Jack Monroe #25 Worst paid advance, posing in her pants, at least Hellmans gave this 10 yr newbie a chance.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Best ever coleslaw recipe.

Carrot
Red Onion
Red Cabbage (or white, but I like the colour)

Shred.

Mix with lots of mayonnaise, a blob of natural yoghurt/sour cream if you've got some knocking around in the fridge, rice wine vinegar or the pink vinegar from a jar of beetroot, sea salt, tons of pepper, lemon or lime juice and dump into a very large Tupperware container and leave over night, occasionally shaking it when you're delving into the fridge for snacks.

Then upend the joyous creation onto a crispy baked potato. And add more pepper.

If it's a bottom of the fridge jobbie, you can also add spring onion, cooked beetroot (use the egg slicer musical instrument for that or you'll look like a serial killer for a week), finely sliced celery (add celery salt if that's in there), grated courgette, chopped chives or the rest of a cucumber that looks a bit stumpy and sad.

The key is the vinegar/acidity and salt to start to pickle it slightly. And to make at least an ice cream tub full of the stuff, as you'll want it again the next day.
Yum! One of my very strong opinions about coleslaw specifically is the need to marinate the thinly sliced onions in some kind of acid (usually lemon juice for me) and salt for a few hours first to soften it. Oh I could just talk about this stuff for hours! It’s not fair.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Where are the freaking leftovers?? Someone please tell me? I haven't watched a single episode but I get the impression no leftovers have been used ever WHY IS IT CALLED LEFTOVER LARDER? 🤦🏻‍♀️😂
Because lockdown would have been over by the time she finally got that trademark through 😂
Wonder how that's going btw? 🤔

• Haha
Reactions: 9
FIRST OF ALL - That bit about the ingredient suggestions being her favourite part of the show, because it puts her on the spot and she gets to use her ROLODEX BRAIN - Jack, we all know that you get the questions sent in advance, Nonnymouse told us PLUS you think it's a coincidence that tamarind came up when Andi was dying to talk about it? Stop taking us for idiots.

SECOND OF ALL - see when you make something, let us have a look at it, tell us why it's so tasty, why the ingredients work, instead of basically throwing it together then chucking it to one side unceremoniously. Almost as though you hate food.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
I love Andi Oliver and could listen to her enthusiasm for food all day. Good job really because the "host" of this show is incapable of stringing a coherent sentence together.
Mashed tofu and mayo in a sandwich, not for me 😩

• Sick
Reactions: 13
I noticed her talk about her son being ‘banished’, I mean we all make jokes, I used to call my kids’ playpen the baby jail (yes, I’m hilarious), but she’s always so negative about him. Always that air of misery/burden like she had towards dearly departed Louisa. I don’t think I’ve ever heard her say he’s wonderful and brilliant. I read in one of her articles before that she’d put tape around the floor in the kitchen so he wouldn’t come near her while she was cooking. As someone who has had lots of little toddlers and always cooks big meals from scratch, I can confirm that banishing a child while you’re cooking is ridiculous and unnecessary.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 21
Isn't "children's meals" as a concept almost as non woke and outdated as "boys' toys"?
I have a particular dislike for it. I know children can be picky, mine have certainly gone through their phases. But they're always offered "food" not "children's meals". Same as us adults unless we fancy some heat.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Yum! One of my very strong opinions about coleslaw specifically is the need to marinate the thinly sliced onions in some kind of acid (usually lemon juice for me) and salt for a few hours first to soften it. Oh I could just talk about this stuff for hours! It’s not fair.
I have similar opinions. Except I shred my cabbage (ideally a mix of 50:50 red and green) and carrot, bung in a colander, sprinkle with sugar and and salt and white wine vinegar. Leave for an hour or so to slightly pickle, plus it draws out some of the liquid from the veg, which can make homemade coleslaw a bit watery. After that, squeeze out even more liquid, as much as you can. Into a bowl and mix with chopped spring onion, mayo (or a combo of mayo and greek yoghurt if you want it a bit lighter) and a touch of horseradish (add this to taste, I like quite a lot, but mileage may vary).

