Jack Monroe #29

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone recall the same histrionics when her last engagement ended? (Was it Allegra? Or the police officer? Bit foggy on the order of fiancés tbh)

I assume she’s probably deleted all the relevant tweets but it would be interesting to see if this is how she reacts to all break ups. Or is this the first time she’s been dumped and is overwhelmed with anger and self pity.
I think there was a previous fiance, the one she was living with before she became a poor person, she has mentioned a relationship breakdown just before she left the fire service, then there was the police officer of the GIRLS, babe, I like Girls fame - due to marry in the new year 2013, swiftly followed by Allegra then Louisa.

All in common, ended suddenly and dramstically. With Allegra she didn't even wait the few weeks until the end of term at her son's school.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
I’ve always had a soft spot for Nigel Slater and his packages of food wrapped in brown paper and tied with twine.
Love his responses. So dry, and yet not abrasive.
His shows are so relaxing too, he would have been a good choice for a lockdown show imo

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I bet she would. I just can't stand this from someone that has spent years peddling junk jumping on yet another bandwagon that she doesn't have any credentials for.

View attachment 157007
View attachment 157009
Honestly, that last tweet and sanctimonious response has infuriated me. As someone else mentioned, that's a veg box, not a box of easily assembled lunches. I consider myself an accomplished cook and I'd have to do probably a day of batch cooking to use all this up effectively (it also means you need a freezer and often families are without adequate white goods).

One of my stepson's favourite pastimes is to stand in front of the open fridge or cupboard, shelves groaning with lovely ingredients, and say "but there's nothing to eat". Because if there isn't a tupperware of leftovers or something ready made, it just seems like too much effort. I'm not saying this to slag him off, to clarify: I was EXACTLY the same as a teenager. But if he got this box (his mum is still working so he's responsible for his own lunches), even though he considers himself a decent cook, he would categorically just choose a cigarette and a coffee over having to make something totally from scratch.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
His shows are so relaxing too, he would have been a good choice for a lockdown show imo
Definitely - the way he speaks (and writes) - he’s so lyrical about the food he’s preparing - and so calm! And relaxing to watch. Hmm 🤔
Totally made me want to pull up a chair at his scrubbed pine table and listen and eat 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I remember taking £2 a day and getting a greasy sausage roll at breaktime, then cheesy chips and an imitation slush puppy at lunch. I didn't smoke so all my money went on food! If there was any leftover it was choc bars to share by the lockers.

Reactions: 13
THIS!!! When I watched Jamie Oliver's lockdown show, I really noticed how much he showcased the food he had made and couldn't wait to tuck in. Quite often it showed the family sitting down for dinner and he'd ask the kids if they were enjoying it. Even on the couple of shows he recorded in a studio before lockdown, he was eating the food with proper "Ohhhh yum".
As a complete contrast, when Jack makes any food on screen she doesn't talk about it, doesn't showcase it, seems disinterested, just plonks it down off camera. It's bizarre. I feel like Jamie makes food he loves, whereas Jack makes food with an attitude of proving she can overcome a challenge or something.

We eat so much broccoli (6 heads a week) and cauliflower (2 heads a week) and I feel really guilty about this now. Sorry! I haven't had any problems though, I get a weekly order and it's always there.

I know Jamie can be mocked for his glugs of Olive Oil but he does make appetising food and shows he enjoys the cooking process. Everything is thought out properly.

And haha no worries, broccoli is nice so I don't blame you 😊 It could be the time I go to the supermarket, 8pm at the moment to avoid the crowds.

Reactions: 11
The last photo definitely looks very healthy. But there doesn't seem much to actually make a meal with apart from a couple of potatoes. Apart from the eggs and what looks like chicken at the top, where's the protein? Or carbs? If you have bread, what can you use to make a sandwich? The majority of it is fruit. You would still need to buy additional things to put with the veg to make a meal. Also, that is for 2 weeks.
Very worthy. Wouldn't a lot of it have gone off before two weeks?

My 12 year old uses the school canteen with a thumbprint payment system and I can see via the app what he eats 😂 pizzas, burgers, sausage rolls and pasties on repeat 😂 and on Fridays he treats himself to a fizzy flavoured water and a cake.

I realise I’m talking about this as if he’s at school😭 sadly, no. I’m bashing out the same lunch for them every day of sandwiches, crisps, bit of fruit and a biscuit of sorts. Don’t have any more imagination for anything more advanced 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
Had a bit of a catch up session. She is exhausting, nothing is ever good enough. The packs I've seen are a bit boring, but if people have enough things to make sandwiches/pasta for 5 days, with some fruit or a snack for "afters" I think it's OK as a short term thing. The most important thing is kids who need it are being fed.

