Jack Monroe #25 Worst paid advance, posing in her pants, at least Hellmans gave this 10 yr newbie a chance.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am so disappointed. Seriously, Mayo is a great, cheap( if it’s a basics brand ) standby to snazz all kinds of meals up. I am on a fixed income, a pensioner and mainly vegetarian. Tofu is nice, but it has to be faffed with. Raw ? Yuk. It’s not exactly cheap either, for what it is. A treat, really. But mayo is great used as butter on bread and jacket potatoes and it can be made special using fridge oddments chopped up. Peppers, onions, all sorts. I don’t fancy it with mashed tofu.

Reactions: 10
Ok, so I made notes as I read:

wet sloppy mess

mashed raw tofu with vinegar and many peppers??

OMG, Andi’s missing? Please can someone check the tit shed to see if she’s under the pile of hostages and unposted books.

Rinsed molasses... is there any food that she doesn’t need to water board?

WTF is cress face?!?

Poor Matt gets a shoutout, bless his compact and masculine forearms.

Ahhhh, Andi’s escaped from the shed! RUN, ANDI, RUN!!!

Although don’t, people seem to be happy to have a competent presenter.

The idea of anchovy mayo is making this vegan’s ovaries feel like that time I had a burst cyst.

And it’s (abruptly) over!

What page do you reckon Jack’s on now?

• Haha
Reactions: 23
After all the hassle of getting instagram and finding out how to watch the “show”, I’ve given up after the first couple of minutes. She was faffing around talking to herself and then disappearing completely!
I can’t be wasting my life with this tit 😡
Thanks for the commentary fellow cabal members👍

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I can’t eat spicy food. At all. Even southern fried potato wedges make my mouth on fire!
I cannot eat overly spicy food either and I cannot eat curry of any sort. Sorry to all the wonderful people who post and share curry recipes. They do sound lovely. But I run a mile at a curry. My first curry ever was when I started working in the city and was commuting. One Friday as a social event we all went to a curry house and was at a loss what to order. Not wanting to appear naive, I order a vindaloo. It went down and instantly burned things I didn't know would burn. My eyelashes melted. Felt that my innards were dissolving. I ate 1/4 of it before giving up. Caught the train and I made it home before I hit the eye of a needle at 40 paces. Figured that was the end of it, until the morning.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
I’m on page 22. GrunkaLunkaring my way to the present time. Got a Zoom meeting at 7pm so I’m trying my best.

• Haha
Reactions: 40
Last time I recall it was collection of essays about black women's experience in poverty (tweeted after the jack lives matter shitstorm)
Oh yes, she deleted that tweet about her book when we all pointed out how patronising and downright wrong it would be to have a book of black women’s writing curated by a white woman. (She does parallel read here, I’m convinced of it.)

Reactions: 13
This is going to sound ridiculous as you are all such food experts, however as I sit here eating Morrison’s garlic mushrooms with coleslaw can someone give me some inspiration?

I can’t eat spicy food. At all. Even southern fried potato wedges make my mouth on fire! I need some inspiration for some sort of rice/pasta dish that isn’t the usual carbonara/bolognaise for when I go back to work (seeing as though the canteen will be closed). And one that can be reheated or eaten cold. Only meat I don’t like is lamb, and I’m more than happy to try new stuff as I have a really beige pallet, so if anyone has any easy to make recipes for someone totally adverse to spice like me, please let me know!
I'll come back with more tomorrow as just about to dish up dinner, but this is really good and super easy;

• Heart
Reactions: 7
This is going to sound ridiculous as you are all such food experts, however as I sit here eating Morrison’s garlic mushrooms with coleslaw can someone give me some inspiration?

I can’t eat spicy food. At all. Even southern fried potato wedges make my mouth on fire! I need some inspiration for some sort of rice/pasta dish that isn’t the usual carbonara/bolognaise for when I go back to work (seeing as though the canteen will be closed). And one that can be reheated or eaten cold. Only meat I don’t like is lamb, and I’m more than happy to try new stuff as I have a really beige pallet, so if anyone has any easy to make recipes for someone totally adverse to spice like me, please let me know!
I think risotto reheats ok. I know it's a bit of faff to make, but if you make a big batch for a few days it's not too bad. Garlic and onion for base flavour (can add really finely chopped celery, but it's not my favourite thing). Sweat down onions (and celery if you like), in butter and oil, then add garlic until it smells garlicky.

