Jack Monroe #29

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was shocked by the reduced fridge in Tesco the other day! It was absolutely rammed. I’m vegan but the amount of meat in there for nothing was astonishing. I think the dates have all gone to pot.
I've been getting tesco deliveries, one week the fresh produce and meat was mostly use by that day, I had to throw some food out and stuff what I could into the freezer. I did get a part refund but when we are supposed to be self isolating, we can't just nip to the shop to pick up more bits. I noticed from the very start, when people were panic buying loo roll and pasta, everything was very short dated 🤔

• Wow
Reactions: 12
My local Tesco has a donation bin to put pet food in. I would actually starve to feed my cats. I’m more worried about brexit for them than for me

I would say if you have a food bank donation point just give some pet food as well.

I’ve had loads of grief for having pets and being poor but I don’t care. I had cats when I was in work and all my cats are rescues and I’d go without to make sure they are looked after.

Just going to say. I’m a bit of an oddball when it comes to fruit. I don’t like bananas unless I bake banana bread. So I’m not the best person to advise on whether a banana recipe is rubbish or not.

But this is actually a banana microwaved with two squares of chocolate on top.

Sorry. But that gives me the actual boak.

(Sick for people who aren’t Scottish).

I would honestly drink a stock cube dissolved than this.

I cannot go with that whole 'you're poor so you shouldn't have X/Y/Z'
Poor people shouldn't have TV's
Poor people shouldn't be able to smoke or drink.

Aye duck off whilst they sit in the dark and stare at the wall. People who have income problems are allowed to have pleasures in life too.

Anyhooo, that's a rant for another day

• Heart
Reactions: 48
I’m more annoyed with the idiot who tagged her with what she would do with the stuff. Nobody cares.

As a side, she needs to get to duck. I have never seen someone so self obsessed trying to push themselves into someone else’s great work.
Think about it Jack in your maverick deluded little brain - this food can be stored at room temperature at a push, it’s easy to make food for the time conscious. It has some nutrition. Families don’t have three Smeg’s and a freezer to store their wares, it’s the basics to get a child fed what they would’ve had for school dinners.

Thank god she’s nowhere near in charge of the packs, we’d have tinned peaches, horse spunk in a pot, anchovies in mayo and a really long letter about her and her life and how she suffered for a few months on food banks.

Finally, thank you to everyone who said I’d helped with the food bank stuff and what to donate. I love I’ve made a tiny bit of difference and buying non budget brands means the person is more humanised than constant value range food. And people using food banks love treats too! Remember, older folk love tinned rice pudding and tinned fruit salad. So those are new things I’ve learned to have lots of for pensioners.
i wonder if it was one of her nome de plumes, so she tagged herself?

• Wow
Reactions: 9

Just fancied a bit more maverick... no reason 🤷‍♀️
I've never found anything remotely fanciable about Tom Cruise (not that I've really looked) until you posted that gif 🤣 I can't decide if I'm glad to have been enlightened or not.

Not surprised Jack is back on Twitter. I wish she'd stop flouncing, at the very least. It just makes her snippy when someone points out her own words.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I've never found anything remotely fanciable about Tom Cruise (not that I've really looked) until you posted that gif 🤣 I can't decide if I'm glad to have been enlightened or not.

Not surprised Jack is back on Twitter. I wish she'd stop flouncing, at the very least. It just makes her snippy when someone points out her own words.
Pre-sofa jumping Tom was an absolute babe!

Why has she put the whole of that tweet in brackets?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30

I felt the same way until I saw his first(?) movie, Legend. I realised then that my 2nd ever boyfriend when I was 21, the hopelessly unsuitable one, looked almost exactly like him, just with extra muscles and even bluer eyes. Oh, the memories - that boy was beautiful...

I bumped into him about 6 years ago, now crinkled around the eyes, steel grey hair, fully mature muscles from twenty years of manual work. Still did it for me - and in my opinion, as he hadn't done the stupid TC hair dye/wig thing because he hadn't needed to, he had grown up to be better looking than TC.

Such a shame he was still thick as mince, so I had to pass on the offer of getting back together with him.

Are there any more Pavlovian Rejections of Perfectly Adequate Food Supplies I could witter about? I can't be doing with Twitter - I'm half watching The Art of Persia on iPlayer and I'd rather stick with that.

