Jack Monroe #26 Jack be bitter, Jack be quick, Jack stop being such a dick.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The Conjuring’s a good one - the whole 70s vibe of it. I thought Hereditary was similar, to be honest - as it had a lazy, slow-moving but creepy undercurrent. I wouldn’t say it was a masterpiece, but I really really liked it. Yes, both raw and interesting explorations of grief as a catalyst for the horror.

Same for me re: Midsommar! I said ‘Holy duck’ really loudly and my 12-year-old, who was meant to be asleep upstairs told me to stop swearing 😬

There you go, Jack! Some Sunday night viewing recos for ya babe X

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I find quorn products a tad tasteless. I think the problem with quorn is that some supermarkets quorn ranges are exclusive to them.

But my mum bought me some quorn vegan slices and they were decent. I also like the v bites.

Beyond sausages are lovely but they are a fiver for two. I actually like the Linda McCartney vegan sausages.

I remember Jack brought out a recipe for the best vegan sausages ever. Around six months or so ago. I had a look but the recipe just seemed very over complicated and quite frankly a load of faffing about. They had tofu in them as well. They looked ok but I’d rather just buy them than faff around with tofu to make vegan sausages

The Amy’s kitchen meals are ok, I get them very occasionally. Tesco also do a vegan range exclusive to them and some of the products are very nice
I love Richmond meat-free sausages (to be honest even the meat content of their meat ones are questionable) and prefer them to bog-standard meat sausages. I’m a bit funny about food textures so most sausages make me boak.

I love Linda McCartney’s hoisin duck. We had that the other day in bao buns.

I can’t get on with Quorn. We’re meat-eaters (although other half went vegetarian for a year and our 9yr old tried veganism for all of a week) but we do love eating veggie/vegan meals a lot. I prefer eating veg-based meals rather than meat replacements. I’ve tried many times using meat-free mince but the texture never seems to be quite right. I liked Vivera but it’s too expensive to feed 4 of us.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
THAT FILM. bleeping hell. Actually, THAT DIRECTOR - both ‘Midsommar’ and ‘Hereditary’ left my jaw on the floor, my brain on rinse, and my eyes a bit wet at their portrayal of female grief.

Anyway, as you were.

Thread # whatever - rissoles they ain’t, went out for paint, smoothing tool shows no restraint.
I really hated Hereditary, the ending really sucked, but I loved Midsommar, a very bleak, very beautiful feminist fable.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I keep thinking about this... View attachment 153739
and something about it makes me feel uncomfortable in a power/control kind of way 😕 Wanting someone to be dependant on you for food 🤔 I don't know, I'm thinking aloud here but something about it seems wrong.
The more I think about it, the more bizarre it is. Being able to cook is a basic life skill that most people can and should learn. I’ve had partners who ‘couldn’t’ (see: wouldn’t) cook and although it obviously wasn’t a deal breaker it did make me feel like I was their mum at times. I can’t imagine finding a lack of skill and interest in cooking attractive, especially as a grown adult. It just comes across as so juvenile

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Generally it’s more dry, if that makes sense? The bridge between veggie and vegan must be moisture! Tesco vegan nuggets are nice for the first bite but then tasteless. Humph!

Iceland used to do some lovely bits but for some reason they squished their selection down to half a semi defrosted freezer. Linda McCartney are the nicest imo, but they’re ££.

Yes I remember looking at Jack’s recipe back when she annoyed me personally but I thought she was a chef, decided I couldn’t be arsed.
Food warehouse which is like an Iceland superstore have a decent vegan range. Same as they sell in Iceland but a much bigger range.

They do mushroom burgers which I really liked. They do vegan sausage rolls as well. Vegan pizza. They also do vegan ice cream cones.

I don’t shop at Tesco much but I like the high protein noodles, which are vegan. If I find something I like to eat I tend to eat it quite a lot and then move onto something else. Just a matter of trial and error I suppose. I used to eat quorn a lot when I was vegetarian but not so much these days.

