Jack Monroe #274 I’m Jack Monroe, Rise minions of my echo chamber; tell me how dedicated & awesome I am.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have one final note from the archives that amused me and I think says a bit about Jack's mindset:

View attachment 1149643

Source: https://web.archive.org/web/20121015070422/http://agirlcalledjack.com/2012/10/03/flat-hunting-woes/

She was 24 when she wrote this. I feel like the vast majority of 24-year-olds would be totally confused by her take, because at that age, a huge number of people have, I dunno, A FLATMATE.

Jack always presents her house share era (reminder: one summer) as an example of utter grinding poverty, but surely nearly all of us have shared accommodation at some point?

Mid-Poverty, the idea of sharing a flat is so far off her radar that she can't even conceive of someone needing a second bedroom if they don't have a child.
Yes to this! All the youts I work with - highly skilled professionals, have flatmates. I’ve lived in just about every conceivable circumstance since leaving home as a teen, it’s a part of the course of making your way in life. Not to mention, the thing she calls a ‘house share’ is widely believed to have been simply moving back in with her parents for a bit. I’ve had to do that, too.

SB has always had his own room, even as a baby, which again for most people is such a luxury. She sold her lightbulbs and turned the fridge off, but he still had his own room 🤷‍♀️ At one point I was properly skint and needed to knuckle down and save money, I had three kids in my room in a tiny flat with me for ages, you couldn’t move for beds/cots. That’s not a story I trot out every day, I just did what needed to be done without overthinking it. I did not have the luxury of calling my dad to stop it all (he’s DEAD!), and had to do things that made sense in order to keep my head above water, and my kids warm and fed.

The fact that Jack has no financial sense is not the fault of *checks notes* David Cameron, or Boris, or Thatcher, Old Chief, her mum, her dad, the foster kids, or whoever else she’s blamed over the years.

• Heart
Reactions: 64
So many of her early blog entries - even the one about Facebook censoring her - read like job applications. The careerism was there from the start, complete with the obfuscations. A lot of chutzpah but nothing to back it up. The reeling off of all these random 'awards' which are just big PR events. All smoke and mirrors.
It’s disgusting really isn’t it? Her entire life is one big career move. I know I’m on her “companies house” shiz but I’m convinced she’s hiding her income so she can’t be called out for her wealth because the poverty game would be well and truly up. Her constant Tory bashing, is low hanging fruit and gets her the following she needs for her agenda, but in my eyes she’s worse than JRM, Rishi or any tax evading/dodging Tories because at least it’s clear what they are and we can state it and vote them out (hopefully 🙏🏼). I genuinely despise her purely on the none payment of taxes. Yeah I want all the billionaires and Tory twats paying their full whack in tax but I also want everyone else who can and should contribute to be doing their bit, because that’s the only way we can really help each other in the long run and there would be no need for dick heads like Jack and charities like TT. How has she even got a horse in this race ~baffled~

• Heart
Reactions: 48
Sorry to hear you've had a hard time, but congratulations on the new job. I went through something similar with a bullying boss destroying my confidence. There was a happy ending though the new role I moved into provided lots of opportunities for growth and a nurturing manager or two helped give me the confidence to develop. I hope you find similar success. Xx
Wishing you the very, very best in your new role - I know I don’t know you but I’m sure you’ll be absolutely amazing xx

• Heart
Reactions: 32
Not to mention, the thing she calls a ‘house share’ is widely believed to have been simply moving back in with her parents for a bit. I’ve had to do that, too.
I agree with all your post, but I just want to mention this - per Jack's blog, the 2013 thing was not moving back home. I can't find the receipts now unfortunately, but on a few different occasions she mentions a landlady and "the other lodgers" (which is a weird way to talk about housemates, but ok).

Per comments elsewhere in her fugue state last year about her stalker and CSA, she did move back with them at one point, but it appears that was pre-Poverty (the stalker drama seems to have fizzled out by the time the Poverty started; an early blog entry talks about it in past tense).

• Wow
Reactions: 26
I agree with all your post, but I just want to mention this - per Jack's blog, the 2013 thing was not moving back home. I can't find the receipts now unfortunately, but on a few different occasions she mentions a landlady and "the other lodgers" (which is a weird way to talk about housemates, but ok).

Per comments elsewhere in her fugue state last year about her stalker and CSA, she did move back with them at one point, but it appears that was pre-Poverty (the stalker drama seems to have fizzled out by the time the Poverty started; an early blog entry talks about it in past tense).
What, I’m wrong? Despite having £34.72 in the bank, I’m wrong? Aye, pal. I’ll be on to my lawyer, and I have a 100% success rate. Operator, get me 1 Israel Street, Israel Town, Israel, STAT!

• Haha
Reactions: 41
Going back to yesterdays tweet "Every week SB and I have a night where I down my work tools early"

Her work existence is 99% being controversial on twitter (the vast majority of the time with dishonesty as it would be harder to go viral with accurate factual stuff) in order to rattle her tip jar and patreon. The earnings from which would pretty likely put her in the top 10th percentile of earners in the UK.

She lives a beyond charmed lifestyle that many could only dream about; working so little to receive so much. All while pretending she only has a perpetual 30 odd quid to her name and is some kind of good samaritan that receives no remuneration.

The irony of posting on twitter about downing tools to not work when your work is posting on twitter 🤪

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 80
Also (just working through your fab links, @colouredlines) it blows my mind that she was given a well-paid job as a call handler at her dad's workplace when she was still a teenager. Nepotism's a helluva drug.
Not only that, but she also admitted in an interview (can't recall which one but it might have been the Edinburgh Book Festival) that she failed the interview first time round but was then allowed to sit in the control room to see how things worked before resitting and passing "with flying colours."

I have one final note from the archives that amused me and I think says a bit about Jack's mindset:

View attachment 1149643

Source: https://web.archive.org/web/20121015070422/http://agirlcalledjack.com/2012/10/03/flat-hunting-woes/

She was 24 when she wrote this. I feel like the vast majority of 24-year-olds would be totally confused by her take, because at that age, a huge number of people have, I dunno, A FLATMATE.

Jack always presents her house share era (reminder: one summer) as an example of utter grinding poverty, but surely nearly all of us have shared accommodation at some point?

Mid-Poverty, the idea of sharing a flat is so far off her radar that she can't even conceive of someone needing a second bedroom if they don't have a child.
This is even more hilarious when you picture her now, rattling around in a massive house with far more rooms than one adult and part-time child need.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 44
Guys I got a special mention in work today( brown noser or what?! 😜) For some work I did.

So basically I now own the company. 😜 I am planning to have a special afternoon tea consisting of Brussel sprout sandwiches with pickled eggs and tea that was made last Wednesday heated in the microwave to tepid temperature with Donald trump and piers Morgan to celebrate.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 51
Did chandler in friends go out with a pretend girlfriend called Stephanie Hornswoggle? Or did I just make that up! It's definitely in something.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
Did chandler in friends go out with a pretend girlfriend called Stephanie Hornswoggle? Or did I just make that up! It's definitely in something.
Ross dates an Elizabeth Hornswoggle…and Chandler asks if he’s dating a character from Fraggle Rock

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.