Jack Monroe #29

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Did Jack ever produce the vegan crackling recipe one of her books was meant to have in?
I think someone asked about it and she said it would be 8n the book, but then it wasn’t ... so much to remember with this thread I might be wrong though, if she can’t keep up with our lies how can we 😂

It was tamarind, Andi O gave a full recipe on making tamarind mayo!
She def won’t mention this as she doesn’t give anyone else credit. This also implies even her fans aren’t watching if they cannot remember what was on 2 days ago 😂

Reactions: 8
Pork seems like such a weird choice regardless, so many people don’t eat it. I have non religious friends who don’t as pigs are very intelligent, not to mention Jewish people or the many people who don’t eat red meat at all

It's cheap and has a long history of being easy to preserve for longer storage life.

Assuming they haven't had access to catering quantities (because the canteen was privatised to sell prepacked sandwiches only, for example)

Sainsbury's website right now (random choices to get an appropriate comparison on quantity) - remembering that not all supermarkets have the larger packs on sale.

8 pork loin steaks (800g) for £3.50 (or £4.38 a kilo) x 2 (so 16 pieces) = £7.00

or

1.6kg of chicken breast (approx 8 pieces, not the easiest to divide up evenly but vaguely possible) for £8.45 (or £5.28 a kilo)

or the more likely to be stocked in the local supermarket

300g chicken breast (2 pieces) £1.70 or £5.67 a kilo x 5 (so 100g less meat) = £8.50

Might not seem like much at £1.50, but if you're buying for 250 children, that's another £375 out of the budget, the difference between spending £1750 on meat and £2125. You can buy a lot of rice for £375.

However, I do think it's a crappy thing to do to buy the meat most likely to be avoided for religious reasons - unless it's a RC school and then you're pretty safe (if oversubscribed, at any rate) to assume that pork won't be an issue for the vast majority - and you can run reports to bring up the No Pork families.

Reactions: 6
Did Jack ever produce the vegan crackling recipe one of her books was meant to have in?
I asked this yesterday! I remember she made a huge deal out of it before her vegan book was published. Its clearly impossible to make vegan pork crackling though I mean come on.

Omg I really want to reply to her tweet with what you’ve just said.

I secretly think that her followers are asking such stupid questions because they want some sort of interaction with her, surely they’re not all that thick.

View attachment 157231
Again, it’s called not liking something? How strange are these tweets.
I’m starting to think these are genuine piss takes!

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I know this is probably a really ignorant mindset and I don't mean it how it sounds but if anyone give me anything whether is clothes, food.. anything I am grateful. It may not be much it may not be top of the range but it's something and it will and does help if I need it. I take alot of the complaints about things today as quite rude and ungrateful. I agree the system is broken nobody should have to struggle but at the same time be grateful if you do get something there is always people worse off

Reactions: 9
Afternoon Hausfraus!

I also recommend Nigel Slaters RFF. Lovely, simple food that is delicious and easy to prepare. Also enjoying his dry responses to manifestly stupid questions on twitter.

I think the thing that is riling me most JM re all the food bank stuff is this - Marcus Rashford has LIVED EXPERIENCE of growing up in poverty. He knows what it's like. She doesn't.

The people putting together the food parcels will also have direct experience of working with and supporting families who are living in poverty. Again, she doesn't.

THEY are the experts, not her. She should have the grace and decency to stop running her mouth off and let them get on with it (we all know she won't though).

She is not the only person who has been poor and knows about cooking on a budget ffs!
This is what annoys me about JM (amongst other things!)
She goes on about living in poverty, which she didn't. Being poor and living in poverty are not the same thing.
MR was raised in poverty, JM had a crappy couple of months 10 years ago. BIG difference.
In the last recession I wasn't working, I was a stay at home Mum (the original Hausfrau!) My husband managed not to get laid off from work (like a lot of his workmates) but he lost a lot of work, including all his overtime that we relied on. We lost about £400 a month overnight. It was bleeping awful.
It nearly broke us financially and emotionally. We nearly lost our house and got eleventy billion loans which has crippled our credit rating even to this day.
After a couple of months he got some more hours and I went back to work. We didn't use a foodbank but were very grateful for generosity from a local Children's centre when they donated some gifts for my son's 9th birthday.
I would say we were poor but no way would I ever say we lived in poverty ffs.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 29
The comments that the banana and anchovy pizza is getting are fantastic.

My culinary dilemmas I would love to ask her:

"Hi Jack, I've been wanting to make your peach and chickpea curry but can't find any peaches! Could I use wine gums for the same sweet effect?"

"Hi Jack, a recipe suggests adding Chinese five spice to my stir fry but I'm concerned about cultural appropriation. Do you think it would be okay?"

"Hi Jack, my local stable has taken out a restraining order against me just for making your delicious lasagne recipe! Will a traditional bechamel work?"

"Hi Jack, I have a bag of flour. Any ideas?"

• Haha
Reactions: 39

"Hi Jack, I've been wanting to make your peach and chickpea curry but can't find any peaches! Could I use wine gums for the same sweet effect?"

"Hi Jack, a recipe suggests adding Chinese five spice to my stir fry but I'm concerned about cultural appropriation. Do you think it would be okay?"

"Hi Jack, my local stable has taken out a restraining order against me just for making your delicious lasagne recipe! Will a traditional bechamel work?"

You'll end up on some sort horse offender register!!

• Haha
Reactions: 20
I'm going to go out on a limb and say no.

She's too busy with her passion of blogging, which in her 20 hour working day 7 days a week means she's posted two recipes in 3 months.

They are loosely recipes as one is just her basic tomato butter sauce and the other one was re-post of cake from her tin book. Both had poor quality snaps that you'd struggle to take that badly on a modern phone.

But don't forget to tip the chef, she works so hard but only has a meagre existence and deserves more. :rolleyes:

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
Uuggghh COOK THEM or if you don’t like them offer free to a neighbour or on FB, I am sure someone will be grateful for them! I mean WTF people 😩
She missed out the fact the ingredients are on the back with guess what serving suggestions... Ie additional things to do with said cooked Noodles. I dispair... I really do!

I wish she hadn’t blocked me, Inwould 100% tweet this 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.