Jack Monroe #282 Cumin: 2p, onions: 8p, fingernail dirt: priceless

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know exactly what you mean. I think many of us her have dealt with a “dark triad” personality or had dealings with out-of-control personality disordered types. Many people have PDs and manage them very well, let’s not forget.
Savile groomed organisations, institutions, Britain. Offenders like him don’t just groom their physical victim, we have to do better at recognising these behaviours in the wild and calling them out. The MO of manipulation, gaslighting, grandiosity etc is clear in Jack.
The thing that really struck me about it is looking at the old footage and seeing the change in Savile. By the mid-70s he looks absolutely deranged and that only got worse. Not surprising really as by that point he must have felt completely invincible, having been embraced by the entire establishment.

• Sad
Reactions: 43
I went to see him years and years ago and he made a racist comment during one of his ad libs (can't remember what it was exactly, but something to do with 'Asian ladies'). It went down like a lead balloon in the audience, everyone went very quiet, side-eying each other and there was some booing, it was all very awkward and spoiled the whole night. So I've never really understood the love for him, because those who are into his poetry must know about this undercurrent of nastiness in him (I was dragged along to the gig by a pal so wasn't really aware of his work).
I’ve seen him before and was very very drunk. 😂 I am glad I didn’t get tickets then.

Jack never fact checks, the squigs never fact check, it's like an ever decreasing circle of fact-free information.

View attachment 1181470
Yup. And this will be the ending of us all I reckon 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 19
The thing that really struck me about it is looking at the old footage and seeing the change in Savile. By the mid-70s he looks absolutely deranged and that only got worse. Not surprising really as by that point he must have felt completely invincible, having been embraced by the entire establishment.
I watched the Savile thing last night. It is quite terrifying. I know someone who isn’t doing anything like Savile did but who we call the work predator, and he has a strange attitude to relationships and life in general. I couldn’t help but just kept going omg omg that’s like how xxxxx answers questions. Liars. Extreme liars. Damaged liars though.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 34
They offer “grifting media poorfisher” at schools careers evenings now, dear heart!
As an academia herr, I’m already imagining an access course in “Transition to Multiple Platform Grifting”, followed by the inevitable joint-degree in “False Advertising and Anachronism History”. There would of course be PG options in “Advanced Gaslighting” and “Hedge Fund Lesbian Fishing”.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 55
As an academia herr, I’m already imagining an access course in “Transition to Multiple Platform Grifting”, followed by the inevitable joint-degree in “False Advertising and Anachronism History”. There would of course be PG options in “Advanced Gaslighting” and “Hedge Fund Lesbian Fishing”.
BIB - hooting 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 37
One thing I will give the OH credit for, her twittering is somewhat smattered, we get a flurry of them all at once probably when he/ she has gone off for a bite to eat jaunt round theirs to get clean pants and then she quiet again. Keep up the good work pet!

• Haha
Reactions: 39
Morning ninnies. Some #SaturdayStats because I clearly have nothing better to do with my weekend:

It's been 19 hours since Jack told Twitter she was cooking the previous evening's GORGEOUS dinner again in order to photograph and share it.

It's been exactly 11 weeks since she announced the Vainglorious Blimp Index and said it was going to take her "the weekend" to pull together.

It's been almost 3 months since she told her followers she was going to softly, gently, restfully aim to post three new recipes a week (and pinky promised to post the broccoli breakfast pasta recipe later that day). A grand total of zero recipes has been posted.

It's been 3 months and 2 weeks since she claimed a crack team of a dozen tech experts were working round the clock to fix her WordPress site, which is still stuck on a backup from 2018 (she's tapped her followers for repair donations TWICE since then).

It's been exactly 4 months and 1 week since she said she was putting the framed prints of her completely unedited tree photo up for sale "this evening". There is still no trace of said prints in her online shop.

It's been 1 year and 5 weeks since she posted "Good morning from me and my book deadline!" on Twitter. She is still, somehow, editing this same book.

It's been over 1 year and 4 months since she posted an update for her Patreon subscribers (not even a brief "thank you" message after the influx of hundreds of new mugs in February).

The VBI started ELEVEN WEEKS AGO oh my god. That's nearly 3 months ago?! How have nearly three months of my life passed since then....

