. It's just baiting the far right is it not? And creating a drama which detracts from the good work that has been done.
The contrast is stark isn't it? Marcus Rashford seems to have gone into everything in a positive way. He may have disagreed with policy, but he didn't start furiously shouting about 'people coming at him', he made contacts and got on with the business of changing things, using his platform cleverly and skillfully and generously. I haven't seen any sign of him bitching on the internet at anyone who's dared to disagree with him, or comments that sound like he assumes *everyone* else is a dick who needs to be shown the right way before he starts. He's just influenced and motivated and achieved brilliant things first locally then nationally. JM is embarrassing herself right now. I can't see how she can't see that. Like others have said, for god's sake, SIT DOWN, your way of doing this sucks.

• Heart
Reactions: 45
I’m more annoyed with the idiot who tagged her with what she would do with the stuff. Nobody cares.

As a side, she needs to get to duck. I have never seen someone so self obsessed trying to push themselves into someone else’s great work.
Think about it Jack in your maverick deluded little brain - this food can be stored at room temperature at a push, it’s easy to make food for the time conscious. It has some nutrition. Families don’t have three Smeg’s and a freezer to store their wares, it’s the basics to get a child fed what they would’ve had for school dinners.

Thank god she’s nowhere near in charge of the packs, we’d have tinned peaches, horse spunk in a pot, anchovies in mayo and a really long letter about her and her life and how she suffered for a few months on food banks.

Finally, thank you to everyone who said I’d helped with the food bank stuff and what to donate. I love I’ve made a tiny bit of difference and buying non budget brands means the person is more humanised than constant value range food. And people using food banks love treats too! Remember, older folk love tinned rice pudding and tinned fruit salad. So those are new things I’ve learned to have lots of for pensioners.

Something I asked a few years back when there was a volunteer from the food bank at the supermarket (I was all cross about Christmas Jumpers - utter braggy wank , spunking twenty quid on a 'hilarious' design bit of clothing that would be used no more than five times before being dumped at the time, so informed the twatty boss I wasn't going to take part because I was putting the equivalent value in the food bank that would be feeding the kids we were effectively laughing in the faces of with our spare cash and marched down there in a cloud of righteous indignation) was 'what about their pets?'.

I know people will say 'who cares, humans are more important?', but if you've got a person that desperate, chances are that tin of Tuna is going to go to their cat and they'll still go hungry.

They didn't know. I still don't know if there is anything to help pet owners in desperate circumstances - and it would be wicked to tell them 'just hand it over to the RSPCA'. Any ideas?

That gif is making me feel a little unwell 🤢😆

Best thing to make with bananas is Smitten Kitchen chocolate banana bread
When you're skint, I'd go for pancakes instead. Add selfraising flour and a splash of yoghurt/lemon juice/milk/whatever and stick in a pan until they puff up. And almost everybody likes pancakes.

• Heart
  • Sad
So glad you've mentioned Gurdwaras!!! The Sikh community are amazing in feeding people. Our local temple does food everyday during lockdown (am pretty sure they do all the time but they seem to have gone into overdrive at the mo x) Everyone is welcome, totally veggie and completely free.
Do you think JM will cotton on to this? no, not unless it gets 'trendy'

They do it all the time, it's called Langar. They offer a veggie meal to anyone, no matter you religion, creed, caste, ethnicity or economic status. It's always free. The Sikh community are great, the do so much. I once had a girl at my uni bring me in fresh samosas they had made that morning. I have never eaten anything so delicious in my life. I think about that samosa about once a month.

Something I asked a few years back when there was a volunteer from the food bank at the supermarket (I was all cross about Christmas Jumpers - utter braggy wank , spunking twenty quid on a 'hilarious' design bit of clothing that would be used no more than five times before being dumped at the time, so informed the twatty boss I wasn't going to take part because I was putting the equivalent value in the food bank that would be feeding the kids we were effectively laughing in the faces of with our spare cash and marched down there in a cloud of righteous indignation) was 'what about their pets?'.

