Jack Monroe #244 Why has she turned this into supermarket sweep?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Wow, the last few days… I’m not sure what I have to add that hasn’t already been said!

I avoid lisitening to her but morbid curiosity got the better of me and I listening the the JOB interview 😱😱😱 I gave up after a couple of mins, how did anyone think she was in a fit state to be on? She was shambolic.

lastly, I’m laughing at Jackie thinking she can knock this new index up over the weekend 😂 I’m looking forward to her excuses as to why it doesn’t happen.

P.s. love to all who have been affected by her
I too have just had a listen. WTAF. She needs an intervention, I really hope her parents/friends did check up on her. She’s a grifter and a tall tale teller but she sounds unwell.

• Heart
Reactions: 42
She said somewhere she used to make money at speaking events at festivals etc

I think the Netflix money was loads which explains the christmas tree worth hundreds of pounds
Delurking to say I used to speak at events and for groups. I’m not a sleb but got paid £80-150 per talk. Most time that was for an hours talk and maybe 30 q&a/chat after.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
I'm local to MustardTree in Manchester and I will be furious is she comes here. They work with people who range from poor to absolutely destitute and those people have enough struggles in life without being used as poverty props for Jack's endless self promotion.
I have volunteered at Mustard Tree in the past. I cannot see what a visit from her would achieve. Do they somehow think she will raise awareness, because they will be sorely disappointed. The only awareness Jack wants to raise, is that of Jack Monroe, saviour of the povs.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 60
I'm still grunking and have also been BUSY adding to the wiki so sorry if this has already been discussed, but have I got this right - having volunteered herself to singlehandedly solve the rising cost of living and produce the #VimesBootsIndex, she's now assembling a "working group" who are essentially going to do the job for her? Is that the long and short of it?

Whaddawanker

• Haha
Reactions: 59
She sounds mashed out of her head in that LBC interview, not tired. The producers should have pulled her when they phoned her up. She's definitely going off the rails big time. Get help Jack and stop being fame hungry.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 46
The freddo index has already been done

View attachment 1007016

Jack could just about be up to tracking the price of basic rice and pasta. Especially as it's not gone up in the last year.

Maybe she could back up her conspiracy theory about prices being put up by the supermarket every single day by pennies to screw people. Her source seemed to be that she once worked in a supermarket and had a pricing gun 😆
Not to to a Jack here but I’m still outraged that they stopped making Taz bars and replaced them with ‘freddo caramel’
I would campaign for that!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 48
Sir Matt of Forearms isn't on Saturday Kitchen this morning as he's just been in hospital having his appendix out!

Saw this tweet 😬

View attachment 1006889
I mean what even are her top tips for low budget cooking? Aside from buying loads of yellow sticker produce you don't need and blending it all into slop? And making swaps like mince beef for corned beef which is actually more expensive per gram.

Genuinely I cannot think of a single budgeting tip. Am I being dense?

• Heart
Reactions: 56
Unfortunately had to go to the supermarket this morning, and among other things, buy Post-Its for work stuff. They didn't just have a packet of normal yellow ones so I had to get a multi-coloured pack (Tesco value tho, Jack) and I'm seething that my office might become akin to Monroe Towers.

🔺but I do a lot of research approval in a uni setting and I'm really having a proper laugh at Jack's "working group". How's she vetting the qualifications of the people she's added, other than by just blindly believing their tweets? How is she going to account for researcher bias when they come across data that doesn't fit the prescribed narrative she's started with? This isn't a case of "this is my hypothesis, and I am researching to see if I'm correct", this is "I am right and I am going to show you".

What's her timescale? How will she account for supply chain issues (both COVID and Brexit-related) impacting price, which CPI takes into account?
The whole point of CPI is that it recognises the breadth of the economy. Jack's "research" (and I use that so loosely) is extremely narrow, but lacking in the depth that would make that specificity meaningful.