I like bacon and pea risotto best, so would add bacon bits (chunks or thin shreds) first (though obvs not if veggie), and cook until they are toasty. Then rice, and let it cook in the fat a little, it's supposed to make the outside of the rice crack and make absorption easier. Then add ladlefuls of warm stock (chicken or veg) and stir often, but not all the time. Every time your addition is almost all absorbed, add some more, until you have rice cooked to your liking. Add veg now - frozen peas (my pref), asparagus, roasted squash, roasted courgette, whatever takes your fancy. Then add a lot of parmesan and a big knob of butter.

Attached photo of green chicken biryani from Anjum Anand. It has chillis in, but I've made it for those who don't like spice without and it's really flavourful and delicious without them. I also use chicken breast normally, and can sub the spices for the ground versions and nothing bad will happen if you leave out the black cardamom, which I know isn't necessarily on everyone's shelves. It looks like a faff, but it's not too bad to make and really is lovely.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 13
One ‘recipe’ what a joke. Where are the ideas for sandwiches, wraps, toasties etc that use mayonnaise? I’m never making a tofu sandwich so I’m out...how has this got past Hellman’s PR team?
I'm never making THAT tofu sandwich, and I have a fridge full of tofu (firm, super firm, smoked, yuba and silken - yes, I love tofu).

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
THAT MAN'S pasta bake from Jame's Italian is lovely too. Just leave out dried chilli. I don't normally use oriechette, just penne or whatever short pasta I have. Reheats well. I use tinned tomatoes (on brand for Jack, natch)

• Heart
I'm never making THAT tofu sandwich, and I have a fridge full of tofu (firm, super firm, smoked, yuba and silken - yes, I love tofu).
Not heard of yuba tofu before...off to Google

THAT MAN'S pasta bake from Jame's Italian is lovely too. Just leave out dried chilli. I don't normally use oriechette, just penne or whatever short pasta I have. Reheats well. I use tinned tomatoes (on brand for Jack, natch)

We've got this tonight!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Off all the amazing sandwich ideas out there, and there must be verging on millions, she decides on tofu (nothing against tofu but raw and in a sandwich?)
It is almost wilful at this point isn't it to select something deeply unappetising when there are so many lovely alternatives.
I will say something in her favour - I rarely watch cookery programmes and find they are an aid to appetite suppression.

• Haha

Two more rice ones, then I will stop. Sorry for photos, am a bit under the weather and too tired to type. First one is from Manju Mahli’s Brit Spice, just leave out the chilli

Second is from Anjum Anand again and it’s nice and coconutty. Again leave out chilli powder.

ETA: hope they are readable.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 5

I LOVE giardiniera, which are pickled Italian vegetables. You can make them yourself or get them from Waitrose. Here's a recipe: (leave out the chilli - I've never made it or had it with chilli)

Tastes fantastic stirred through brown rice or sturdy pasta. Add some olives, artichoke hears (the cheap ones out of a tin work better here than the oily ones I think), maybe some sundried tomatoes, a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper and perhaps some herbs, like parsley or basil. Best eaten the following day so the flavours can all mingle.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Bracing myself to come back to two more threads and having to do a @GrunkaLunka.
Wow, I've whizzed through 41 pages in just under an hour. I'm conflicted that nothing too controversial has happened today. The live replay isn't showing for me on Insta yet so I've got that little delight to look forward to later, although I do feel like I've already watched it thanks to the excellent Hausfrau Goggleboxers!

Also... not a fan of crisp butties. I realise that will be controversial 😉
Soz @J4n0Z , you're dead to me now.

I used to eat dog biscuits as a child 🙄. I’m better now!
Babe, same. Those little yellowy dog bone shaped ones were the bomb. Sooo savoury!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
@Flumps will you please run a cookery course? I would travel to wherever you are in the country. I’m one of those people who’s quite a nervous cook — I don’t instinctively know what goes well together etc, but reading your recipes and suggestions is always just so calming. You make it all sound so gentle and achievable.

Hope you feel better soon 💕

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I cannot eat overly spicy food either and I cannot eat curry of any sort. Sorry to all the wonderful people who post and share curry recipes. They do sound lovely. But I run a mile at a curry. My first curry ever was when I started working in the city and was commuting. One Friday as a social event we all went to a curry house and was at a loss what to order. Not wanting to appear naive, I order a vindaloo. It went down and instantly burned things I didn't know would burn. My eyelashes melted. Felt that my innards were dissolving. I ate 1/4 of it before giving up. Caught the train and I made it home before I hit the eye of a needle at 40 paces. Figured that was the end of it, until the morning.
A vindaloo! Oh no 🥵💩

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.