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Jamie Oliver promoted Marcus’ campaign
jamie Oliver did a series and book about school dinners.
Jamie Oliver is used to dealing with suppliers, wholesalers and dealing in bulk.
who could help Marcus best about getting the most value for money and nutrition for these lunches....

• Heart
Reactions: 55
Jamie Oliver promoted Marcus’ campaign
jamie Oliver did a series and book about school dinners.
Jamie Oliver is used to dealing with suppliers, wholesalers and dealing in bulk.
who could help Marcus best about getting the most value for money and nutrition for these lunches....
Jack Monroe. Why are you asking 🙃

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 42
The other thing, and sorry if I missed someone else also saying it, is that some children (possibly even a lot of children) are incredibly fussy about food, because reasons. My daughter has had a very restricted diet at times. I know people say that they'll 'eat when they're hungry' but I tested that theory once or twice with her and I broke way before she did. That pack with the biscuits and sachets and stuff, I could have made meals out of that that she probably would have eaten at primary school age. It's all well and good to go on about ideal nutrition, but the reality is, sometimes you just want your kid to eat *something*. A pack full of interesting veg, most fresh meat, lentils etc would have been no use to me or her.
yes exactly this. I’ve been reading but haven’t had the energy to get into it because I’m so pissed off with her tonight. All she’s good for is moaning. She jumped on this too late, like everything else, her lockdown larder is irrelevant now. Why are people indulging her with the idea that she’s making any kind of positive difference?

• Heart
Reactions: 25
yes exactly this. I’ve been reading but haven’t had the energy to get into it because I’m so pissed off with her tonight. All she’s good for is moaning. She jumped on this too late, like everything else, her lockdown larder is irrelevant now. Why are people indulging her with the idea that she’s making any kind of positive difference?

She sounds almost exactly like those mothers who took one look at the suggestion their children were fed meat, vegetables, grains and rice, said 'Errrggggghhhh! That's tit, that is' and proceeded to push bags of chips and cans of Coke through the school railings.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
'Thank you Marcus, I can take it from here' :cool:

It just illustrates such a huge ego. Marcus has done this but now i'm here to do this ITS NOT CONNECTED IN ANY WAY. I can make ANY SORT OF FOOD!!! GIVE ME ANYTHING! Her fans really have blown that smoke up her arse.

Except....she cant. She hasn't had decent recipes since her first couple of books, even her fans are saying its tit.

Jamie Oliver literally has campaigned for better meals, for nutrition, for kids. its his NICHE. Why is she butting in on his NICHEEEEEE!!! He did it will good intentions though, whereas she is doing it because she has seen all the admiration and glory that Rashford is (rightfully) getting.

It's in my opinion, really irritating/insulting for her to put herself front and centre.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 49
She sounds almost exactly like those mothers who took one look at the suggestion their children were fed meat, vegetables, grains and rice, said 'Errrggggghhhh! That's tit, that is' and proceeded to push bags of chips and cans of Coke through the school railings.
i’d love to know what she thinks she can do better with this. Yes it’s basic but for good reasons as already pointed out. Fair enough if you have constructive criticism to add but does she? What will moaning achieve?

At the end of the day families will be helped with these packs, children will be fed and it will help financially. I think that’s plenty reason enough to use her position to be a positive voice.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Too late now, but also can I suggest addition of bacon, finely chopped rashers of smoked bacon, cooked with the onions. It's my anglicised substitute for pancetta that appears in a lot of traditional ragu recipes.
To add on top of this, cook the bacon first then use the bacon fat oil to sautee the onions/celery/garlic...god i love animal fat

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I felt the same way until I saw his first(?) movie, Legend. I realised then that my 2nd ever boyfriend when I was 21, the hopelessly unsuitable one, looked almost exactly like him, just with extra muscles and even bluer eyes. Oh, the memories - that boy was beautiful...

I bumped into him about 6 years ago, now crinkled around the eyes, steel grey hair, fully mature muscles from twenty years of manual work. Still did it for me - and in my opinion, as he hadn't done the stupid TC hair dye/wig thing because he hadn't needed to, he had grown up to be better looking than TC.

Such a shame he was still thick as mince, so I had to pass on the offer of getting back together with him.

Are there any more Pavlovian Rejections of Perfectly Adequate Food Supplies I could witter about? I can't be doing with Twitter - I'm half watching The Art of Persia on iPlayer and I'd rather stick with that.
Legend, you say? *goes off to google*

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.