Sorry to be prescriptive, but that's the best coleslaw ever.

Reactions: 11
I have similar opinions. Except I shred my cabbage (ideally a mix of 50:50 red and green) and carrot, bung in a colander, sprinkle with sugar and and salt and white wine vinegar. Leave for an hour or so to slightly pickle, plus it draws out some of the liquid from the veg, which can make homemade coleslaw a bit watery. After that, squeeze out even more liquid, as much as you can. Into a bowl and mix with chopped spring onion, mayo (or a combo of mayo and greek yoghurt if you want it a bit lighter) and a touch of horseradish (add this to taste, I like quite a lot, but mileage may vary).

You might like Curtido. It's essentially a spicy fermented slaw, chilli, carrot, cabbage, onion. It's delicious 😋

• Heart
Reactions: 2

Oh flumps I love your recipes to bits but coriander? Please say I can use an interchangeable herb as coriander is the devil's herb.

• Haha
Reactions: 8

Ohhhh the more prescriptive then better! Horseradish in coleslaw - HOW have I never tried this before?!

Reactions: 4
You might like Curtido. It's essentially a spicy fermented slaw, chilli, carrot, cabbage, onion. It's delicious 😋
I made kimchi a few weeks ago and was disappointed in it. The cabbage was tasteless. So I am now growing my own Chinese cabbage. The seedlings are ready but one should only plant them out on the longest day of the year for the best cabbages.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Oooo... my mum makes something just like that, I don't think we knew it had a name/heritage. I do love it.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Oh flumps I love your recipes to bits but coriander? Please say I can use an interchangeable herb as coriander is the devil's herb.
Hahaha! You completely threw me then. But I did type colander, not coriander! You can, however, substitute any suitable draining device!! x

Ohhhh the more prescriptive then better! Horseradish in coleslaw - HOW have I never tried this before?!
It's amazing. IMO. I'm told by my mum and sister that wasabi also makes a good, if different, addition, but they are FANCY.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
She reminds me of Alan Partridge at every turn! The deluded ego, the quiet desperation, the social strangeness. It actually fascinates me how poor she is at interacting with people. She's like an alien trying to imitate regular human social behaviour and always missing the mark. To be honest, I'm a bit that way myself so it makes me cringe to see it played out on screen. I'd actually feel a little sympathetic to her on that score were it not for the crappy stuff she keeps saying and doing.
I agree she does say crappy stuff but I do think what we're seeing on screen, the trying to imitate others behaviour and not getting it quite right is (in my experience) an autistic trait.

I feel sad she’s switched off her comments on the Lives because then she’s “unreachable” to the likes of N who she’s spent so long pretending to be friends with.. I get why - they would be awful this week - but it just feels like she’s created this platform and then closes it when it suits her. Why am I surprised?

N has yet to redeem her voucher. I’m not overly surprised but I can’t think of any method of convincing her to do so. I hope that bloody book has arrived though; there is no excuse to not have received at least one copy. I do not buy that Royal Mail has lost a whole batch. Jack has forgotten to post a whole batch.

I was thinking that if it’s unclaimed at the end of the month, there was someone on here who was saying how worried they were at making it through the summer financially. I know it’d be a tiny drop in the ocean for you, but perhaps you could use it to buy something irresponsible like Jaffa cakes and a microplane..?
Anyway, if that was you, DM me. Absolutely no obligations etc
What a lovely thing to do @Spoonfulofjam. ❤

Reactions: 7
This is going to sound ridiculous as you are all such food experts, however as I sit here eating Morrison’s garlic mushrooms with coleslaw can someone give me some inspiration?

I can’t eat spicy food. At all. Even southern fried potato wedges make my mouth on fire! I need some inspiration for some sort of rice/pasta dish that isn’t the usual carbonara/bolognaise for when I go back to work (seeing as though the canteen will be closed). And one that can be reheated or eaten cold. Only meat I don’t like is lamb, and I’m more than happy to try new stuff as I have a really beige pallet, so if anyone has any easy to make recipes for someone totally adverse to spice like me, please let me know!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.