I had some terrible news yesterday about a good friend that has knocked me for six. So my patience for JM's nonsense is at an all time low. She doesn't realise how bloody lucky she is. I might take some time away for a couple of days. Not flouncy or anything, but I may get banned if I start effing and blinding about her. See you in a bit everyone x

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 52
Definitely - the way he speaks (and writes) - he’s so lyrical about the food he’s preparing - and so calm! And relaxing to watch. Hmm 🤔
Totally made me want to pull up a chair at his scrubbed pine table and listen and eat 😂
Yeh I don’t think I’ve ever made any of his recipes but love watching him cook 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Just had another look at the "good example" box. Fresh meat may go off before it can be used, also not always suitable for religious/ethical reasons (box has bacon and beef mince). As someone mentioned upthread, refugee families or the very poor may not have the facilities to refrigerate. Kids or teens who have to prepare the food themselves may also struggle with mince. Worthy, and no doubt very useful for some situations, but definitely NOT ideal for all!

Reactions: 15
Yeh I don’t think I’ve ever made any of his recipes but love watching him cook 😂
The paperback copy of Real Fast Food is worth *every* *single* *penny* if you can get it. If just for the chilli chicken pitta and the omelette in vinaigrette recipes.

I love Nigel's books, but I have cooked the most from Real Fast Food and Appetite.

• Heart
As a family of 5 with only my dad working.........
Just had a phone call from my sister, who now reads here at my recommendation, but who hasn't yet signed up (come on what you waiting for?)

Sorry to quote myself but it has been forcefully pointed out that we are a family of 5 children, so 7 of us all together. And my eldest sister (reading here) was the major cook, as mum had some very major health and MH issues. Sorry sis for not giving you the credit. XX

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 37
The paperback copy of Real Fast Food is worth *every* *single* *penny* if you can get it. If just for the chilli chicken pitta and the omelette in vinaigrette recipes.

I love Nigel's books, but I have cooked the from Real Fast Food and Appetite.
Ooh. I’ve been influenced on this thread (again) 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
I woke up still wanting to rant about her allyship. That cheap frock she wore yesterday will almost certainly have been made in a developing country by a woman getting paid pennies for her labour.

Buying ethically is hard. Especially in this time of uncertainty around jobs etc. But she is a supposed poverty campaigner. Although it seems to be a niche poverty that she campaigns for, one that looks like her and nothing else.
I buy second hand clothes for that reason.

• Heart
Most of the food parcels are absolutely fine, this is 10 lunches. And if they're not it's not some big conspiracy about wanting to starve poor people, it's because people are doing their best with these programmes in challenging times.
Instead of being horrified by them it would be more use if she came up with ideas for them, not silly curry ideas but the ideas discussed on here. Although why that would be of use to anyone, I don’t know. I doubt a family with 3 children receiving food parcels have time to go and see what JM thinks they should eat each day. Her opinion is irrelevant expect to her fans the majority of whom I doubt are on the receiving end of said parcels. Again Saint Jack of the ‘useless help’ strikes again.

I could eat lunch from that for 10 days and considering the level of food lovers and cooks on here we have all pretty much agreed that this is the content of most kids lunches that are being served today!

Before Covid every child in England had the option of a free meal from YR to Y2. In my day job I visit lots of schools. I was surprised to find out in a school with the lowest levels of deprivation the uptake of these meals was one of the lowest particularly in YR. They weren’t eating the school lunches because they didn’t like them, in their lunchboxes was the beige diet of sausage rolls, sandwiches, biscuits, packaged cheese and crackersl squeezy yogurts etc.

The issue is so complicated, these children need food they will eat. It’s no good being a saviour and providing food with all the colours but they won’t eat it. It’s also happening now, today, there isn’t room for weeks of chat and discussion. I am in awe of the schools, charities etc who are just out there getting on with it.

That’s were twitter is a problem, where are these images coming from, what are the circumstances of these families in terms of storage and cooking etc There doesn’t seem to be a place for discussion about any of the complexities that are discussed on here.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
The point is is they are basic but it's only to cover the bases of one meal. If the kid wants something extra well the parents if they can can add to it. My boys request sandwiches, yoghurt, fruit and a pack of mini cheddars or cheese dippers practically every lunch time even at school my eldest is a fussy eater so he even requests the same at school. They don't get loads of snacks but have free reign of the fruit bowl. So those lunch packs would be very useful to me if I was eligible for them. I honestly don't see the problem with them. They may not be a huge portion but don't forget we are not supposed to eat massive portions of food, hence the obesity problem at present in the UK. As long as my boys have regular meals they are happy.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.