I know people will say 'who cares, humans are more important?', but if you've got a person that desperate, chances are that tin of Tuna is going to go to their cat and they'll still go hungry.

They didn't know. I still don't know if there is anything to help pet owners in desperate circumstances - and it would be wicked to tell them 'just hand it over to the RSPCA'. Any ideas?

When you're skint, I'd go for pancakes instead. Add selfraising flour and a splash of yoghurt/lemon juice/milk/whatever and stick in a pan until they puff up. And almost everybody likes pancakes.

Our local dogs trust is taking donations and they are making up parcels. I think they are taking them directly to certain foodbanks. We've taken down some big bags of food. We tend to do that pre-covid. My daughter is dog obsessive. Last october she ran a mile every day (even after school hockey and sports) to raise £1k for them. They were so appreciative and had us down for a tour.

• Heart
Reactions: 39
Just caught up again and thought I’d have a look at the lockdown larder hashtag.

Someone has tweeted a photo of a bunch of bananas. How can you not know what to do with bananas?

More to the point, why are people buying stuff they don't know how to use? I saw someone had tweeted JM because they'd bought some banana blossom from Asda and had no idea what to do with it - which clearly hadn't stopped them picking it up from the shelf and paying for it...

• Haha
@TheDragonWithAFlagon you’re right, they definitely want and need pet food. They facilitate giving it to foodbank users under the Trussel Trust for sure. Anybody thinking of donating, they will always be grateful for things that fall outside of their remit - so treats, things like mince pies at Christmas and Easter eggs in spring. Toiletries, stock cubes and gravy powder, herbs, cupcake mixes. They give each person that comes in a designated list and amount for their household, but they will always chat and establish if they might need things like tampons, deodorant, or even dog food.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
@MarmiteExtract

Sautéing the onions on a lower heat for longer, cooking the onions before adding the mince, and simmering the bolognese for longer on a lower heat to take away some of the acidity, and make it slightly sweeter.

Child had seconds and kept thanking me 😂
Too late now, but also can I suggest addition of bacon, finely chopped rashers of smoked bacon, cooked with the onions. It's my anglicised substitute for pancetta that appears in a lot of traditional ragu recipes.

• Heart
Reactions: 12

As a dog lover, I am in the same bracket and would rather make sure a dog was fed rather than myself.

Where I volunteer, one of the women also volunteers for a charity called Stray Aid, I’m not sure if it’s local or national - and we’ve had a few few pet food/supplies donated. Anything received goes to Stray Aid and they distribute it. They are like the PDSA in rescuing stray/abandoned animals and helping families who can’t afford to feed or get the vetinary attention an animal may need.

When we have a list of houses which require a food parcel, I always keep some dog/cat food that I buy in the boot of my car and when I drop it off at their home I ask if they have any animals which need some food too. If they do then I run back and get some food for them and a packet of treats. I know I’m soft but it’s animals and I’d hate for any of them to go hungry. I’m aware there’s not someone who does what I do at every food bank though so I suggest the above paragraph and donating to a local pet charity - if you can’t do that then dropping in the pet food with your food bank donation and I’m sure it will be distributed well.

Also! Final point as I don’t want to preach. If it’s for pets don’t just buy tins of food. Buy a packet of tripe sticks for £1, we can split them up into bags of two for treats for the doggies, or some form of treat. Pets love treats just as much as humans!

• Heart
Reactions: 38
She doesn’t give a duck apart from what’s got the biggest media spotlight she can jump on, BLM, FSM, she just wants people to focus on Jack

Reactions: 24
A few weeks ago the price of fruit and veg was sky high but most supermarkets are doing really good deals. I am looking after a lovely old lady in my street who was desperate to go to M&S food hall (Id never shop there) so I took her last week and honestly even they had a range of budget fresh produce - it shocked me. At Tesco today they had so many offers on fresh produce I am wondering if there is now an oversupply.
I was shocked by the reduced fridge in Tesco the other day! It was absolutely rammed. I’m vegan but the amount of meat in there for nothing was astonishing. I think the dates have all gone to pot.