If this proposal came in front of me, I'd laugh it all the way to the bin.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 85
Unfortunately had to go to the supermarket this morning, and among other things, buy Post-Its for work stuff. They didn't just have a packet of normal yellow ones so I had to get a multi-coloured pack (Tesco value tho, Jack) and I'm seething that my office might become akin to Monroe Towers.

🔺but I do a lot of research approval in a uni setting and I'm really having a proper laugh at Jack's "working group". How's she vetting the qualifications of the people she's added, other than by just blindly believing their tweets? How is she going to account for researcher bias when they come across data that doesn't fit the prescribed narrative she's started with? This isn't a case of "this is my hypothesis, and I am researching to see if I'm correct", this is "I am right and I am going to show you".

What's her timescale? How will she account for supply chain issues (both COVID and Brexit-related) impacting price, which CPI takes into account?
The whole point of CPI is that it recognises the breadth of the economy. Jack's "research" (and I use that so loosely) is extremely narrow, but lacking in the depth that would make that specificity meaningful.

I genuinely hope that she reads what you’ve written and takes note, if she even is going to do this project. I won’t be holding my breath though, as I value my respiratory system too much.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 44

And who is going to pay for this research?

It is all well and good relying on volunteers, but they will drop off very quickly when they see how chaotic Jack is. There are also incidental costs, who will pay them.

I predict another fail akin to the Kickstarter debacle.

• Haha
Reactions: 47
And who is going to pay for this research?

It is all well and good relying on volunteers, but they will drop off very quickly when they see how chaotic Jack is. There are also incidental costs, who will pay them.
Exactly!

I genuinely think there are very few people incapable of academic research. It doesn’t necessarily require the highest intelligence or the most innovative brain; God knows my colleagues and I are pretty ordinary, boring people.

But what good quality research does require is discipline, time, and unfortunately, money. You have to be willing to commit years of your life to projects, work rigorously, and come out the other side finding that you’re totally wrong, or that there wasn’t really anything meaningful in what you’ve researched. It’s tit, but we’ve all been there.

Jack simply doesn’t have the discipline. She is incapable of sitting down and humbling herself enough to do the work required for research. Also, you have to be able to tell the truth, so that cuts Ms. Monroe down at the first hurdle.

I’m going to go and have coffee and bake something not sloppy. Number Crunching Jack is worse than Tinned Fish Jack. I can't believe I'm once again wishing for fish.

• Heart
Reactions: 68
Exactly!

I genuinely think there are very few people incapable of academic research. It doesn’t necessarily require the highest intelligence or the most innovative brain; God knows my colleagues and I are pretty ordinary, boring people.

But what good quality research does require is discipline, time, and unfortunately, money. You have to be willing to commit years of your life to projects, work rigorously, and come out the other side finding that you’re totally wrong, or that there wasn’t really anything meaningful in what you’ve researched. It’s tit, but we’ve all been there.

Jack simply doesn’t have the discipline. She is incapable of sitting down and humbling herself enough to do the work required for research. Also, you have to be able to tell the truth, so that cuts Ms. Monroe down at the first hurdle.

I’m going to go and have coffee and bake something not sloppy. Number Crunching Jack is worse than Tinned Fish Jack. I can't believe I'm once again wishing for fish.
It also involves peer review. Not really sure Jack could cope with everything she did being scrutinised in the open by experts without her having the ability to set her monkeys on them.

We shall see what happens eh?

• Haha
Reactions: 49
My theory, and it's purely speculative, m'lud, is that there is no working party or crack team other than in Jack's fevered imagination. Neither is there an army of concerned friends making sure that she doesn't slip into a coma or have convulsions.
There is Jack, sitting in her 3/4 million pound rented house, wondering how the holy duck she is going to wriggle out of this one whilst praying for more well paid gigs in the meantime.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 64
Exactly!

But they have been commissioned by the government to write reports so they must be doing something right. Or have they really?

• Haha
Reactions: 36
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.