Home bargains also do Henderson’s relish which is similar to lea and Perrins with no anchovies and it’s half the price of the lea and perrins for almost the same size of bottle. Lidl sell the Linda McCartney sausages as well and in my local Tesco the Linda McCartney stuff is always on offer. Probably because it’s over priced in the first place in there.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Says a lot for the way she thinks, if she'd rather her partner was rubbish at something just so she could feel the best, and therefore more dominant.
Not only that, but her “type” seems to be women who are quite a bit older, more affluent and more successful than her. I’m not surprised she feels the need to be dominant when it comes to cooking, because in every other respect she is the partner who needs the most looking after.

Reactions: 27
I sort of get the sentiment here (though of course it completely contradicts her other tweet). I cook 95% of our meals, partly because I enjoy it and partly because my husband really doesn't and is happy with many other chores I hate. But every now and again I can't be bothered. On those days, my pre-teen makes us pasta and tomato sauce or jacket potatoes and brand or we get take away. It's not exactly rocket science.

Reactions: 11
She’s lost loads of weight now, but telling everyone it’s not on purpose. Cue her in a few months “coming out” as having an eating disorder and then telling us all about her recovery. Just like her supposed alcoholism.

Just an incredibly attention seeking drama queen who loves playing the victim.

• Wow
Reactions: 14
She said she’s been offered I’m a celebrity but turned it down as she didn’t want to be away from her son for weeks.

• Haha
  • Wow
The best vegan sausages and burgers I've found are Naked Glory.

Good texture, nice and moist and a great flavour.

I love what you say in the first paragraph. I agree. I think it must be a constant push and pull internally of what she needs to remember and the image she is desperate to perpetuate, which let’s face it, is an ever-changing beast - against what must be parts of her she cannot suppress?

I love that you were influenced! Isn’t it so beautiful to look at and also dreadful and creepy and funny? Haha moomin May Queen - spot on! I was telling @PennyLoafer who also appreciated this film that the same director did Hereditary - which is again creepy, but different. And I’d watch Toni Collette in most anything! ❤
Edited to add: I recall that it was Penny who first mentioned Midsommar, and I eagerly agreed😂
@Pocahontas I've just watched the trailer for Midsommar... I’m going to watch it. I was put off by the “horror” label, creepy I can deal with. Going to find somewhere I can watch it!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I love what you say in the first paragraph. I agree. I think it must be a constant push and pull internally of what she needs to remember and the image she is desperate to perpetuate, which let’s face it, is an ever-changing beast - against what must be parts of her she cannot suppress?

I love that you were influenced! Isn’t it so beautiful to look at and also dreadful and creepy and funny? Haha moomin May Queen - spot on! I was telling @PennyLoafer who also appreciated this film that the same director did Hereditary - which is again creepy, but different. And I’d watch Toni Collette in most anything! ❤
Edited to add: I recall that it was Penny who first mentioned Midsommar, and I eagerly agreed😂
Haha, you’ve said it so much more humanely! I think my thought came from the feeling I’d get if I went off on holiday and left a really convoluted and shoddy script/code for someone else to pick up - that’s her life all the time and it’s that anxiety which makes me feel for her. But then she’s also the architect of that, so 🤷🏻‍♀️.
Ooh, thanks to @PennyLoafer too! Sinister, unsettling, darkly funny beauty is just my just my tin of rinsed beans and I’m looking forward to what other dreadful treasures this cabal of hideous hausfraus will uncover ❤.

My latest contribution to the vegan wing of the cabal is Oomph. Sadly it’s only available in my local hippy supermarket but all the versions I’ve tried are delicious. I also rely on the little dehydrated soya chunks from Holland & Barrett... roasted with veggie stock, preserved lemons, butternut squash, bulgar wheat, lemon thyme and agave... 🤤

• Heart
Reactions: 10
She said she’s been offered I’m a celebrity but turned it down as she didn’t want to be away from her son for weeks.
Now, that IS a sensible and ethical decision if it is true - leaving a kid who has had plenty of people in his life leaving and not coming back as it is, frankly abusing lifeforms (there is no need for tanks of animals that get squashed or eaten for the benefit of the audience) and it's a ticket to mainstream media slaughter.

Reactions: 4
For I'm a Celeb they'll cast a wide net each year, see who says they would do it and then narrow it down from there. She may well have been approached but that doesn't mean even if she'd expressed interest she'd have got cast. They do tend to have an online famous person so maybe she'd have got in, maybe she wouldn't. I imagine she thinks she's more Strictly material as it's less grubby reality.

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.