She really is a leech jumping on this movement, clearly wants in on Jamie O‘s “crusade” as she calls it. Seen an opportunity to showcase her slop and wants in.

Not to be a Jack, but I grew up with kids so poor they would eat chewing gum off the pavements in summer when it had melted because their mum was a mess (putting it lightly) and wouldn’t buy them sweets . Others in the area were nicknamed the ‘noodle kids’ because they were brought up on ramen that they’d cook themselves. You could give their parents the best fresh produce money could buy and £100 a day in vouchers and they still wouldn’t receive a nutritious meal. It’s those kids I worry about in all this. There’s too much point-scoring going on 🤬

• Sad
As a dog lover, I am in the same bracket and would rather make sure a dog was fed rather than myself.

Where I volunteer, one of the women also volunteers for a charity called Stray Aid, I’m not sure if it’s local or national - and we’ve had a few few pet food/supplies donated. Anything received goes to Stray Aid and they distribute it. They are like the PDSA in rescuing stray/abandoned animals and helping families who can’t afford to feed or get the vetinary attention an animal may need.

When we have a list of houses which require a food parcel, I always keep some dog/cat food that I buy in the boot of my car and when I drop it off at their home I ask if they have any animals which need some food too. If they do then I run back and get some food for them and a packet of treats. I know I’m soft but it’s animals and I’d hate for any of them to go hungry. I’m aware there’s not someone who does what I do at every food bank though so I suggest the above paragraph and donating to a local pet charity - if you can’t do that then dropping in the pet food with your food bank donation and I’m sure it will be distributed well.

Also! Final point as I don’t want to preach. If it’s for pets don’t just buy tins of food. Buy a packet of tripe sticks for £1, we can split them up into bags of two for treats for the doggies, or some form of treat. Pets love treats just as much as humans!

Thank you - I'd probably be soppy and chuck in a few catnip mice to be shared out as well.

My Furry Overlords have trained me well.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
Yes! This is my response to all those events that involve buying clothing/crap that is headed for the bin after the event. I always have to find a way to calml/politely explain why I won’t be buying and wearing said jumper, red nose, pyjamas, T-shirt. etc.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
My local Tesco has a donation bin to put pet food in. I would actually starve to feed my cats. I’m more worried about brexit for them than for me

I would say if you have a food bank donation point just give some pet food as well.

I’ve had loads of grief for having pets and being poor but I don’t care. I had cats when I was in work and all my cats are rescues and I’d go without to make sure they are looked after.

Just going to say. I’m a bit of an oddball when it comes to fruit. I don’t like bananas unless I bake banana bread. So I’m not the best person to advise on whether a banana recipe is rubbish or not.

But this is actually a banana microwaved with two squares of chocolate on top.

Sorry. But that gives me the actual boak.

(Sick for people who aren’t Scottish).

I would honestly drink a stock cube dissolved than this.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
I’m more annoyed with the idiot who tagged her with what she would do with the stuff. Nobody cares.

As a side, she needs to get to duck. I have never seen someone so self obsessed trying to push themselves into someone else’s great work.
Think about it Jack in your maverick deluded little brain - this food can be stored at room temperature at a push, it’s easy to make food for the time conscious. It has some nutrition. Families don’t have three Smeg’s and a freezer to store their wares, it’s the basics to get a child fed what they would’ve had for school dinners.
The other thing, and sorry if I missed someone else also saying it, is that some children (possibly even a lot of children) are incredibly fussy about food, because reasons. My daughter has had a very restricted diet at times. I know people say that they'll 'eat when they're hungry' but I tested that theory once or twice with her and I broke way before she did. That pack with the biscuits and sachets and stuff, I could have made meals out of that that she probably would have eaten at primary school age. It's all well and good to go on about ideal nutrition, but the reality is, sometimes you just want your kid to eat *something*. A pack full of interesting veg, most fresh meat, lentils etc would have been no use to me or her.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.