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 52
Nigella on Saturday Kitchen and I am just not able for her anymore.
That Patreon shout out has killed her off for me.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 71
I went off Gill Scott Heron for the same reason. Different terminology but same piss poor attitude
Difficult one for me, this. Because where do you draw the line?
GSH, JCC, Chuck Berry, Morrissey, James Brown, Mick Jagger, The Who, The Stones etc etc.
If we stop listening to the artists we love based on something they’ve written, then all we’re left with is Celine Dion and KT Tunstall - bland, MOR shite.
I’m progressive, or at least I like to think I am, but I believe in freedom of expression even if I don’t agree with what’s been said. I don’t think I could honestly say I would walk out of a live show of an artist I paid to go and see, or stop listening to albums I bought because I disagree with something they’ve said.

It’s a difficult one.

• Heart
Reactions: 42
I watched the Savile thing last night. It is quite terrifying. I know someone who isn’t doing anything like Savile did but who we call the work predator, and he has a strange attitude to relationships and life in general. I couldn’t help but just kept going omg omg that’s like how xxxxx answers questions. Liars. Extreme liars. Damaged liars though.
Yeah and I think it’s a spectrum. Just because someone acts a bit like that doesn’t mean they are a sexual predator. However I reserve the right to assume the worst and not engage with that person in certain ways, and to call out anything they say which I find inappropriate, without being dismissed as “too serious/sensitive/just a joke” etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
Do you mean Placebo dear heart? The singer is Brian Molko?
My take would be that Placebo's track is written/sung by and from the point of view of a bisexual man who enjoyed wearing makeup and was perceived as the Nancy Boy of the title.
John Cooper Clarke - not so much.
Yeah, Molko is calling himself a Nancy Boy, effectively. I'd still expect radio to censor it if they played it though. Although they are quite inconsistent about that sort of thing, so who knows. See the yearly reeeing about Fairytale of New York.

• Haha
Reactions: 28
Difficult one for me, this. Because where do you draw the line?
GSH, JCC, Chuck Berry, Morrissey, James Brown, Mick Jagger, The Who, The Stones etc etc.
If we stop listening to the artists we love based on something they’ve written, then all we’re left with is Celine Dion and KT Tunstall - bland, MOR shite.
I’m progressive, or at least I like to think I am, but I believe in freedom of expression even if I don’t agree with what’s been said. I don’t think I could honestly say I would walk out of a live show of an artist I paid to go and see, or stop listening to albums I bought because I disagree with something they’ve said.

It’s a difficult one.
The greatest response I’ve seen on this topic is Shane McGowan re Fairytale of New York mentioning f****t. He’s just like, we used to say it then, now people don’t say it. Bleep it if you want, I don’t care, things change. Do what you think is best.

• Heart
Reactions: 61
Her tweeting is always interesting, pattern wise. Pretending to people she can control it then once she’s on it’s for the absolute most dopamine she can get in one hit. It’s a very real addiction and she would probably be a totally different (and happier) person without it.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
The greatest response I’ve seen on this topic is Shane McGowan re Fairytale of New York mentioning f****t. He’s just like, we used to say it then, now people don’t say it. Bleep it if you want, I don’t care, things change. Do what you think is best.
Exactly. He still gets paid either way, so he doesn't have any reason to care 😂

On that specific word, I think I'm in a slight minority of the LGBT community who doesn't mind it as much as other words.

Reactions: 20
I went to Leeds Uni in the late 80's and everyone knew what Savile was up to - it was a standing joke if we were ever near his house. I actually met him a few years later when I was 23. As well as my professional career I ran competitively and there was a series of road events in which I was invited to compete. I got free hotel, small appearance fee etc. - I wasn't that big, you won't know me. Some celebs also took part. At the hotel before one London race Mr Soapy D, my friend and I were sat at a table with Frank Bruno and agent, Gavin from That's Life - honestly I know it sounds like the start of a joke but I'm not making this up! We were eating from the buffet and having great bants with Frank Bruno. Then Savile came, with assistant and sat at the table and talked AT us. He wasn't eating, just performing. The 3 of us were just sniggering behind our hands and he totally killed the mood. After a few minutes someone came and took him away. He was weird, it felt weird and then one of the other athletes pointed out how young looking I was...eek! I always looked younger and was make-up free with blonde hair in ponytail, obviously fit and in running gear.

As we've seen, the whole charity connection and raising money for good causes really does seem to blind people to the obvious or even to asking some really basic questions.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 59
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.